Pictures Producing 5/6yr olds

daffy44

Visit site
I wish Layla was still the patient sweetheart she used to be, she is going through a brat stage , kicked me twice when I was trying to get cross country boots on, and knows best in everything. Your boy looks lovely daffy and definitely good things are worth waiting for.

Layla is having an attack of the Kevins! Dont worry she'll grow out of it. I'm very lucky with this boy he's always been a sweetheart, ever since he was a foal, and he is still just a super cuddly big baby.

j1ffy

Visit site
Time for me to properly introduce another graduate to this thread. Chilli (Enchilada Ancla III) is a 5yo PRE who I bought as a weanling. His Uncle is my old dressage horse Indio and I know a lot of others from the same stud. He's been an inquisitive, friendly and bold chap from day one and far cheekier than his uncle, who tends to worry!

Baby Chilli, Autumn 2017:
El Ancla colt 2.jpeg

He had some time off in December then started hacking again in January (his belly was getting rather large as the grass didn't stop growing!), and we've been back in the school this month. He's absolute perfect to hack, not at all spooky out and about or in the school, and is happy for me to flap things around, take my coat on or off, travels, stables in strange places. Generally a complete delight except...he likes to test my leadership skills in the school which has manifested in a tendency to nap when asked to do something he doesn't fancy (such as calmly trot a 20m circle with good bend and contact!).

This past month I've been working on 'bitesize' steps, making sure we have good form in walk - including lateral movements to help him release and soften through the rib cage. This has now greatly improved so I've moved onto similar in trot but minus the lateral work and we got to the stage of a very good 'boring' trot to the left and much improved to the right.

My regular trainer came back yesterday and was very pleased with the improvement. Chilli did nap a couple of times in trot but I've got the measure of this now, and immediately spin a small circle then carry on as if nothing has happened. He went so well that we decided to reintroduce canter. After a couple of slightly hairy naps he decided to let me influence him and we ended up like this:

It felt like we had something of a breakthrough so I'm keen to see if we can pick up where we left off. He can have a day off today though as he worked hard so we'll pick it up again at the weekend, along with some hacking and pampering.

TheMule

Visit site
Time for me to properly introduce another graduate to this thread. Chilli (Enchilada Ancla III) is a 5yo PRE who I bought as a weanling. His Uncle is my old dressage horse Indio and I know a lot of others from the same stud. He's been an inquisitive, friendly and bold chap from day one and far cheekier than his uncle, who tends to worry!

View attachment 88070

He had some time off in December then started hacking again in January (his belly was getting rather large as the grass didn't stop growing!), and we've been back in the school this month. He's absolute perfect to hack, not at all spooky out and about or in the school, and is happy for me to flap things around, take my coat on or off, travels, stables in strange places. Generally a complete delight except...he likes to test my leadership skills in the school which has manifested in a tendency to nap when asked to do something he doesn't fancy (such as calmly trot a 20m circle with good bend and contact!).

This past month I've been working on 'bitesize' steps, making sure we have good form in walk - including lateral movements to help him release and soften through the rib cage. This has now greatly improved so I've moved onto similar in trot but minus the lateral work and we got to the stage of a very good 'boring' trot to the left and much improved to the right.

My regular trainer came back yesterday and was very pleased with the improvement. Chilli did nap a couple of times in trot but I've got the measure of this now, and immediately spin a small circle then carry on as if nothing has happened. He went so well that we decided to reintroduce canter. After a couple of slightly hairy naps he decided to let me influence him and we ended up like this:

It felt like we had something of a breakthrough so I'm keen to see if we can pick up where we left off. He can have a day off today though as he worked hard so we'll pick it up again at the weekend, along with some hacking and pampering.

Gosh he has really matured and come up in front now, hasn’t he? He looks like a proper grown up horse!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site

View attachment 88070

Chilli is fantastic. You must be so pleased with him.

Here’s my rising 6 yo - Mimosa is doing really nicely at the moment. Her trot work is so lovely, and she has just started to canter.

D268B94D-E618-45E7-9C7D-0371A299BB5F.jpeg

j1ffy

Visit site
Gosh he has really matured and come up in front now, hasn’t he? He looks like a proper grown up horse!

It's odd when you see them every day isn't it, as I hadn't really noticed a difference (he's also very inquisitive so it's hard to take a few steps away to get a proper look ?). I love looking at this video as there's a lot to work on but there's also a lot of potential. The moments when he fully tunes into me feel amazing, he's very sensitive and expressive - it's tempting to use it but we need to get everything as 'boring' as possible first!

Chilli is fantastic. You must be so pleased with him.

Here’s my rising 6 yo - Mimosa is doing really nicely at the moment. Her trot work is so lovely, and she has just started to canter.

View attachment 88105

She's so beautiful! Looks lovely there too. One day I'll fulfil my childhood dream of having a palomino ;)

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Isaac update - still quietly prepping for an eventing debut at some point the Spring! He's now got his back shoes on and stud holes in, so it could be in the next 6 weeks... maybe!

He's going to take a bit of a back-seat competition wise whilst older horse does first few BE events, but hopefully they'll start being able to go out together eventing soon!

Little video of him doing some simulated arena xc with various spooky things at home yesterday -

daffy44

Visit site
Well, since our last lesson a couple of weeks ago, my 5yr old has been amazing! We've had a couple of sticky months, really concentrating on the basics wih him not feeling great, but he was good in our lesson, and at home since then he really seems to have turned a corner. He just seems to be feeling so well, which is lovely, his work has been better every time, and when I went to get him in a couple of days ago he was just bouncing round the field off all four feet squealing to himself like Tigger on speed! Looking at him his withers have come up and his shape has changed, so I'm sure thats part of while he is feeling so good.

I know the challenge with him will be to translate the new quality of work away from home, so I took him out today to do an arena hire to somewhere he hasnt been before, and he was so good. He started off quite looky, but settled well and then he did work of almost the same quality as he does at home, the training really held, so I'm very proud of him. I still believe it'll be another couple of years before he starts to show what he is really capable, but he gives me such a good feeling, and he's still such a loving big puppy of a horse.

Attachments

• Bingo mirror.jpg
    Bingo mirror.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 8

GinaGeo

Visit site
Just a proud human post. We haven’t been out competing recently. I’m both too busy and too poor for that. ?

But we have spent the winter doing lots of work on our flatwork and spending a lot of time filling the confidence pots.

It’s no secret that Pod wasn’t the most forward thinking young horse. And this time last year getting down the drive to a neighbours school was an undertaking. I’ve learned that I need to lead from the front, and sometimes that means getting off and going first.

Quite by accident most of our hacking is done in pairs. Mostly because I have to box up and so it makes sense time wise. But the side effect was a Pod that would happily go first 90% of the time, but that would insist his friend went first at scary places. If his friend didn’t go first, Pod took that to mean it was very scary indeed and that we should get out of there. I’ll admit I hadn’t really noticed, but it became very obvious when setting out on Cross Country courses that he absolutely did not trust me when I said it was safe. The jumping wasn’t an issue. But the monsters that were surely waiting were.

Consequently, I’ve been making an effort to take him out alone. Until today on rides he does regularly, and we’ve had wobbly moments, but I could feel him growing in confidence each time. Because he genuinely had to look to me and couldn’t just borrow his mates confidence.

Today I had a day off work. It’s a Beautiful day. So I thought we’d go somewhere new. Took him to one of my favourite rides down by the river. He hasn’t actually done it before. But there are lot of gates and geese and bridges. All things that six months ago would have resulted in a “we should get out of here”.

But today as we cantered along the riverbank with a pair of geese flying down the river alongside us honking, my little horse didn’t even flick an ear. He did all the gates, even the really difficult ones. And was just an absolute joy to ride. He never once thought about spinning, and when I asked him to figure something out he did.

It certainly isn’t Burghley. And for the others it wasn’t a big thing. But for Pod, it’s been two years of careful confidence making, and I’m very proud of him.

5E5A1331-ED0D-48C1-B7F9-3568C6F905FF.jpeg

Attachments

• 6F3646CB-E369-47C3-B60E-B96FEEEA8AD8.jpeg
    6F3646CB-E369-47C3-B60E-B96FEEEA8AD8.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0

daffy44

Visit site
Another lesson for my guy, and he was just brilliant! At our last lesson about six weeks ago we had some really simple instructions that have proved to be the key to our progress, and since then he has been so good, we did an arena hire about a month ago to test the training away from home, and that went well, so I was really hoping we could show our progress to our trainer. Well, it worked, we had a lesson yesterday and for the first time it felt like riding a grown up, trainer was really pleased, and our progress was noticed and appreciated.
I'm still sure he is a slow burner of a horse, but he is giving me such a good feeling, and he is just the most trainable horse with the best attitude, and still a total, loveable giant puppy who is a pleasure to have, I feel very, very lucky to have him. He tried so hard in his lesson and was sleeping last night at late check, and this morning he had his breakfast and went straight back to bed, I went and sat with him, and we shared a mug of tea. I was almost worried we'd done too much with him, but then he went in the field and was galloping and broncing about, so not too tired then!

Attachments

• bingo at carls.jpg
    bingo at carls.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 24
  • bingo tea drinking.jpg
    bingo tea drinking.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

TheMule

Visit site
Another lesson for my guy, and he was just brilliant! At our last lesson about six weeks ago we had some really simple instructions that have proved to be the key to our progress, and since then he has been so good, we did an arena hire about a month ago to test the training away from home, and that went well, so I was really hoping we could show our progress to our trainer. Well, it worked, we had a lesson yesterday and for the first time it felt like riding a grown up, trainer was really pleased, and our progress was noticed and appreciated.
I'm still sure he is a slow burner of a horse, but he is giving me such a good feeling, and he is just the most trainable horse with the best attitude, and still a total, loveable giant puppy who is a pleasure to have, I feel very, very lucky to have him. He tried so hard in his lesson and was sleeping last night at late check, and this morning he had his breakfast and went straight back to bed, I went and sat with him, and we shared a mug of tea. I was almost worried we'd done too much with him, but then he went in the field and was galloping and broncing about, so not too tired then!

He looks a total sweetheart, and that trainable attitude is just priceless. Does he have any competitions planned?

TheMule

Visit site
A little Nova update from me, the mule is just coming back into work so no excitement there for a bit longer.
Nova remains a total pleasure to produce. We are going very slowly and carefully as I want to keep everything easy and relaxed for him with the long term in mind, but I think we need to start entering some competitions now. He did an SJ clinic with Eric Smiley on Saturday which was a useful reminder of the importance of the basics to produce a very rideable horse for the future, then we threw all the good training out the window by having a blast on a fun ride yesterday ?
I had been looking for a pairs hunter trial for him to start him off xc this year but there's nothing around locally that suits so we took a lead from @LEC's proper event horse and just had fun jumping lots of things out of a nice rhythm. I can confidently say he learnt more from doing that than several sessions of xc schooling would have taught him. He is generally bold and independent but can get a bit over-careful over new things and after about 10 jumps he stopped shortening up a bit, chucking his back end up in the air and coming down steep and just went from his normal canter- he is still super neat and careful but the jump flows. He was a joy ?

618E3627-01BC-4344-AAFE-E86834352163.jpeg

j1ffy

Visit site
A little Nova update from me, the mule is just coming back into work so no excitement there for a bit longer.
Nova remains a total pleasure to produce. We are going very slowly and carefully as I want to keep everything easy and relaxed for him with the long term in mind, but I think we need to start entering some competitions now. He did an SJ clinic with Eric Smiley on Saturday which was a useful reminder of the importance of the basics to produce a very rideable horse for the future, then we threw all the good training out the window by having a blast on a fun ride yesterday ?
I had been looking for a pairs hunter trial for him to start him off xc this year but there's nothing around locally that suits so we took a lead from @LEC's proper event horse and just had fun jumping lots of things out of a nice rhythm. I can confidently say he learnt more from doing that than several sessions of xc schooling would have taught him. He is generally bold and independent but can get a bit over-careful over new things and after about 10 jumps he stopped shortening up a bit, chucking his back end up in the air and coming down steep and just went from his normal canter- he is still super neat and careful but the jump flows. He was a joy ?

View attachment 90580

I absolutely love that photo! You look like a great partnership.

TheMule

Visit site
I absolutely love that photo! You look like a great partnership.

It's a cracker isn’t it?! I think he will probably bankrupt me in event photos though as he is like this over every fence ?
I just adore him- he is all the best bits of his mother but with a more level brain and more scope. Now we need to start to think about going eventing ?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com

View attachment 90580

He just looks like such a natural for technique - copybook!

daffy44

Visit site
What a picture TM!! Such a beautiful technique, I bet he's just a joy to sit on over a fence, and a homebred too, what a credit to you.

My guy did two shows last November, and then we forgot about competing over the winter but its time to start going out a bit more now, as he still lacks some confidence away from home. So I may do a couple of YH classes, purely as a training exercise as it gives me the opportunity to get him in a test arena with another horse, but I'll do a normal show first to see if the confidence has improved, and then we wont bother with the YH class.

TheMule

Visit site
Whispers my golden girl has her first Be80 this Friday , show jumping is the worry as she is a little casual at the moment so very jealous of nova TM . Not aiming for any ribbons just a positive experience, will let you know how she gets on ?

Good luck!!

j1ffy

Visit site
Whispers my golden girl has her first Be80 this Friday , show jumping is the worry as she is a little casual at the moment so very jealous of nova TM . Not aiming for any ribbons just a positive experience, will let you know how she gets on ?

Good luck! It's so exciting seeing the graduates from the 3/4yo thread embarking on their careers :D

daffy44

Visit site

Very best of luck! I hoe you have a brilliant time!

lannerch

Visit site
Well I am happy to say Layla has completed her first BE80 at Eland lodge this weekend.
She did a lovely dressage test which was quite harshly marked but still got a credible 33, show jumping was bright and spooky in a fairly tight mirrored arena , she backed of few loosing impulsion so has 3 down.

Cross country she started off green nearly stopped totally at the second fence but gained in confidence around the course which was up to height and asked enough questions , so I was thrilled when she managed a clear with only a few time penalties, ending a credible 13th in her section.

She was not ridden by me but my friend who backed and produced , and I swear she will jump off a cliff for him.
No cross country photos yet
Just this of her warming up for dressage and a not too clear video of the cc

Attachments

• 3168D721-1DD3-4683-9F53-F57B64937634.jpeg
    3168D721-1DD3-4683-9F53-F57B64937634.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 21

TheMule

Visit site
Well I am happy to say Layla has completed her first BE80 at Eland lodge this weekend.
She did a lovely dressage test which was quite harshly marked but still got a credible 33, show jumping was bright and spooky in a fairly tight mirrored arena , she backed of few loosing impulsion so has 3 down.

Cross country she started off green nearly stopped totally at the second fence but gained in confidence around the course which was up to height and asked enough questions , so I was thrilled when she managed a clear with only a few time penalties, ending a credible 13th in her section.

She was not ridden by me but my friend who backed and produced , and I swear she will jump off a cliff for him.
No cross country photos yet
Just this of her warming up for dressage and a not too clear video of the cc

Well done- what a great milestone to reach! You now officially own an event horse ?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Great stuff @lannerch she looks fab!

Isaac has also done is first ODE - 90 at Breckenbrough. 33.8 dressage where the nice bits felt really nice, 1 down SJ and then a super clear XC just 3 seconds off the time - wasn't aiming for any speed other than a comfortable pace that let him get into a rhythm with no speeding nor corner cutting, so happy with that. Warts and all video here - he was much bolder than I expected over the ditch hence it being a bit uncomfortably tight to the rail - but to be fair to him, he's sharp in front when needed. Onwards to Kelsall BE90 next weekend before a couple of easy weeks to reflect on what he's learnt in his new career!

Oh and he was 9th overall and 2nd place 5yo, so came home with rosette ?

lannerch

Visit site
Great stuff @lannerch she looks fab!

Isaac has also done is first ODE - 90 at Breckenbrough. 33.8 dressage where the nice bits felt really nice, 1 down SJ and then a super clear XC just 3 seconds off the time - wasn't aiming for any speed other than a comfortable pace that let him get into a rhythm with no speeding nor corner cutting, so happy with that. Warts and all video here - he was much bolder than I expected over the ditch hence it being a bit uncomfortably tight to the rail - but to be fair to him, he's sharp in front when needed. Onwards to Kelsall BE90 next weekend before a couple of easy weeks to reflect on what he's learnt in his new career!

Oh and he was 9th overall and 2nd place 5yo, so came home with rosette ?

He looks fabulous you must be thrilled, congratulations rachelferd you too own an event horse ❤️

Last edited:
Reactions: TPO

j1ffy

Visit site
Isaac and Layla are both looking fantastic! So exciting for you both, they look very grown up and solid in their work.

I admit I am a little envious as Chilli is still a long way off being able to compete :p He has plenty of ability but gets into such a mental twist, I think it's mostly down to a sense of perfectionism (yes, I'm anthropomorphising) combined with not yet having the balance to do things well. The walk and trot are pretty solid now and doing lateral work has helped a lot, he finds it easy and it means I can help explain to him where to place himself. Canter is still a bit of a disaster, particularly on the right rein, but I'm just hoping the work in W&T means he's getting stronger and more balanced. I'm also a bit wonky at the moment so will see if a trip to the osteopath on Thursday helps matters.

Hacking and handling is still fab, we had a great 'away' hack on Saturday for the first time this year including a water crossing.

j1ffy

Visit site
Chilli had his second jump last night and seemed to enjoy it. His general cockiness is evident between the jumps but once he’s lined up I can soften and he focuses and jumps boldly, he seems to enjoy it and was looking for the next one so I think we’ll continue and hopefully his first outing can be a clear round or dinky SJ competition this summer - I think it would be lower pressure than expecting him to focus on a dressage test! I suspect XC could be pretty fun on him but I'd need to upgrade my brave pants.

The trainer also rode him for me a couple of times last month and said he’s like riding a mare as he's so opinionated, he's definitely going through a cocky phase and doesn't think he needs to listen if it's something familiar. Trainer thinks getting him out and about will help as he may look for more support away from home, however I think Chilli's a funny combination of over-confident and anxious so I'll keep it slow.