Pictures Producing 5/6yr olds

TheMule

Visit site
Chilli had his second jump last night and seemed to enjoy it. His general cockiness is evident between the jumps but once he’s lined up I can soften and he focuses and jumps boldly, he seems to enjoy it and was looking for the next one so I think we’ll continue and hopefully his first outing can be a clear round or dinky SJ competition this summer - I think it would be lower pressure than expecting him to focus on a dressage test! I suspect XC could be pretty fun on him but I'd need to upgrade my brave pants.

The trainer also rode him for me a couple of times last month and said he’s like riding a mare as he's so opinionated, he's definitely going through a cocky phase and doesn't think he needs to listen if it's something familiar. Trainer thinks getting him out and about will help as he may look for more support away from home, however I think Chilli's a funny combination of over-confident and anxious so I'll keep it slow.

I think he's enjoying that! He's also going to have the most amazing piaffe and passage isn’t he?!

j1ffy

Visit site
I think he's enjoying that! He's also going to have the most amazing piaffe and passage isn’t he?!

He should do, and he’s incredibly adjustable in lateral work when he decides to let me in. I think he’ll be one of those to work on for a couple of years then start in earnest at Medium as he’ll never do well (or be able to focus) at the lower levels. He’s an exciting horse and has a huge character!

ahml100

Visit site
Golly everyone looks super! I also have a 3/4 year old graduate who has not yet appeared on this thread and is overdue an update. So my boy is a Cos Me Is Black x TB (dam sire Zaffaraan), who finished his four year old year with starting the basics of jumping. Mid December he was turned away for a holiday and came back into work end of Feb, beginning of March. On Tuesday he had his second lesson since coming back into work and wow wow wow I could not believe how much stronger he is even compared to just last winter.

Video below is a small snippet of trot work, it does start with him raising the head to try and evade the contact but each time we just hold that contact that little bit longer and gosh, what a feeling he gives me, really starting to work over his back.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Ao6Z9bBFtVM?feature=share

The next one is just a little strike off to canter - who knew such small things could be so rewarding?!

https://youtube.com/shorts/Qjpty7-zFd0?feature=share

And finally our first ever incredibly baby course! Now, as you can see over fence one, we have an awful lot of power but at the moment cant quite control it! So, it is a little bit bunny hopping coming back into the trot. However, I was so impressed with how he took fences 2 & 3 trotting calmly into them and just cantering the final stride before popping over in a very calm manner. Then there is the last fence ;) What did I do to deserve such a sweet horse?! As you will see I did get left behind so did my usual 'hunting job' of slip the reins so not to catch him in the mouth. He would have had every right to spook at me coming back down to earth but he just came back to a trot so that I could gather up my knitting again.

https://youtube.com/shorts/TDuwTDBxWi4?feature=share

The plan now is to get him out to do some arena hire as the arena is only 20x40 which is a little bit small to do anymore.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Chilli had his second jump last night and seemed to enjoy it. His general cockiness is evident between the jumps but once he’s lined up I can soften and he focuses and jumps boldly, he seems to enjoy it and was looking for the next one so I think we’ll continue and hopefully his first outing can be a clear round or dinky SJ competition this summer - I think it would be lower pressure than expecting him to focus on a dressage test! I suspect XC could be pretty fun on him but I'd need to upgrade my brave pants.

The trainer also rode him for me a couple of times last month and said he’s like riding a mare as he's so opinionated, he's definitely going through a cocky phase and doesn't think he needs to listen if it's something familiar. Trainer thinks getting him out and about will help as he may look for more support away from home, however I think Chilli's a funny combination of over-confident and anxious so I'll keep it slow.

He is extremely cute over a fence! Funny that a clear round trip can be lower pressure than a dressage test - but I totally get that. It's quite easy for them to start to understand the right answer jumping (go over it, preferably clear!) rather than the many instructions of a dressage test.

daffy44

Visit site
Well, I'v been out again with my guy, I was a little disappointed at how green and behind my leg he went, but then I had a word with myself, and realized my expectations were extremely high, and a little unfair on him. This horse doesnt have a bad thought in hs head, he always tries his best, and he genuinely finds going away from home distracting and a little overwhelming, so its my job to help him get braver with this. Also, I was lucky enough to have a friend with a camera, and looking at the pictures I can see how much he has come on, even if it felt like a mile away from the quality of work we are doing at home.

Attachments

• Bingo trot onley april.jpg
    Bingo trot onley april.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 30

daffy44

Visit site
In the photo he is looking amazing daffy . Layla has got so much better the more she’s gone out. You will get there .

I know he will, I'm being a little unfair on him, its just that he is so good about everything that he causes me to always have such high expectations! I know that long term he will be brilliant, his work at home is making me so excited for his future, I'm delighted with him.

j1ffy

Visit site
Well, I'v been out again with my guy, I was a little disappointed at how green and behind my leg he went, but then I had a word with myself, and realized my expectations were extremely high, and a little unfair on him. This horse doesnt have a bad thought in hs head, he always tries his best, and he genuinely finds going away from home distracting and a little overwhelming, so its my job to help him get braver with this. Also, I was lucky enough to have a friend with a camera, and looking at the pictures I can see how much he has come on, even if it felt like a mile away from the quality of work we are doing at home.

He looks lovely in that photo, a little cautious and babyish in his face bless him! I'm sure a few more outings and he'll be a different horse.

He is extremely cute over a fence! Funny that a clear round trip can be lower pressure than a dressage test - but I totally get that. It's quite easy for them to start to understand the right answer jumping (go over it, preferably clear!) rather than the many instructions of a dressage test.

Yep, it does seem odd but I've found it useful for anxious horses - there's less to worry about as they just have to go forward in vaguely the right direction instead of needing to be micromanaged to produce an accurate test. At the heights that I jump, the poles themselves aren't really a worry ?

TheMule

Visit site

He looks super and I'm sure it's just a matter of gaining some more confidence as he goes out more

Alibear

Visit site
Amber and I had a silly little blip towards the end of March. We've been rebuilding our confidence in each other a little bit, and with the help of the sunshine and a good instructor and friends, this weekend was great. Had a lovely relaxed hack out on Sunday with our favourite wing pony and person. A gorgeous little highland cross who looks just like a connemara and his lovely owner who is excellent at chatting about work and families etc., as we go round, which avoids any nerves. We even met 3 gentlemen on those laydown bicycles with the little flags. They were accommodating, spotted us early, pulled entirely off the road on the opposite side, switched off their flashing headlights, and knew to say hello and good morning early on so the horses could figure out what they were. Puddles lead the way past without any issues :D Sunday was a lesson at home and my instructor brought over some bits to try as I felt Amber was starting to lean a little on her correctional, which is not good. Tried her in a shank jointed roller snaffle without a port, and we had a much happier and softer Amber with a considerable reduction in head lifting and wiggliness. So much so that my instructor had a crack at a few flying changes, and then I hopped on and managed one. OK, I was only collecting back for a simple change, but we did it. It's a start. I know there's a long way to go yet, and they are western changes which are closer to SJ ones than dressage ones, but it was something new. My instructor has kindly lent me the bit even though it's her horse's favourite one, whilst I try and source one for myself.
I've needed a little boost, and this weekend was it.

Last edited:

TheMule

Visit site
Nova went to RC camp this weekend and was just super from start to finish. We had 4 really productive lessons- SJ where he was quite cocky but jumped his biggest course yet really well, 2 xc lessons where he just grew and grew in confidence and ended up finding the 90 course very simple indeed, and a flat lesson where we found a new canter. I thought he would be tired by the end but he was actually jumping higher and getting sharper. Turns out he's one of those that HAS to go first or he's a bit of a sod ?
He is entered for his first event next weekend ?

From green baby…..
2EFEC65E-6BE4-48B9-A5DE-302FAD685CCC.jpeg
25C50802-347A-40CB-AF06-CBF525410660.jpeg

To bold event horse!

53621998-BAD8-4E73-9FBB-CD411EB513AA.jpeg
87E61389-61BF-481B-9F6F-906D4A6D7D93.jpeg

daffy44

Visit site
TM, Nova looks fantastic!! I'm excited for his first event next weekend, you must be beside yourself.

J1ffy, cautious and babyish is the absolutely perfect description of him at a show, thats exactly what he feels like, so the poor boy boy is going to be hauled about to different venues this summer til he gains some more confidence.

lannerch

Visit site
Nova went to RC camp this weekend and was just super from start to finish. We had 4 really productive lessons- SJ where he was quite cocky but jumped his biggest course yet really well, 2 xc lessons where he just grew and grew in confidence and ended up finding the 90 course very simple indeed, and a flat lesson where we found a new canter. I thought he would be tired by the end but he was actually jumping higher and getting sharper. Turns out he's one of those that HAS to go first or he's a bit of a sod ?
He is entered for his first event next weekend ?

From green baby…..
View attachment 91557
View attachment 91561

To bold event horse!

View attachment 91558
View attachment 91559
Exciting, he looks superb giving everything air , good luck ?

lannerch

Visit site
TM, Nova looks fantastic!! I'm excited for his first event next weekend, you must be beside yourself.

J1ffy, cautious and babyish is the absolutely perfect description of him at a show, thats exactly what he feels like, so the poor boy boy is going to be hauled about to different venues this summer til he gains some more confidence.
Doing totally the right thing Layla has come on so much since we did just that, loosing more of her caution every time .
After her first event ,on the way to her second last weekend she has previously been difficult to load , this time she loaded herself at speed. Obviously really starting to enjoy it .

lannerch

Visit site
I reached a milestone in the week, I have recently lost my confidence jumping, I lost it at a disastrous clinic where she did an awful lot of stopping and I fell useless , frightened even to jump a tiny log, hence I got my friend who backed and produced Layla event her for me.

Well he made me get on her and take her XC round the BE course at Kelsall , the idea was I would jump the 80’s and he would do some 90’s with her.

There was no 80’s so I ended up jumping the 90’s and even some of the 100 she was awesome , and so was I , my mojo is back. I am so happy. I’ve remembered Hiw to do it. He didn’t have to get on at all as I had not ruined her . ( they have their first 90’s next weekend . )

video evidence attached of me doing the 100’s water

https://youtube.com/shorts/aw9FijqitQo?feature=share

Last edited:

AntiPuck

Visit site
I have been stalking this thread for a while, but suppose I can technically join-in now, as I have a 5, almost 6, year old ID (although "producing" is a generous term for what I'm doing with her at the moment!).

I've had her almost 2 months, so still very much getting used to each other, but I want to keep it simple and focus on lots of hacking and in-hand work to build her strength and fitness up for the foreseeable, as she's unfit and quite weak at the moment, struggles to balance and hold up her feet, step over things, etc. Luckily, we have quite hilly hacking and some nice obstacles around, so that should all help.

I'm hoping in time she will make a great fun ride horse, and perhaps do a bit of jumping, maybe XC or mock hunts, as she has a great pop to her jump and seems to be very brave.

Attachments

• IMG-20220502-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220502-WA0001.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-20220424-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220424-WA0001.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 23

TheMule

Visit site
I reached a milestone in the week, I have recently lost my confidence jumping, I lost it at a disastrous clinic where she did an awful lot of stopping and I fell useless , frightened even to jump a tiny log, hence I got my friend who backed and produced Layla event her for me.

Well he made me get on her and take her XC round the BE course at Kelsall , the idea was I would jump the 80’s and he would do some 90’s with her.

There was no 80’s so I ended up jumping the 90’s and even some of the 100 she was awesome , and so was I , my mojo is back. I am so happy. I’ve remembered Hiw to do it. He didn’t have to get on at all as I had not ruined her . ( they have their first 90’s next weekend . )

video evidence attached of me doing the 100’s water

https://youtube.com/shorts/aw9FijqitQo?feature=share

Great job, well done- confidence is not easily re-built so great that she has restored it in you

rextherobber

Visit site
I have been stalking this thread for a while, but suppose I can technically join-in now, as I have a 5, almost 6, year old ID (although "producing" is a generous term for what I'm doing with her at the moment!).

I've had her almost 2 months, so still very much getting used to each other, but I want to keep it simple and focus on lots of hacking and in-hand work to build her strength and fitness up for the foreseeable, as she's unfit and quite weak at the moment, struggles to balance and hold up her feet, step over things, etc. Luckily, we have quite hilly hacking and some nice obstacles around, so that should all help.

I'm hoping in time she will make a great fun ride horse, and perhaps do a bit of jumping, maybe XC or mock hunts, as she has a great pop to her jump and seems to be very brave.
I think you have exactly the right approach with an ID, mine grew 5" between the age of 8-10, slowly is definitely best for them. Cracking horses though, and yours looks fab!

AntiPuck

Visit site
I think you have exactly the right approach with an ID, mine grew 5" between the age of 8-10, slowly is definitely best for them. Cracking horses though, and yours looks fab!

Thank you, that's very reassuring to hear!

Although, I really hope she doesn't grow as much as yours did, she's pretty tank-like already in the flesh ?

lannerch

Visit site
Layla had her third event ever and first BE 90 on Saturday at Richmond , was a 3am start for me , but boy was it worth it. She did a lovely dressage of 29.8 even though she broke in one of the canters , a clear sj and a lovely clear on a bold track XC .

Unfortunately she had 2.4 naughty time penalties for going to fast which moved her from 2nd place to 6th. But over the moon.

Isn’t it lovely when all your hopes and ambitions for the horse you bought as an unbanked youngster or better still bred yourself start becoming a reality . It’s been a long road but so worth it.

Attachments

• C68098A8-887A-4A95-A4FF-C97C77283AA2.jpeg
    C68098A8-887A-4A95-A4FF-C97C77283AA2.jpeg
    476.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

TheMule

Visit site
Layla had her third evebt ever and first BE 90 on Saturday at Richmond , was a 3am start for me , but boy was it worth it. She did a lovely dressage of 29.8 even though she broke in one of the canters , a clear sj and a lovely clear on a bold track XC .

Unfortunately she had 2.4 naughty time penalties for going to fast which moved her from 2nd place to 6th. But over the moon.

Isn’t it lovely when all your hopes and ambitions for the horse you bought as an unbanked youngster or better still bred yourself start becoming a reality . It’s been a long road but so worth it.

Absolutely brilliant, well done! It really is the best feeling ?

j1ffy

Visit site
Layla had her third event ever and first BE 90 on Saturday at Richmond , was a 3am start for me , but boy was it worth it. She did a lovely dressage of 29.8 even though she broke in one of the canters , a clear sj and a lovely clear on a bold track XC .

Absolutely brilliant - well done!!

Boughtabay

Visit site
I finally have something to contribute! After what felt like an age before getting started things have come on well with my now 5yo over this spring. We’ve now completed 5 little rides around the farm and I’m proud as punch of how he’s behaved so far. Taking a step back after he’s had over a week completely off due to illness (mine) and will be back to long reining out & about off the farm for a week or two before we start hacking proper! Photos after ride 1 & 2 on my 5yo PRE (3/4) x sec D. He’s going to be for RC, hacking or whatever he enjoys really.
He seems a bit behind the impressive achievements of this thread, but I’m taking it all incredibly slowly and just enjoying the process as he’s the only one I’ve got to do and I’m in no real rush to achieve anything in particular! A few in hand shows this summer and maybe a dressage test or two before the end of the year and a good hack are my main goals.

Attachments

• A5A7F368-C325-458A-96F1-3A1244B473A0.jpeg
    A5A7F368-C325-458A-96F1-3A1244B473A0.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 27830485-6D07-4A5D-B41E-27DC5695C904.jpeg
    27830485-6D07-4A5D-B41E-27DC5695C904.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 21