Pictures Producing 5/6yr olds

Scarlett

Visit site
Really nice to see everyone's updates.

Raisin went to his first sj last weekend. We'd been to the venue twice before for arena hire, but this was his first time hacking there alone and going to a show.

He was a star. Coped with the other horses, people, dogs, warm up, everything like a pro. Rolled a pole in the 70 but jumped a lovely clear in the 80. Too slow to place against the wizzy ponies but it really didn't matter. Am still incredibly impressed by him. He was ridden by a friend as my back isn't up to jumping atm, and we're planning some arena eventing, more sj and maybe some dressage in the upcoming months.

Also my jeep is fixed, trailer has been refurbished and I no longer need to take a towing test so that opens up a lot of options too!

Pic from the 80.

Attachments

• LRG_1514-001.jpg
    LRG_1514-001.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 40

GinaGeo

Visit site
Once you’re through the baby baby years the ‘notable’ firsts get less and less and it’s far more about slowly and quietly improving the quality of the work whilst pushing forwards with the education.

It’s just as rewarding but the rapid rate of progress slows and therefore the updates for this thread have decreased. It’s great to keep an eye on progress though - so a quick update ?

Pod was going great guns and then had an impromptu four week holiday whilst he brewed and then got over an abscess ?

I thought he might come back a bit wild. He has done in the past. We haven’t any easy lunging facility, so I took him for a walk, decided he was being a grown up boy and clambered on to walk him home.

We’ve since been out to Dressage where he scored a 65% in his Prelim and 62% in the Novice. He was a little emotional in his first warm up, but he was grown up enough to stay with me and kept himself together for his test. The second warm up was much more rideable and the test the same.

He’s still got a lot more strengthening to do. But I was pleased with how he went. The consistency has a long way to go, but he’s starting to be able to hold an open frame whilst swinging through his back and keeping his balance.

And we had a jumping lesson on Saturday. It was round a course and we built up to a decent track. He’s a pleasure to Show Jump - has a lovely rhythm, isn’t flamboyant with his jump but is careful. And he really learns. I’ve got my head in a mess with Show Jumping in the past, but he makes it really easy for me and for the first time I think I understand why people enjoy it ?

I’ve got some more outings planned and think I’ve found a new dressage trainer - lesson booked for November ?

I’ve tried to find a picture, but the stills from the video are all too blurry.

So you’ll have to make do with the fuzzy, early morning Podrick who’d snuck back to bed before breakfast ?

94E99453-9E1E-432A-BEDE-18CC1AB0AF75.jpeg

dixie

Visit site
Great update and lovely photo!

My boy had a bit of a nappy stage and then ducked out of a jump and I came off in August. Since then my trainer has been jumping him with a view to jumping him at a couple of shows before I get back on. The aim is to make him confident and that stopping is not an option.
In between I have taken him to the beach, the moors and on pleasure rides and he’s been an absolute star.
we also had our dressage debut a couple of weeks ago. He’s had contact issues and is not consistent at all but improving all the time. He was really good and actually knuckled down to do two nice tests. One intro for 66% and 2nd and the other 68% in Prelim and 5th in a biggish class.
so overall I’m really pleased with him and he’s an adorable cheeky boy ?DA1B927A-F551-4766-A46E-303A3FA2CBCE.jpeg3ADDEC61-9675-4FD0-8DFC-DDBE32A46C77.jpeg

j1ffy

Visit site
It's lovely seeing all the young horses maturing - they all look to be making great progress!

My boy will be graduating to this thread in the New Year, he turns 5 in early March and I'd like to get some 5yo advice. It's not particularly training or competing but I appreciate the experience on this part of the forum!

A few years ago I organised and joined a charity long distance ride on my old boy, riding the Ridgeway over three days covering about 48 miles. A group of us are thinking of doing the ride again and a few of us now have youngsters so we'll adjust accordingly. It's not confirmed yet but I'm getting excited so planning way ahead.

So my question is - how many miles would it be reasonable for a 5yo to do?

I will be roping my OH into doing some drop-offs / pick-ups so can hopefully be pretty flexible in how many miles we do. I was thinking of doing the full first day - about 14 miles - then either skipping the second day entirely or just joining for a couple of miles, then joining the last 8-10 miles on day three. Does that sound far too much?

Chilli will be turned away in a gently rolling 20 acres for a few weeks over Dec / Jan and will have been back in work for about 12 weeks, so plenty of time to build up the work. He enjoys hacking and the longest we've done to date is a hilly 6 miles.

Alibear

Visit site
I'm not sure if this helps but everyone considers Amber to be one of the fitter horses on the yard. A 1 1/2 hour steady hack is enough for her in a new place at the moment as mentally it's tiring for her and she'll get a bit sour after that.
I don't hack much but we've done a few camps this year. 3 hours of group work a day and by day 3 we're skipping sessions and taking things very easy as she's very tired. It takes a good two weeks of careful management afterwards to ensure she doesn't slip back mentally and physically. It's been a major learning curve for me that whilst she's pretty game and happy to give most things a good try. She does need careful recovery time afterwards. Stamina seems to take a few years of regular work to create and I guess as they're still growing that's a large part of it.
Insert the usual all horses are different caveat in here :D

j1ffy

Visit site
I'm not sure if this helps but everyone considers Amber to be one of the fitter horses on the yard. A 1 1/2 hour steady hack is enough for her in a new place at the moment as mentally it's tiring for her and she'll get a bit sour after that.
I don't hack much but we've done a few camps this year. 3 hours of group work a day and by day 3 we're skipping sessions and taking things very easy as she's very tired. It takes a good two weeks of careful management afterwards to ensure she doesn't slip back mentally and physically. It's been a major learning curve for me that whilst she's pretty game and happy to give most things a good try. She does need careful recovery time afterwards. Stamina seems to take a few years of regular work to create and I guess as they're still growing that's a large part of it.
Insert the usual all horses are different caveat in here :D

I'm on a yard of predominantly hunters, team chasers and eventers (plus a few happy hackers) so my horses are generally comparatively unfit! Like Amber, Chilli is very game and so far has been fab to hack both alone and in company, and in new areas. I know he'd give the full ride a good go if I let him but that's definitely not going to happen!

Three hours of group work on a camp would probably exhaust me, let alone Chilli ?. He'll be able to go home to his own field overnight during the ride so I think that will reduce the mental strain, it's the physical that I'm more concerned about tbh.

Unrelated but I do enjoy following your progress with Amber, it's fun seeing a completely different discipline on the forum!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've just got back from my 6 year old's first time round the fun ride and first time hacking in company that he doesn't know. Aside from a fear of water and steps, that I knew about already, he was absolutely ace. And for a horse who isn't the most confident in the world I was surprised just how willingly he went off for a canter and left the other two behind. I even managed, with a lead, to get him to cross the stream, and finally to do it going first. I'm sure one day he will paddle through it instead of jumping it ? And he also walked through loads of puddles.

I'm chuffed with that and now considering teaching him to jump ...

Last edited:

GinaGeo

Visit site
I think long slow hacking work is probably the most natural kind of work a horse can do. But agree with alibear that it can take them awhile to build the fitness up.

Pod did do a 12 mile hilly ride round Ladybower in the March of his five year old year. It was the furthest he'd gone at the point, and the terrain was challenging in places. He thoroughly enjoyed himself, although was a little mentally tired by the end and I would have happily given him a quieter day and then done 8-10 miles a day later. I would follow that up with a bit of rest though.

To be honest it was a bit of a turning point for him as we were going through a bit of a Kevin phase and he thought he knew everything. That ride did actually get him to pipe down and knuckle down a bit.

I wouldn't have concerns about your plan, especially as you can give him a quiet day in the middle ?

YCBM- sounds like a super outing ?

j1ffy

Visit site
I think long slow hacking work is probably the most natural kind of work a horse can do. But agree with alibear that it can take them awhile to build the fitness up.

Pod did do a 12 mile hilly ride round Ladybower in the March of his five year old year. It was the furthest he'd gone at the point, and the terrain was challenging in places. He thoroughly enjoyed himself, although was a little mentally tired by the end and I would have happily given him a quieter day and then done 8-10 miles a day later. I would follow that up with a bit of rest though.

To be honest it was a bit of a turning point for him as we were going through a bit of a Kevin phase and he thought he knew everything. That ride did actually get him to pipe down and knuckle down a bit.

I wouldn't have concerns about your plan, especially as you can give him a quiet day in the middle ?

YCBM- sounds like a super outing ?

YCBM - that sounds like a lot of fun!

GG - thank you, that's useful info. The Ridgeway is surprisingly unchallenging given the steepness of the hill up to it, so hopefully that will make it easier, and he can have a good break afterwards.

It also occurred to me how careful we all are with our youngsters. A friend runs riding holidays in Spain and would think nothing of building a 5yo up to doing multiple full day rides a week!

Alibear

Visit site
Amber and I had great fun at the Versatility Ranch Horse clinic on Saturday.
Rear cinch = no problem
Log drag in walk and jog and also stand still and pull it towards us = no problem
Stand still untied whilst I try and fail to rope a pretend cow in front of her = no problem
Rope pretend cow whilst mounted = no problem
Bit blooming awesome all at 5 years old :)
I love my pony she is totally wonderful. We also did a big rattly metal gate from horseback yesterday with a gator/ATV thing driving past as I lent down to reach the 2nd latch = no problem.
Excuse my concentration face in the photos, I had a wonderful time but I'm not showing it!
Small roping photo Ambers ears forwards.JPGTrot log drag small.JPG

Last edited:

Alibear

Visit site
On Saturday, we went back to Thetford forest, loaded on and off a friend lorry nicely, ate the entire journey, and had a great ride around with her 5 years 17hh warmblood buddy. She kept up :) I'm thrilled as she was calm and chilled and happy to go at any pace and position and came back off weight aids or voice no bother. There's a nice long straight track for cantering/loping, and she goes upside or comes back and move back up etc., no problem.
Schooling at home, the lope is showing signs of progress, her balance is getting better with me, and we're starting to be able to do the slower lope on a long rein without motorbiking the corners or dropping her shoulders and going flat.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
We've graduated onto this thread!

Got 2022 started with a trip out BS showjumping. Isaac jumped his 2nd British Novice DC and also won his first bit of prize money coming 3rd!

He was most put out by the big Christmas tree in the corner - but was very happy to get on with the job of jumping. Just got lots of work to do to smooth it all out and get the flow. But full marks for his effort and boldness...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I didn't realise Isaac was a Bazaars. He's looking good ?

Ludo resigns from this thread now he is 7. He's been agonisingly slow to mature with his hypermobility and is only just reaching the level of strength where I would want him to jump. That might happen this year as we move to livery with the facilities to give it a go regularly. Farewell thread. ?

dixie

Visit site
Joe is lame ?
He comes out of the stable in the morning very stiff but works it off very quickly and proceeds to drag me down to the field. The vet had told me to keep riding him, in walk.
it’s been like this for about 6 weeks now
He feels awful for the first few strides and then feels fabulous, marching out in his usual way. It’s very frustrating and worrying.
The thinking is that he’s currently growing and possibly has sticking patella/stifles ? I’m speaking to the vet again this coming week with a few videos.
I’m really hoping it’s growing issues that will resolve itself and not something more sinister. I’ve not had one like this before.

Barlow

Visit site
Please could I join the thread? I’ve just bought a rising 6yo, 16.3hh gentle giant. He arrives in two weeks and I’m excited to get to know him! He’s been on a pro dressage yard, homebred. Not backed until 4.5 and I get the feeling that he’s always been the forgotten one. Hopefully it means he’s low mileage with some untapped potential!?

GinaGeo

Visit site
Of course Barlow!

Good luck to everyone graduating as 7yr olds and hello to the new 5yr olds ?

We’re now entering Pod’s 6yr old year and getting glimpses of knuckle dragging Kevin ?

We went to a test riding clinic today. A little wild to start, but worked through it and settled once we got stuck into the lateral work and unlocked his rib cage.

He can be sensitive in the contact and I don’t think I’ve got the bridle or bit 100% right yet. But he’s so much more connected and is able show much more adjustability.

Overall a very useful outing. I think I’d better find him somewhere to go.

09842517-6403-47EA-BB0C-3865C956E193.jpeg

racebuddy

Visit site
This is my 6 year old full
Connie had since September ??❤️❤️ Plans to event but no rush with him just getting used to arena hire through winter xx

Attachments

• 7B753ADF-C7B4-4231-8C13-38301281347E.jpeg
    7B753ADF-C7B4-4231-8C13-38301281347E.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 44D32F6A-C55F-4B22-ACBE-1E4ED21CB664.jpeg
    44D32F6A-C55F-4B22-ACBE-1E4ED21CB664.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 24
  • AF8AF3C1-570E-4274-A336-79AAB8D2DCB2.jpeg
    AF8AF3C1-570E-4274-A336-79AAB8D2DCB2.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 24

Barlow

Visit site
So mine arrived yesterday after a five day/four night journey across Europe. I mostly left him alone yesterday and this morning, then a quick brush before lungeing (more like letting off steam) and then asking some helpers to come out with me to lead him on a short circular route round the lanes.
He’s understandably quite unsettled but he coped with being led round the lanes very well, a little hesistant at times but not bothered by a car passing us. Cyclists on the other hand are terrifying, he won’t have seen those before. He doesn’t have many boundaries/isn’t overly respectful of personal space but I think that will come as he settles in and realises that he is now home. He’s bigger than I’ve been used to, and although he is six this year he is very definitely still five in his behaviours and attitude. 2C07A148-1A07-4C6A-8663-7F91C98DA7FD.jpeg

Barlow

Visit site
He's a lovely sort Barlow. I like the kinky tail :)

I’ve never had a horse with a tail like it before! No idea how I am going to keep it clean, there’s so much of it and it is so thick. I think the kinks are probably because it was kept plaited before? Maybe I should do the same!

Barlow

Visit site
So today I found a saddle to fit, tacked up and lunged him first and then with side reins. Was pleased that he was relaxed enough to start lowering his head rather than looking like the giraffe I had yesterday.
Walked him inhand around the school and he clearly had never seen mirrors before, or horses grazing.
He stood like a lamb at the mounting block, moved off slightly once I was on but I suspect that was because I was having a bit of a “eeek” moment. It’s been a long time since I’ve sat on something so young/babyish. We did walk circles and changed the rein a few times within the circle and then I called it a day.

j1ffy

Visit site
So today I found a saddle to fit, tacked up and lunged him first and then with side reins. Was pleased that he was relaxed enough to start lowering his head rather than looking like the giraffe I had yesterday.
Walked him inhand around the school and he clearly had never seen mirrors before, or horses grazing.
He stood like a lamb at the mounting block, moved off slightly once I was on but I suspect that was because I was having a bit of a “eeek” moment. It’s been a long time since I’ve sat on something so young/babyish. We did walk circles and changed the rein a few times within the circle and then I called it a day.

He sounds like a sweetheart! Where’s he from and what’s his breeding?

Barlow

Visit site
He sounds like a sweetheart! Where’s he from and what’s his breeding?
Thanks he is! He’s a pure bred Lusitano from Portugal. He was only started last year and it’s been a while since I’ve ridden such a young horse but he was a total sweetheart when I tried him in Portugal so I’m hoping once he settles in he will go back to his chilled self! I wasn’t expecting much given he’s not been off the lorry 48hours so he has done well today, and he was very pleased with himself afterwards too!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Popping in to ask for a quick bit of advice regarding my rising 6 year old.

He's at the age where he thinks he's the bees knees (so do I but don't tell him!) and is becoming aware of his own strength.

He's always been a VERY forward going hack but we've reached the point where I need to trot him in the school for 10 minutes plus prior to a hack to get any sense out of him. He's basically gone from forward going to being quite strong and a bit of a show off.

I'd like to nip this in the bud and I'd normally speak to my instructor but I don't have lessons over winter as the weather here is too awful and I just end up cancelling them. So will probably be March before we pick up lessons again.

Can anyone advise in the meantime?

I'm having to be stronger with my hands than I'm comfortable with and no amount of schooling either in the school or on a hack helps. He hates being in the school but absolutely loves hacking out hence his 'enthusiasm'!

He's currently ridden in a French link with a lozenge. He chomps on it constantly but he is a very mouthy pony who loves chomping and chewing on things (including me...he was late cut and I've recently started him on RigCalm to see if it helps).

Any ideas? Would it be worth having a bit fitter out?

Thanks!

Barlow

Visit site
Gorgeous pics RachelFerd!

SEL - is it solo hacking that he is struggling with? Could you try hacking in company? What do you do when hacking? Long boring walks with shoulder in and leg yield to get him thinking and focussed on you might be something to try?

I’ve had mine ten days now. So far we have hacked out twice in company, once in hand on our own, been lunged and had two lessons in the school. Out hacking he got a bit upset turning for the home for the first time but the second time he was chilled out about it. He met the bin lorry on our second hack this morning and couldn’t have been less bothered. I parked him in a gateway with cows one side and the bin lorry came down the road on the other side about 6ft from him and he stood solid as a rock. I am very pleased with him, he’s a real sweetheart. He’s not as forward in the school as when I tried him but I think that will come in time once he settles in properly, but we have had a trot and a canter on both reins and he is less suspicious of although not entirely happy with the mirrors in there. I’m reluctant to provoke a reaction when I don’t know him well enough so haven’t been asking too much of him.
We are moving out of quarantine this week to his permanent stable so that will be another step forward.

southerncomfort

Visit site
He does it whether we are solo or in company. I think he just gets so excited he loses his head a bit.

I've tried doing the same hack every day and it made no difference.

Maybe I just need to persevere until I restart my lessons and ask if my instructor can walk with us on a hack and advise.

He's such a nice pony otherwise!