Pictures Producing 5/6yr olds

TheMule

Visit site
Just an update! My mare had her hock surgery back in February. Turns out the chip had detached and floated into the mid/back of her hock joint. Ouch!

Surgeon said it would have been very painful so no wonder she was bucking and unhappy.. so glad I stuck to my guns of insisting something was wrong and going for surgery.

She’s been back in work 6 weeks now, we are cantering now. Not a single buck, much more powerful canter even on the right rein which was the bad rein. Tail is still held massively to the right when cantering right, vet doesn’t think this will ever go (can only try)

She’s feeling well, do get some problems when she’s in season so considering regumate.

How is everyone getting on? 😊

Oh goodness- lucky you found the issue and have solved it. Horses are amazing, aren’t they?

Nova has a tiny little bit of an injury after a kick so he's just on quiet walk work right now. Therefore I treated myself to the Equireel video of what has been his only run so far this year (😕)

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Oh goodness- lucky you found the issue and have solved it. Horses are amazing, aren’t they?

Nova has a tiny little bit of an injury after a kick so he's just on quiet walk work right now. Therefore I treated myself to the Equireel video of what has been his only run so far this year (😕)

Wow TM. Is that him this year as a 5yo? He looks so grown up!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Ah. I’ve been a bad owner!

Had the saddler this week. Turns out I was doing my girth up FAR to tight, 4 holes to tight.. 😱 it’s not a mega cheap girth either, professional choice.. but the elastic is very flexible which isn’t a good thing. Can’t believe she isn’t girthy.. must of been uncomfortable!

The saddler also checked our bridle and from cleaning it last week, the cheek pieces were really uneven. 🤦🏼‍♀️ explains why she was fussy in the mouth last weekend, I’m usually so on it with that!

The saddler then took a photo, did some lines and turns out her has a really asymmetrical face. Her left side, eye, nose all sits lower than her right. The saddler dropped the bit on the left side, and it made a big difference when I rode!

Bought a new girth, saddler recommended.. well found it second hand, LeMieux Gel Tek and will ensure I don’t over tighten it! Seems a really nice girth, soft leather and padded. Fits her lovely. Has elastic but it’s really tight (not like my professional choice!)

She felt really nice tonight.. went for a chilled hack and she wanted to hold herself in a natural outline and I could feel her back lifting.. almost felt like a different horse! Fingers crossed it continues.. and kicking myself for not noticing 1. Girth was so tight under her rib cage for the last however many months and 2. The bit!

j1ffy

Visit site

What a lovely round! He looks an absolute joy, you must be very proud of your homebred :) I hope he's fully back up and running soon!

TheMule

Visit site
What a lovely round! He looks an absolute joy, you must be very proud of your homebred :) I hope he's fully back up and running soon!

Thank you. He really is just a delight, I feel incredibly lucky. In a way I don’t mind taking a bit of extra time now because it's all in there for the future, though I am itching to get back going again

daffy44

Visit site
Well, its my guy's sixth birthday today, and we celebrated with some lovely hacking. I'm delighted with his progress overall, he did his first elem a month ago and got 70.86%, at home he pretty much understands all the Medium work, but it needs some polish before its test ready of course. He has also started to learn to sit a little, which I have to be very careful with because he finds it very easy and I dont want him to do too much, he needs to build up the strength gradually. He has a good confirmed change one way, and slightly wild, bit hit and miss change the other way. The side effect of this work though is that he is growing out of saddles at an alarming rate, so this mornings hack was bareback while his saddle is away being widened!

Picture is where it all started 😍

Attachments

• bingo and mum just born.jpg
    bingo and mum just born.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 12

lannerch

Visit site
Thank you. He really is just a delight, I feel incredibly lucky. In a way I don’t mind taking a bit of extra time now because it's all in there for the future, though I am itching to get back going again
That’s what I think with Layla being off this year , although hopefully Nova unlike Layla will be back soon , you only have so many runs so any delay now does absolutely no harm whatsoever. Just a pain to have to wait

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
@TheMule - he just looks like a pleasure to ride - frustrating to have to have another little break, but it didn't look like he needed a run to know what he was doing that time, so I'm sure you'll be away again with no trouble.

Turns out I missed Isaac's official birthday on 24 April, but a few days after that he did his first BE100 run, and I treated myself to the video. You can see over the course of the video he goes from being a bit green, to being really nice, to get a bit cocky as he went on - he really loves to run and cover the ground. Looking forward to consolidating at this level with him for the rest of the season. SJ still a bit weak, dressage progressing well (he's done a few Ele tests at home in unaffiliated classes scoring well). XC he wants to be a machine, but doesn't yet know what he doesn't know!!

I watched another Bazaars Exclusive horse win the 2nd 4*S class at Chatsworth last weekend, so that was nice and inspiring :D

TheMule

Visit site
@TheMule - he just looks like a pleasure to ride - frustrating to have to have another little break, but it didn't look like he needed a run to know what he was doing that time, so I'm sure you'll be away again with no trouble.

Turns out I missed Isaac's official birthday on 24 April, but a few days after that he did his first BE100 run, and I treated myself to the video. You can see over the course of the video he goes from being a bit green, to being really nice, to get a bit cocky as he went on - he really loves to run and cover the ground. Looking forward to consolidating at this level with him for the rest of the season. SJ still a bit weak, dressage progressing well (he's done a few Ele tests at home in unaffiliated classes scoring well). XC he wants to be a machine, but doesn't yet know what he doesn't know!!

I watched another Bazaars Exclusive horse win the 2nd 4*S class at Chatsworth last weekend, so that was nice and inspiring :D

I love that type of video- Equireel is nice to have, but so limited in what you can actually see. Isaac looks great ⭐

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I love that type of video- Equireel is nice to have, but so limited in what you can actually see. Isaac looks great ⭐

Although sadly you can't see the really skinny triple bar wedge thing coming out of the water because of the car in the way :(
I also enjoy that I can see a friend running up the course trying to video me on a phone on the video :D

UKa

community.webshots.com
How do people channel their exciting ideas? I have sooo many things I would love to do… my pony is 5 now. We spent the winter hacking and groundworking I am still mindful of her age. We have now been to our first dressage clinic. it was so much fun. Want to focus on what’s on offer locally. I am tempted to try a jumping clinic/ lesson and maybe enter an intro dressage later in the summer. Ideally take her cross country schooling I think we both would enjoy that. Would you focus on flat work first though or try it all out now?

j1ffy

Visit site
Bumping the thread for @shortstuff99!

A quick update while I'm here - Chilli had another niggle (still not sure what) and I played it safe with another six weeks off. He's been back in work a month and is feeling great, and surprisingly fit - I think he's atypical of a Spanish and keeps himself pretty fit in the field! We have our first dressage lesson since December next week, obviously we'll be taking it a bit easy, and some working equitation planned for later in the month.

TheMule

Visit site
Bumping the thread for @shortstuff99!

A quick update while I'm here - Chilli had another niggle (still not sure what) and I played it safe with another six weeks off. He's been back in work a month and is feeling great, and surprisingly fit - I think he's atypical of a Spanish and keeps himself pretty fit in the field! We have our first dressage lesson since December next week, obviously we'll be taking it a bit easy, and some working equitation planned for later in the month.

Great to hear you're back up and going. Nova is 'doing a Chilli' and it's just one thing after another. He looks good now so we're going to start back up again, but it is incredibly frustratin. He's 6 and he has managed a grand total of 3 events in his life. And yet he's the easiest and most straightforward young horse I've ever had 🤔🙄😖

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Thanks j1ffy!

I will copy my post here too so then I can keep track!

Like others Bean has been trying her best to kill herself on a regular basis!

Bean the baby Spanish has been going well! She turned 5 in may and is still pretty immature. We have been doing some online dressage tests and scoring mid 60s which is pretty good as she lacks strength in the connection yet. Training hacking and going for little rides in the lorry to prepare going out.

We have also been learning jumping and she loves it! Not very Spanish but we enjoy it :)

Little video of her second ever time jumping and an outtake spook at the end when she spotted a new horse behind the hedge 🤣

j1ffy

Visit site
Great to hear you're back up and going. Nova is 'doing a Chilli' and it's just one thing after another. He looks good now so we're going to start back up again, but it is incredibly frustratin. He's 6 and he has managed a grand total of 3 events in his life. And yet he's the easiest and most straightforward young horse I've ever had 🤔🙄😖
It's so frustrating, isn't it?! I keep telling myself that he's only 6 and the time off does no harm in the long run, but... At least you've done three events, we've managed one Intro test away from home so far 😂

He does seem to have matured mentally now, I can relax the trot, add more power and go back to relaxed - which felt like a pipe dream last year. The walk and trot lateral work is all there (even one-handed, which I've been doing for a bit of fun). The canter is greatly improved too but the canter transitions are...interesting... Once we've cracked those again we'll hopefully be able to get out for some comps as long as he stays sound!!

TheMule

Visit site
It's so frustrating, isn't it?! I keep telling myself that he's only 6 and the time off does no harm in the long run, but... At least you've done three events, we've managed one Intro test away from home so far 😂

He does seem to have matured mentally now, I can relax the trot, add more power and go back to relaxed - which felt like a pipe dream last year. The walk and trot lateral work is all there (even one-handed, which I've been doing for a bit of fun). The canter is greatly improved too but the canter transitions are...interesting... Once we've cracked those again we'll hopefully be able to get out for some comps as long as he stays sound!!

I've told Nova that I'm expecting this time back at the end of his career- he had better keep going until at least 18 🫣
We'll get there. Just a little more patience….

Boughtabay

Visit site
ooh the notification for this thread came at a good time! We’ve just been to our first ever camp & despite still being gangly at 6 (he keeps growing!) and having a brain half that age, the little Spanish dragon behaved himself. Though he is now demanding he has his own stable because being a bog pony isn’t the life he chooses anymore!

Attachments

• IMG_9977.jpeg
    IMG_9977.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 8

lannerch

Visit site
How funny Layla is too, her tendon healed really well so she decided to slice her leg open on the electric fence , also healing well, but one thing after another. Think Layla has done 5 events none this year though.