Products that actually work!

NinjaPony

Visit site
I thought it would be handy to have a thread where people can post recommendations for products they use that actually do the job they are meant to! There are so many equestrian products out there, so this is for tried and tested products that do the job they claim to do! I’ll start:

Shires arma over reach boots.
The only boots my destructive pony has not managed to destroy. He’s had his pair over a year which is an all time record, and despite being pulled off countless time, they are still completely intact! All other over reach boots I’ve tried, including expensive Kevlar ones, have been wrecked by him but not these!

Mega-Tek serum
I’ve been using this for over a month now and where there was once a bald patch there is hair! First product I’ve used on my sweetitch pony that has actually visibly helped his hair grow back.

Tri-Tec fly spray
Does actually stop the flies bothering him so much. He’s allergic to the bites so gets upset but this does the job and doesn’t smell bad.

Please add yours below!
(Needless to say this is just tried and tested, not sponsored or anything...)

ihatework

Visit site
The only product that really immediately springs to mind, for which I haven’t found better/equivalent is red horse hoof stuff.

My big horse central sulcus gets very deep, especially through winter, and easily thrushy.

Wedge that in the gap, it stays in, clears up infection and the gap stays far shallower

Most horsey products work to a certain extent, but are overpriced and not worth buying when you can get similar results with equivalents

Annagain

Visit site
The Quick knot plaiting pin thingies. Look like sewn plaits and quicker than bands. I'm not sure they''d work on a tiny thin mane but they're great on my boys' mops.

Good Hands grooming gloves. Archie detests being brushed but goes all gooey eyed and wobbly with those.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
while we're on a grooming topic... the supergroomer pad that looks like a blown up scouring pad is excellent for grooming knobbly faces, knees etc. and I think the Haas curry comb is the best thing to knock mud off a coat quickly without scratching sensitive horses.

31Ys5o5SKWL.jpg

71iaznCIglL._SX355_.jpg

pistolpete

Visit site
Love my super groomer. Also very fond of my smart groom for mane ‘pulling’ no pulling required.

Attachments

• 832FD8A4-1035-407E-A7BB-6A871E1682D3.png
    832FD8A4-1035-407E-A7BB-6A871E1682D3.png
    323.5 KB · Views: 12

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I do like my easigroomer (hacksaw blade in a bit of wood)
spring curry comb.
cowboy magic detangler and shine
pro choice girth
ecogold saddle pad, nuumed ones a close second.

Courbette

Visit site
Another vote for Mega-Tek. I used it to improve condition on a long mane, regrow hair over a bald patch and after reading it could be used on cracked hooves to heal my own split toe nail! Is great stuff.

NinjaPony

Visit site
barrier leave in wash products or equivalent, the equimins ones worked as well. I use a lot in winter, owning a greasy sweaty beast prone to scabs if you don't wash.

Ooh yes! I use the pesky pest wash and lavender wash for hot clothing clipped ponies and they are great.

vhf

Visit site
Ooh and Filtabac. Brilliant as a sun block or for putting on minor cuts and grazes. I'm convinced it makes my nails much stronger too.

Is that a similar product to sudocrem?? (My tackroom staple) because I swear my nails grow better the more my disaster-prone coblet injures herself...

Lintel

Visit site
Cornucrescine hoof dressing.

So good for your own nails too makes them really tough. Although it is super sticky and stinks!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Cornucrescine hoof dressing.

So good for your own nails too makes them really tough. Although it is super sticky and stinks!
nooo it smells amazing, like old fashioned cough sweets!
I've been dipping back into an old pot for scrappy TB who gets scrapes and bald spots like it's a hobby, it does seem to help get the scuffed bits growing hairs again (or at the very least it stains the skin a dark colour so they don't show, haha!)

Annagain

Visit site
Is that a similar product to sudocrem?? (My tackroom staple) because I swear my nails grow better the more my disaster-prone coblet injures herself...
Similar consisitency but it's not oil based so doesn't cook their noses like Sudocreme can and it has antibacterial and antiseptic properties so good for wounds. The blurb on the pot calls it a second skin. I imagine (just from the feel on my skin) the Sudocreme is a bit more soothing, but the Filtabac does more to protect wounds / skin. Last summer during the heatwave, I was putting it on Arch twice a day every day (rather than the normal once on the hot days) and my nails have never been better. I even had nails long enough to warrant a manicure (my first ever at 40yrs old!)

Reactions: vhf

Follysmum

Visit site
Leather cleaner and conditioner from Wilko £2

Attachments

• AF46C4E1-F975-411B-8822-B19ECDC08677.jpeg
    AF46C4E1-F975-411B-8822-B19ECDC08677.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: DD

Boulty

Visit site
Red horse *insert any hoof related product here* does what it says. End of.

Supergroomer= best remover of a multitude of muck & grease from awkward bits ever & great for those days when you literally want to give a quick flick off with something... Fab on clipped bits & summer coats although not so great on really thick winter ones.

Speaking of winter coats deshedding blades are fab for getting thick mud & grease out before proceeding to actual brushes & very satisfying for getting moulting hair out of course!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Filtabac is great stuff for my accident prone horse. Really rate the stuff. Wish I could remember the make of my springy stirrup irons, but they are a godsend.
I have a decorators sheepskin mit which is quite a cheat as it brings the horse up so shiny after a quick wipe over, without spending ages brushing.

LegOn

Visit site
MP Gloss products - especially the hot oil revaitalise and diamond coat dazzler spray, really never had coat shine work so amazingly and condition the coat aswell!

Also Mother Bee Soothe & Protect - also regrows hair amazingly! Used it on a scruffy, rubbed tail & it was amazing within weeks!!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
NAF Thrive for horses that are skinny. I always seem to buy skinny horses. One tub of this added at the recommended dose to very low value feed (such as chaff with a bot of added extra, like Agrobs) makes them eat hay like a horse (!) means they are happy and docile and they pack weight on. All my horses end up fat, despite eating very little. Most shops don't stock it, so I order online, but I have never needed more than 1 tub to up the horse's weight and they keep the big appetite.

Nuumed wool numnahs. They don't feel the most luxurious of all, but they are great for their backs and wash and dry overnight. They also don't leak colour, and last forever (if washed with wool wash and brushed every use).

Calf skin covered stirrup leathers. Cost around £80 but last many, many years.

Fancy French hoof grease. Can't remember the name, but they do a barefoot one that seems to encourage great growth and no cracks.

Close contact saddles. Feels odd to ride in a big panel now.

vhf

Visit site
Similar consisitency but it's not oil based so doesn't cook their noses like Sudocreme can and it has antibacterial and antiseptic properties so good for wounds. The blurb on the pot calls it a second skin. I imagine (just from the feel on my skin) the Sudocreme is a bit more soothing, but the Filtabac does more to protect wounds / skin. Last summer during the heatwave, I was putting it on Arch twice a day every day (rather than the normal once on the hot days) and my nails have never been better. I even had nails long enough to warrant a manicure (my first ever at 40yrs old!)

Thank you