Professional dressage rider - no hat?!

Muddywellies

Visit site
Just seen that a well known professional dressage rider went for a lesson with this country's most famous and well respected rider/trainer, and wasn't wearing a riding hat.
The mind boggles. Are you less likely to have an accident if youre a professional rider? (I'm thinking big powerful fit competition horses) What sort of example is this? Did the trainer not insist on this person wearing a hat? Does the insurance not stipulate that hard hats are worn? Why oh why will some people not wear a hat?

Littlebear

Visit site
Just seen that a well known professional dressage rider went for a lesson with this country's most famous and well respected rider/trainer, and wasn't wearing a riding hat.
The mind boggles. Are you less likely to have an accident if youre a professional rider? (I'm thinking big powerful fit competition horses) What sort of example is this? Did the trainer not insist on this person wearing a hat? Does the insurance not stipulate that hard hats are worn? Why oh why will some people not wear a hat?

If the trainer is who I think it might be I’ve been there a few times and the first time absolutely nobody was wearing a hat that I saw ride.
I am on the side of it being individual choice personally.
Of course the sensible option is to wear one but we could all also argue that everyone should wear body protectors yet we don’t.

Teaboy

Visit site
I use to ride without a hat, when I was young and stupid. Only schooling on the flat but I would go for dressage lessons hatless, none of the riders would be wearing hats and I wanted to fit in/thought it looked better. Now I just think about how much of an idiot I was then to be so big headed I thought I was invincible.

Muddywellies

Visit site
My sister has a severe brain injury (from a car crash) that has basically made her forever dependant. Heads are quite precious to me. I don't really get why anyone would ride without one.

Exactly. I cant think of a single reason why someone wouldn't put one on? And it's so disappointing that role models like this still aren't insisting on wearing appropriate headgear. I saw the pictures on FB so Im sure hundreds of others did, and I was astonished at how many 'likes' the post got. Has there been absolutely no progress made in the wearing of hard hats???

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Has there been absolutely no progress made in the wearing of hard hats???
While it may be disappointing that someone posts hatless pics on social media, I think it's undeniable that there has been LOADS of progress regarding proper head protection... I think CDJ did a lot for that as she was one of the first to always wear a hard hat with tails. Now the FEI are banning top hats (next year IIRC). The dressage world is definitely changing.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Well it's pretty dumb not to wear one (and to make sure it fits properly, which many don't) but you'll never convince everyone that they have to, except in competition with rules.

In several decades of riding horses, my worst injuries have come from falls in walk, doing nothing in particular, so the risk is always there even if you think the activity is relatively mundane.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I don't wear a hat because I don't want to. My choice. If you all want to wear hats I don't mind, and I don't make a big song and dance about either choice. Oh, and I'm not especially stupid either, before anyone gets all riled up and starts the usual stuff.

I am well aware that riding is a dangerous occupation, so are many things. I have ridden in many, many different places in the world and it really does seem to be an especial bee in the bonnet (ha!) in the UK, other places are more relaxed. Funnily enough I have not noticed there being an excess of people falling on their heads in other countries.....

AnShanDan

Visit site
I certainly know people whose lives have been saved because they were wearing a hat. One in particular who was an excellent pro-rider, her horse got a fright and slipped on concrete and she fell heavily. She spend many weeks in hospital and had a long road to recovery but she did recover, without her hat she would not have. There are times when putting on a riding hat is the last thing I can be bothered to do, but you only have one head.

Of course adults can decide for themselves about the risks, but to publicise riding without a hat, when impressionable children will see and admire, is unacceptable, especially if that person teaches too.

I don't in all honesty think wearing a hat can be compared to wearing a BP though, a BP is restrictive and some horse sports are virtually impossible in one. Once a hat is on you don't notice it at all (well it keeps your head dry if the weather is anything like it's been recently ;))

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
"Impressionable children" is always trotted out as a reason to wear a hat. I don't have children, other children presumably have parents to tell them about the world, and I am not going to put on a hat just in case some child sees me riding. The Queen doesn't wear a hat (and she's survived 'til 93), but that's not the reason why I don't wear one.

JFTDWS

Visit site
The Queen doesn't wear a hat (and she's survived 'til 93), but that's not the reason why I don't wear one.

I have a secret little fantasy that you are actually the Queen, having constructed a significant cover story for yourself. I mean, she must get bored in all those meetings and traveling around all over the place - I'm sure she'd love to pop in for a spot of horsey banter sometimes!

tristar

Visit site
my hat and gloves are the first things i put on when going near a horse to do anything other than lead it in, but if i think it will be naughty i will wear a hat to lead in, for lunging, walking down the road, riding anywhere surface or road, loading in lorry, vet or farrier

i am proud to wear a hat because i hope others will think about it and see the reasons, i mean ok i have bouncy unpredictable horses who try not to tread on me etc, however i have noticed that while concentrating on what movements they are making its difficult to see where you are stepping and in the event of falling over who knows how you might fall or go up a wall ect

i always remember an old farmer saying ``wear a hat cause if you hurt your arm it might get better but if its you`re head you might not.``

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have a secret little fantasy that you are actually the Queen, having constructed a significant cover story for yourself. I mean, she must get bored in all those meetings and traveling around all over the place - I'm sure she'd love to pop in for a spot of horsey banter sometimes!
Damn.....rumbled.

AnShanDan

Visit site
"Impressionable children" is always trotted out as a reason to wear a hat. I don't have children, other children presumably have parents to tell them about the world, and I am not going to put on a hat just in case some child sees me riding.

Don't think I was suggesting that you didn't wear a hat for that reason unless you are teaching kids. You can do whatever you like, chances are high that you'll be fine, but from my point of view as PC DC and parent, it's better if kids think wearing a hat is the norm and it's not perceived to be cool to not do so.

Leandy

Visit site
I think that is their business not yours! If they want to take the risk it is up to them and they are consenting adults. It isn't a good example no but the nanny state we live in is not ideal either in my view. I wouldn't do it but that doesn't mean they need it discussed all over the internet by do gooders!

And
Are you less likely to have an accident if youre a professional rider?
Well yes probably you are! Which doesn't mean there is not risk of course but they can assess that themselves.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I don't know if a pro is less likely to have an accident - arguably they are likely to ride less forgiving more highly strung horses than your average amateur, and are likely to be getting closer of the boundaries of the horse's training comfort zone than someone bobbling around at home. You could reasonably expect their riding to be of a higher standard than average though, granted. I am not sure that the risks are that simple to weigh up really.

Though I do agree it's for individuals to decide, and I am in support of pro-safety hat examples being made by professional riders. sitting on the fence. In my hard hat.

Equi

Visit site
Haha how bloody fab would that be. Welcome your majesty!

nikkimariet

Visit site
I'm in favour of letting people make up their own minds. Children will be told quite rightly by their parents. Adults... Well, balls in our court.

I used to ride without a hat. Now I don't. My riding has changed - younger, less predictable horses and also thanks to innovation I can wear a hat without suffering a crippling headache (I even struggle with hair bobbles etc).

I would still feel comfortable riding Fig (at home, on a surface) without a hat. I've had him 9 years this December and I trust him implicitly. I would also ride Bruce without a hat, he's a gent. I wouldn't ride anything else without a hat. Sorry Rooni, not today Satan!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I ride with a current comp level hat, have always worn one even in the days of cork hats and elastic under the chin.
My own yard rule is hat and sensible footwear.
Having been a PC instructor for many yrs, I felt I needed to show example and these days its habit and sense of self preservation that I still wear one.

One year we had a rather good instructor come in at pc camp for a demo to 40 odd 10 to 15 yrs olds. The then DC was apoplectic when she realised that they were getting on with no hat, discussions were had, he wore a hat.....

The Trooper

Visit site
I won't ever do much without a hat, but I will ride to and from field bareback with a headcollar without a hat occasionally. I'd only ever do that with mine though as I trust them with my life (Evidently).

The troll in me also likes to ride through the yard to my stable block/tie up from the field with no hat to see what looks I get from some of the others up there.

My head, my decision. I'm big enough and sure as hell ugly enough to make my own mistakes.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I am well aware that riding is a dangerous occupation, so are many things. I have ridden in many, many different places in the world and it really does seem to be an especial bee in the bonnet (ha!) in the UK, other places are more relaxed. Funnily enough I have not noticed there being an excess of people falling on their heads in other countries.....

I wonder if it's because of the NHS, in part, as all of are expected to pay for anything that happens as the result of not wearing one? it is an interesting cultural phenomenon.