Professional dressage rider - no hat?!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
It's all relative isn't it.

Like, the whole thing... life and stuff and riding other beings and being friends with them. That's a very special thing.

It's more consciousness required when dealing with idiots not related to you and what you are doing. Especially when you think you have control of all of that. When you don't. When it's not you, it's them.

Last edited:

maya2008

Visit site
Historically, I think horses were bred for the job, trained and exercised more. A war horse might be feisty but well trained. A ladies’ hack was safe and sensible.

Nowadays many horses do not have perfect manners on the ground or under saddle, they are under exercised and fed well. Competitive ‘spark’ is valued over an easy ride. People want a horse for peanuts and won’t pay a premium for a well mannered horse in itself, they will only pay for comp results. Cost of keep is high, so trainers turn out horses fast so they have a hope of turning a profit.

And attitudes change. In the UK, people boast that their horse is ‘difficult’ or ‘spooky’ or whatever, because it makes them look like a good rider because they can control it.

Hence the greater need for safety gear perhaps?

Equi

Visit site
Ive already said why heads are precious to me (NB: my sister has a brain injury from a car crash and is now dependant on care)

People not wearing hats makes me sad. Not angry or indignant, if you don't want to thats ok you do you..but i will still feel sad. Ive lived with brain injury my whole life and no matter why its happened, its still brain injury.

But then you can walk down the street and fall and hit your head too. Ill still feel sad about it though. I wear hats, and thats that. I don't think my mum would let me not wear one even at 33!

CrazyMare

Visit site
If I went to A&E with a bashed head, and they discovered that I had no knickers on, I'd be asking for medical staff with a better sense of direction

Depends how bashed your head is. A trauma called patient would have all their clothes cut off, we'd quickly establish the lack of knickers!

I don't get on a horse without hat or proper boots.

I want to mitigate the risks as much as I can.

I have the same rules for push bikes and motorbikes. No ride without all relevant safety equipment.

I've had to tell families their loved one has a life changing/unsurvivable brain injury and I've had to answer questions about whether the outcome would have been different with helmets/seat belts/safety clothing. Let me tell you, it never, ever gets easier.

I've had two patients with similar accidents with completely different outcomes because of their safety clothing or lack of.

I don't want my family to be in that relatives room, wishing I had made a different choice, or wishing they could have persuaded me to make a different choice. My family are happy for me to choose risky sports, if I have mitigated the risks I can.

tristar

Visit site
Depends how bashed your head is. A trauma called patient would have all their clothes cut off, we'd quickly establish the lack of knickers!

I have the same rules for push bikes and motorbikes. No ride without all relevant safety equipment.

I've had to tell families their loved one has a life changing/unsurvivable brain injury and I've had to answer questions about whether the outcome would have been different with helmets/seat belts/safety clothing. Let me tell you, it never, ever gets easier.

I've had two patients with similar accidents with completely different outcomes because of their safety clothing or lack of.

I don't want my family to be in that relatives room, wishing I had made a different choice, or wishing they could have persuaded me to make a different choice. My family are happy for me to choose risky sports, if I have mitigated the risks I can.

can`t beat an opinion from the coal face

Muddywellies

Visit site

Thank you so much for posting this