Professional schooling - yay or nay?

{97702}

Visit site
Would you consider asking a professional you trusted to school your horse if you had the opportunity? What would your reasons be for ‘yes’ or ‘no’? Just curious :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes: that's what a professional is for, surely? I'm amazed at the number of people who struggle along without it occurring to them to take lessons or get a trainer on the horse.

LeannePip

Visit site
YES YES YES

Especially if its your YO, I wouldn't hesitate.

We seek professional advice on so many different aspects of our horses, having a professional school your horse a few times or more frequently isn't a failure or an easy way out atall. I really like to see a pro on my horse and then get a few lessons from them.

Tr0uble

Visit site
Now, not unless it was a structured programme of them training the horse and then lessons for me - with the aim of progressing the horse and teaching me alongside.

Even then I'm not sure as I like to do things myself with the help of a trainer.

But, I did get a professional to back her. She was a sensitive horse to back (a little cold backed and hated the leaning over stage!) and my nerves got in the way and I made the decision to let someone bolder than me do the first bit so I wasn't creating issues.

Best thing I ever did, and I now have a lovely straight forward horse who's done very well competing. They basically just taught her how to carry a horse forward softly, and installed the basic WTC buttons. I had them come for around 3 months at the very end of her 3 year old year into the start of her 4 year old year, and then I started riding her before they stopped so it was a gradual handover.

humblepie

Visit site
Gosh yes - for most of us the horses are not the day job and so whilst we like to think we can do it, we can't always. Edited as realised didn;t say why - I was struggling a bit with mine, not his fault but whilst I have ridden for years, I hadn;t ever really taught a horse the bits he needed to learn and so it was much better for someone else to help him. I haven't had anyone else school him now for a couple of years but i am struggling with something so am going to ask someone to ride him to help with it. The poor animal puts up with enough of my bad riding, he deserves someone who can show help not hinder him.

Last edited:

GTRJazz

Visit site
I sent one of my horses to be professionally schooled what a difference, that was in September have been getting her to ride him at our yard three times a week since I also hop on so my many schooling faults can be rectified. All done very kindly without whips spurs or shouting .
She works with vets too and can determine if the horse needs schooling or has medical issues

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Personally, probably not these days, though I do have very regular lessons and I know my trainer would have a sit on if it was necessary. I considered getting one of them on when trying to teach Millie changes, to see if it was her or me that was causing the muddle, but we got through it a different way. I do have the time to train my horses entirely myself and happily we haven't got stuck too often :) Plus I'm a bit territorial :D

However, I definitely think that it can be helpful in some circumstances, can certainly help to move the horse on a bit which is just the ticket if horse/rider combination have got stuck in a rut. No point battling on in misery if there's an alternative that can help to get things progressing again :p

{97702}

Visit site
Lol LeannePip you have hit the nail on the head with my concerns :)

YO has schooled Jensen twice now, and I am amazed at the difference! His left canter (always a problem) has improved massively, and she has said she will pop him over a grid next week to get him jumping again

I can have regular jump lessons with her in the future so it can all be part of a structured plan, but it still feels like cheating to me? I am mentally wrestling with the dilemma :D

Asha

Visit site
Its far from cheating ! its helping to get the best out of your horse / train them so they can help you a little. I use pro's all the time. My 2 homebreds are schooled and competed by pro's. The horse I ride has been ridden by a pro. When I needed help with her to do things I couldn't. So for example, I used a pro to jump her for the first time, I wanted it to be a great experience rather than me going oh ****, whats going to happen. Then I used a pro to take her xc schooling for the first time, purely because we had hit a problem with the water. So rather than it build up to be a big problem, get a pro to help. The pro teaches me as well, so he knows what she is like under saddle, and also how rubbish I am. We get so much out of lessons as he knows us both.

gallopingby

Visit site
Only if I trusted the professional and could be sure they would do exactly as I wanted, also would depend on the qualifications/experience of the professional. Far too many people setting themselves up to do this who have little experience let alone qualifications - and I mean achievements rather than having passed BHS exams.

monte1

Visit site
YES YES YES

Especially if its your YO, I wouldn't hesitate.

We seek professional advice on so many different aspects of our horses, having a professional school your horse a few times or more frequently isn't a failure or an easy way out atall. I really like to see a pro on my horse and then get a few lessons from them.

Yes for me as well, as LP says it really makes all the difference :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Lévrier;13672044 said:
L
I can have regular jump lessons with her in the future so it can all be part of a structured plan, but it still feels like cheating to me? I am mentally wrestling with the dilemma :D

:D :D :D
you need to balance your desire to avoid "cheating" with your ability to be patient and struggle through it yourself ;) If she can shuffle you both along a bit, isn't that going to mean that you can get to do the bits you enjoy more speedily...? what's making you hesitate?

Snowfilly

Visit site
As long as I'd seen them ride before and liked what I saw, yes, yes and yes. I also wouldn't be too fussed about qualifications and results - I know a few excellent riders who have never fancied going down that route but get horses going sweetly and effectively.

I wouldn't even be too bothered about if they can do follow ups - we go to one off clinics with big names or visiting instructors so why shouldn't there be value in having a pro ride once? If nothing else, you'll get to watch your horse from the ground and that can be very valuable.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I agree that the term "professional" and "qualifications" in this part of the world are no guarantee that the person to whom they are attached are actually capable, but the true pro riders/trainers will have reputations to match. A properly trained professional trainer will make life a lot easier for your horse (and thus, hopefully, you) by showing the horse how to do stuff that the owner may not know, thus speeding up the whole training process, removing confusion for the horse and generally making life more pleasant.

NinjaPony

Visit site
If you trust your YO and she is making a difference then go for it!! My instructor schools my pony once a week and it makes a big difference-she can help him work through things he finds tricky and introduce him to new things before I do, which helps both him and me!

SEL

Visit site
I'm very picky - only one other person has been up on mine - but it was a good call as she was able to help overcome some problems.

This was someone I had quietly watch ride other horses, liked her no-nonsense approach but also the fact that she was able to 'feel' rather than just demand. All the qualifications in the world (& she has a fair few) can't ensure someone has that feel.

Boysy

Visit site
I would love for my trainer to get up on mine but given I am of the vertically challenged and therefore have small ponies and she is of the extra tall variety it just won't work without roller skates :) So I just keep on with lessons with her doing really well to teach me from the ground.

However if a small pro came along that I did actually like then I wouldn't hesitate to have them up on the ponies, trouble is I haven't found a single small one anywhere around me.....

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Yes - I don't have time to ride everyday and this time of year is really hard due to no lights, working fulltime etc so the opportunity for someone that I trusted to give a tune up or help us continue to progress rather than stagnate/go backwards would be ideal.

LeannePip

Visit site
Lévrier;13672044 said:
Lol LeannePip you have hit the nail on the head with my concerns :)

YO has schooled Jensen twice now, and I am amazed at the difference! His left canter (always a problem) has improved massively, and she has said she will pop him over a grid next week to get him jumping again

:D :D :D
you need to balance your desire to avoid "cheating" with your ability to be patient and struggle through it yourself ;) If she can shuffle you both along a bit, isn't that going to mean that you can get to do the bits you enjoy more speedily...? what's making you hesitate?

Exactly ^^ There's a HUGE difference between having a pro ride your horse so you can get on the end result and say 'Oooh, look at my fancy horse, how clever I am to have such a fancy horse blah blah blah' and take all the credit for it (cheating) and having a pro help you from the floor and by riding your horse; Nudging you BOTH along so you can learn together (not cheating).

Knowing who it is you are asking for help and assistance, I wouldn't hesitate. You will still learn so much by being part of the process :D

Just go for it!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Yes, as part of an overall programme of development that I am very much involved in, rather than just handing over the horse and receiving a 'finished product' at the end. I have found it useful to send Cassie for a week's schooling livery with my trainer when I have been away, not least because we both sometimes get wrapped up in an issue and having someone less emotionally involved getting on board can break that cycle. That routine works for me now as mine are kept at home, but when I had my old mare on full livery, my YO, who was my instructor as well before we relocated, would school once a week or so.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'd be very, very careful about any professional I used in those circumstances. I would have to have absolute faith in their skill, style and mentality before I considered it - I see far too many "professionals", some with "qualifications" and many with reasonable competitive records, who are frankly disgraceful, and I wouldn't let sit on one of mine, let alone pay them to school a horse for me. Sadly, as in much of life, these people are often blessed with unshakeable confidence in their dubious skill set, and think they're the dog's *******s. Thus novice and incompetent owners are taken in...

That said, in your situation, your YO is a bit different (unless I'm mistaken?)...

honetpot

Visit site
Most of us to have horses keep them for a long time, and they adapt to our 'language'.
I have had a pro sit on one in a lesson just to see if she could see if it could get it, tops 10 minutes. I have also sent ponies away to pros to learn things my daughters did not have the competence to teach them. You often get back a sharper animal, they use their weight differently and expect them to be more off the leg, and can cope. They also usually have better facilities and want quicker results, to show they are worth their fee, so you may get something back that's sharper and knows more than you and you may not have the right place to ride it. If they are working it every day it could be fitter than you are used to as well.
I think the best thing is to find a trainer that is training the horse with you that has your competency and goals in mind.

rara007

Visit site
How do you define professional... I pay someone to work mine up to 4 days a week, she is a professional horse workers come groom come dog walker come house sitter. She makes her living from (largely) horses and she does 'school' mine (long reining and inhand work). I'm at a higher level than her overall (competitively, in experience and in teaching Quals). Most weeks she does 1-2 days, my work/life balance and aims mean realistically I need help getting the fitness in! I don't use her for lessons and don't watch her working him.

wingedhorse

Visit site
Lévrier;13672006 said:
Would you consider asking a professional you trusted to school your horse if you had the opportunity? What would your reasons be for ‘yes’ or ‘no’? Just curious :)

I'd be very not keen to send my horses to a professional yard. I have no issue with a professional riding them to resolve an issue or teach them something, or ride through a problem if I was struggling or not able to ride.

It is one of the tools available when building a support team for your horse. Good yard, good vet, good farrier, good bodyworkers, good trainers, good back up riding support if needed etc.

What I'd not do is pay lots for a professional to ride my horse as really I need the lessons to ride them myself, and if professional improves them beyond my skills I will only de-school them. (My horses aren't youngsters).

{97702}

Visit site
Thanks for the responses, they have been very helpful - and for LP and MP who know my YO (and others who have good memories for trivia :) ) then yes I would agree that she isn’t the standard sort of YO :)

Asking the question has made me realise that what I’ve been lucky to experience can only be good for me and for Jensen - so I shall stop criticising myself and enjoy the benefits :D

GTRJazz

Visit site
Lévrier;13672195 said:
Thanks for the responses, they have been very helpful - and for LP and MP who know my YO (and others who have good memories for trivia :) ) then yes I would agree that she isn’t the standard sort of YO :)

Asking the question has made me realise that what I’ve been lucky to experience can only be good for me and for Jensen - so I shall stop criticising myself and enjoy the benefits :D

I was amazed who was using my trainer when I was down her yard two sisters who are high level jumpers had a young horse with her for breaking they already had four other broken by her, a girl from my old yard who had been thrown over a fence by her horse, my vet known for being a very abrupt and opinionated man (but a very good vet) a horse one of a pair that had nearly been staved to death now brought back to work. All potentially cheating as they never let on to me they used a trainer but I know the secret now.

Batgirl

Visit site
Yes for lots of different reasons:
I have the privilege of Jane Bartle Wilson being near me and I treat myself to a lesson at Christmas. I wanted her to ride to show me the potential of my horse (It gave me high hopes!)
I have my normal day to day instructor ride my horse sometimes when I am trying to figure out if it is me or the horse struggling (sometimes it is both!)
I used to get my instructor to help fix specific issues (e.g. striking off on the wrong leg when physical issues had been ruled out)

There is no cheating in horse riding, you still have to ride at the end of the day.

Girlracer

Visit site
Yes absolutely! I have just sent my young horse for schooling with a pro, with the idea being I can then continue to visit her for lessons with a horse that she will know.