Prolite girth experiences or alternatives?

GrassChop

Visit site
Good evening!

I've had my saddle fitter out today who recommended a Prolite anatomical girth. We tried one and my horse went fine in it for the 5 minutes we had it on for anyway.

However, I find the reviews are a bit hit and miss with it rubbing etc.

I'd be grateful for anyone's experiences please or recommendations for something similar.

Thank you!

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I use them on all of mine and no rubs at all. I didn't like the look of them, but they have been great. I was really upset I'd sold my Fairfax girths but I actually think the prolite ones are grippier, they certainly stop saddle slipping on my 3 fatties ?

mini_b

Visit site
I use one.
no issues with rubbing and horse seemed to go a bit better with the cut away behind the elbow. I like it.

how does everyone clean theirs? The inside always seems a bit whiffy I feel I may be missing a trick.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've never known a girth slip as badly, mine went in the bin. I use Harry Dabbs waffle girths now.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I use one because I had issues with rubbing. Every girth I used was rubbing so my saddler said to try the prolite as it sits away a bit in the exact place he was being rubbed. I use a sheepskin cover on it and have had no rubbing at all.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I had issues with rubbing on one horse so got the polite after recommendation on here as normal girth are sitting right in horses elbow. No rubs or slipping - I use it on the horse intended and popped it on my Highland too.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I have hairy cob and the prolite with carr in it that's very shaped. No rubbing but he does get much hotter in it than a leather girth so I am very conscious of washing him off every time (and the girth).

With him some dried sweat and not clean girth I think could get to rubbing quite quickly.

If you are looking for something to help slip try a stud girth - I looked a little mad on a newly broken hairy in top level SJ kit but the width underneath made a massive difference to saddle rolling around on the top.

Fjord

Visit site
I love mine, it suits my girl really well and doesn't rub, which is a first.

If it is stinky, give it a wash with warm water and some shampoo or tack cleaner, then dry it with a towel. Hang it outside to dry if possible, I find it when it stays a bit damp it stinks.

GrassChop

Visit site
Thank you everyone! I will go for that then. It is for a forward girth groove. We tried the standard gauge which fit well and I asked about the website recommending the narrow gauge for forward girth grooves but she said it wouldn't really make much difference so I am not sure which one to go for really. They both fit in terms of the width between her legs for the gauge size but if the narrow one means even less movement in the saddle being pulled forwards then I'd rather that. I can't decide!

ETA another slightly stupid question but as the part of the girth that you would check for tightness is designed to "float", how do you know if you've done it up enough when you're on board?

Last edited:

GrassChop

Visit site
I am following this as I want to get one of these and think I need a standard but so hard to tell!

I went with the narrow one in the end. So far, I'm pleased with it and she seems happy enough!
Their website says if you can get a sweat scraper between their front legs, they would fit a standard but if they have quite a lot of skin behind their elbows and tend to get rubs, narrow is better, I think?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I love the Prolite & love that it can just be hosed off or dunked in a bucket to clean.

He gets the odd rub at coat change season, but that's him thing and it rubs much less than other girths I've tried.

LegOn

Visit site
I could not get on with a Prolite girth for whatever reason, not rubbing or anything but it never seemed to sit right or be tight enough or even enough - I dunno, I seemed to be battling with it all the time - I got another one of a different length cause I thoguht that would help, but it didnt so I sold both and I had a short girth aswell - sold that too, havent missed them!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
As a saddle fitter they're not my favourite, on some forward girth grooves with big bellies they simply shift the pressure point from the front edge to the back, and they definitely can rub on some, but it's hard to predict. With the very expensive girth designs I always recommend trying one first, Prolite's aren't generally available for trial unfortunately. I recommend the Dabbs waffle girth, for my way of fitting it's the elasticated both ends version, and the Stubben string girth. I much prefer elastic, with the exception of the Stubben, which does have some give along its length, most fixed girths I find are used too tight, either because the saddle slips if they don't, or just because people believe they can't be overtightened "unlike elasticated girths".

I fit almost entirely very wide horses with forward girth grooves, but what works for my approach won't be universal for everyone.