Pros and Cons Native/Cob vs Warmblood/Thoroughbred/arab vs Part bred

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Unless your plans include showing in breed specific classes, I would focus on the temperament, ability to do its job and something that appeals when you look at the adverts.

For your budget you could find a nicely produced but not yet fully developed horse around 6- 7 years old, this would enable you to bring it on further but in the knowledge that it had enough experience to enjoy from day one, this sort of horse is hard to find but in my view would suit you well.

If you go on comp riders nikib (I think) has just done her first comp on her new purchase which would be the type I think you could be looking for, he is called Cameo, grey gelding about 15.2 a really smart little horse that has had a very good start.

Take your time when you start looking, have a list and stick to the main points, be prepared to compromise on some and get someone to go with you, if you can as two pairs of eyes are better than one.

Only just seen this! Thanks be positive. :)

Paula - would definitely recommend something like Cameo. I'm around your age and wanted something that I felt safe on but had the talent to compete (mainly dressage for me plus some showing, but also PC stuff for my 15 year old son). He's a Connie x ISH which I think makes him 1/2 Connie, 1/4 ID and 1/4 TB. He's just turned 5 and his temperament is to die for, but he still has the paces. He hadn't been ridden since Saturday due to the weather and various other things, but I happily got on him today and no silly business. I was recommended a Connie x specifically for temperament, and having had him almost 2 months, I haven't been disappointed. Good luck with your search. I was lucky as he was the first horse I tried, but I was prepared to wait if I hadn't found him so soon. :) x

Here he is - please excuse the inane grin, I just love riding him!! :)

IMG_9465.jpg

Last edited:

WestCoast

Visit site
He looks gorgeous and sounds just the sort of horse I'd love. It's that having the option to go further if you want to that's nice.

Am viewing 3 livery yards tomorrow so may even be starting to look by this time tomorrow. Although I'm seriously concerned about whether I've done enough riding to be good enough to do try outs. I'm hoping that someone from the livery I choose will be willing to help me, but I do know a very knowledgable lady I used to work with.

I'm probably more confident in my ability to spot a good horse than my riding ability at the moment as when I was younger I came across horses with pretty much every vice and conformation m known to man. :rolleyes:

Paula

nikicb

www.facebook.com
He looks gorgeous and sounds just the sort of horse I'd love. It's that having the option to go further if you want to that's nice.

Am viewing 3 livery yards tomorrow so may even be starting to look by this time tomorrow. Although I'm seriously concerned about whether I've done enough riding to be good enough to do try outs. I'm hoping that someone from the livery I choose will be willing to help me, but I do know a very knowledgable lady I used to work with.

I'm probably more confident in my ability to spot a good horse than my riding ability at the moment as when I was younger I came across horses with pretty much every vice and conformation m known to man. :rolleyes:

Paula

I know what you mean about the trying them out. I was really worried about it as I haven't really ridden much for the past 5 years. But when I got on him I knew he was the one. Are you taking lessons at the moment? Even riding at a RS will be good - just getting on and riding different horses in front of someone. :) x

ETA - I've done all the nutters I want to in my life, very happy to put the time in schooling a green horse, but I no longer want something that is a challenge to control.

Last edited:

PolarSkye

Visit site
I wouldn't go off breed, I'd consider anything really that's suitable for what you need ability & temperament wise. I have known 10yr old reasonably well bred sports horses & ex racers that would suit you down to the ground from what you've said, & native ponies that would destroy your confidence. That said, I think connie x tb or full connies are fantastic unless you plan on top level affiliated competing, which few people do. They tend to be easy to care for & safe to hack & handle like most natives but have the talent to make good little competition ponies/horses. Best of both worlds imo.

I agree with this . . . find something you click with . . . and be ruthless/don't go on looks/breed alone. Oh and really consider both your ability and the job you expect the horse to do . . . and take your time. Best of luck. Horse hunting is daunting, sure, but can also be very, very exciting.

P

WestCoast

Visit site
Thanks guys.

Yes I am taking weekly private lessons and when I asked the instructor whether I was being silly she laughed and said I should see some people who view horses. I've also got a long hack this Sunday and next weekend.

Because my horse as a teenager was quite lazy, as are some of the riding school ponies I've been on, I do want something forward going, but not silly and spooky and absolutely no problems with traffic.

Paula

Kallibear

Visit site
I do want something forward going, but not silly and spooky and absolutely no problems with traffic.

See, you've started your Must Have list already ;)

Good luck with viewing the yards. The one you choose may affect which horse you can get: not much use having a highland or similar if the yard had ankle deep grass and no option to restrict it!

Have you thought further about what you'd like to do with your horse? The type you gets depends on it.

WestCoast

Visit site
I want to be able to hack out, including on my own and I really, really don't want a horse I need to nag continually. I would like to do some cross country or perhaps drag/mock hunting if this is done locally.

But I'd probably have a go at anything my horse can do. I'm willing to learn.

I'm definitely not attached to a certain breed - ok I just love Fresians but I have to be realistic here.

Pala

Pale Rider

Visit site
It's hard to recommend any sort of horse, breed or type, there are lots of good horses out there, it's just a matter of what takes your fancy when you see it really.

What I would say, is try to avoid young imported warmbloods targeted at those who want to do some dressage.

Loads of problems with these.

WestCoast

Visit site
That's good advice - I've seen some beautiful warmbloods advertised, but they do seem a little sensitive for my needs. I think dumbblonde's suggestion of an Irish draft or cross, or a native cross, is more likely to give me that combination of good sense, bravery and kindness I'm looking for. Plus I'm of the opinion that horses should spend as much time as possible out in a field with other horses, so I want something tough enough to go out during the day in winter.

Paula

WestCoast

Visit site
And yes I have been up since a stupid time this morning because I can't sleep. I'm like a five year old on Christmas morning. Now to do a minimum requirements list for livery so my husband has clear instructions of what to talk me out of.

Paula

acw295

Visit site
I'm the same size as you and I got a 14.2hh unreg Welsh D 4 years ago - couldn't be happier!

It does help your search if you know if you want something pony-like or horse-like. I waited 23 years to get my own (got her for my 30th) and I did have a very clear idea of the sort I wanted (but not breed).

I wanted a native pony type of any breed, max 15.2hh. Good allrounder, to hack alone and in company, forward but safe. For general leisure riding and local comps. Max 12 years. Mare or gelding.

I got my gorgeous Molly (first one I saw) who was 14.2hh, native, 10years old and a good very forward going allrounder who just needed re-schooling (had been only hacking for the last year when I got her due to owners circumstances but had peviously competed and hunted). She had it all in there, just needed bringing back out, which I have done with help.

I wasn't set on a Welsh D at all - but I love the quirkiness and now wouldn't have anything else. they are a bit crackers, but in a good way. I now have plans one day for a Welsh D filly :D