Prospective buyers riding another horse

Spring Feather

Visit site
So I presume the people here saying it's OK have never sold a horse/pony to somebody without the somebody trying them out first?

Just wondering what the procedure is for somebody who watches, decides and prefers to actually ride in their own time, not at the sellers yard.

I can't be the only one who has done that surely?

No I wouldn't sell a riding horse to someone who did not ride it. I want to make sure my horse and the rider are a good match for a long term relationship.

cptrayes

Visit site
So I presume the people here saying it's OK have never sold a horse/pony to somebody without the somebody trying them out first?

Just wondering what the procedure is for somebody who watches, decides and prefers to actually ride in their own time, not at the sellers yard.

I can't be the only one who has done that surely?

Nope, you aren't alone. Done it three times myself, not including the unbroken ones I've bought or the ones bought at auction.

I am not saying it is the case with this seller, but sometimes it's better to get the horse away from its fluffy bunny owner into a situation where it realises that it actually has a leader to follow before you ride it.

Last edited:

Elvis

Visit site
I don't think its unreasonable at all, you've got both the horses welfare and the potential buyers welfare to consider.

Having run a uni riding team, I've experienced how people inflate their own ability and therefore when we run trials we have 3 easy horses and 3 trickier horses, some people never make it on to the trickier horses, it's a very effective way of protecting both the riders and horses.

OP I've also found competition records and videos a good way to try and gauge someone's experience, however even those aren't full proof.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I really don't understand how those of you who don't mind have the time to check over a second horse watch someone esle ride to check its not a nutter before you get to watch the the horse your looking at being ridden to see if you would give it houseroom.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Tbh I'd think it was dangerous and move on to another seller - if I have to pass an exam to ride a potential horse I'd just go somewhere else - I don't have the time to p about like this .

DollyPentreath

Visit site
If after explaining to you that you could view my BE event record online you wanted me to ride another horse first, I would not come to view, I would assume that the horse was a real problem.

Agree with this. If my BE record wasn't good enough I wouldn't bother. Not because I'd be offended but because I'd be suspicious that said horse was overly sensitive/quirky. That being said, if I turned up with my trainer and she had to ride the 'test' horse I'd be mortified.. ;)

If pony is top class you shouldn't be getting the wrong type of buyer.. The top class ones normally sell through word of mouth through pros with pupils.

mle22

Visit site
I would just simply think I can't be bothered with that difficult a horse. There will be others out there that don't need their rider to be so 'special'. Different maybe if it's a world beater - but then I couldn't afford it anyway!

erminex

Visit site
I'd be loathe to turn up and find myself fine with riding the advertised horse and uneasy around the schoolmaster(!). I can sometimes simply think 'no' with a horse, regardless of how straightfoward and uncomplicated it is, but cheerfully get on and deal with something much more hot/sensitive/difficult. There's no logic to it at all!

I'm still very much a novice but have a somewhat similar issue- I'm okay with a forwards going schoolmaster even if it's a little strong and occasionally plays silly, but really struggle on a ploddish schoolmaster. Consequently the two riding schools I use have very different opinions on my riding ability as I gel fantastically with the horses at one but can barely keep the ponies at the other to stay in trot :p

I don't think OPs idea is bad- I personally wouldn't bother viewing such a horse for obvious novice-y reasons. If a horse is sensitive/difficult/dangerous enough to require a rider ability inspection just to get on it, I would want nothing to do with that horse as alarm bells would be ringing. A lot of top competition horses seem to be 'quirky' to say the least, so I'd imagine there'd be able riders looking for a competition horse who wouldn't mind the inspection.

cruising_for_you

Visit site
I'd prefer it! Obviously your pony is very sensitive and I'd like to know the owners opinion on whether or not my riding style would suit him, before getting up on him and maybe even hurting myself! Sounds silly when put like that, but definately wouldnt mind. Would make me feel like the pony was coming from a really loved and concerned home :)

LynH

Visit site
The ability to ride a quiet horse is no indication of your ability to ride a sharp one.

I agree with this. I can ride my relatively quiet horse at medium level and have backed a couple of horses and retrained a OTTB. On a quiet horse I would quite competent. I also can talk the talk as have owned horses for 30 yrs and if 'interviewed' on the phone probably sound relatively knowledgable. It is however all relative.... I've not ridden regularly/daily for the last three years as I've had health issues and I have not ridden anything sharp for a while. I would look competent on a safe steady horse but god knows what would happen on a sharp nervy horse who has only been ridden by a professional. I don't know what my limitations currently are but I doubt they would not be immediately apparent if I am on a safe quiet horse. I don't see how you can judge if someone can cope with a sharp quirky horse when they are on a safe one.

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
I'm not sure from the OP if this is to be a kids competition pony or not? If so then yes, probably a good idea - non horsey parents ALWAYS overestimate their offspring's talents... If it's for a grown up, well I don't know, unless it's trained to a really high standard I'd just assume it was a ticking time bomb if a seller were that worried about unknowns riding it. That said, there's a LOT off divvys involved with horses nowadays so I do see were you're coming from.

Tnavas

Visit site
I really don't understand how those of you who don't mind have the time to check over a second horse watch someone esle ride to check its not a nutter before you get to watch the the horse your looking at being ridden to see if you would give it houseroom.

Because I would assume the first horse is sane and sensible and would not worry about seeing it ridden by someone else.

I think if someone was so careful as to who they put on the horse they are hardly likely to have you ride a nutter!

Buying a horse takes time and when you take the time you usually get the right horse - its being in a hurry that causes more problems.

atouchwild

Visit site
And yet you call this animal a 'pony'. TBH I wouldn't bother looking at something that was used to being treated in this 'fwuffy bunny-wunny' manner, if I wanted it to live on a professional yard.

The OP has not referred to the horse as a 'pony' once!! I'm pretty sure it is a horse it is others who have mentioned pony.
And what a ridiculous thing to say!!

Anyway, I think it's a brilliant idea actually, and its ok to say someone can make their own mind up wether it is suitable but what if this horse is so completely trusting in its current rider that it looks easy to ride and completely straightforward? Also, it is not always possible to school every horse to a stage where the average rider can handle them. Some are just too sensitive or have had bad experience that they will never completely forget, presuming there is no rush to sell the horse, note I said horse ;-) which it sounds like there isn't, I think it is the best thing to do for all concerned. Good luck

quirky

Visit site
If after explaining to you that you could view my BE event record online you wanted me to ride another horse first, I would not come to view, I would assume that the horse was a real problem.

Does this make you a calm, sensitive rider though? One that might be right for the pony.
Not necessarily!

Ahrena

Visit site
I did something similar.

I have a tricky mare who can rear, and I advertised for a sharer. Someone came to view her. Whilst we were getting her ready, she mentioned she hadn't ridden for a good 6 months as had been working abroad on a ski resort. The mare in question also hadn't been ridden for a while so was likely to be very fresh.

Additionally, she is far more likely to play up in the school than out hacking, and the sharer was really mainly to hack her.

So i made a last minute suggestion that she rode my other horse and I rode her. Sharer was grateful and appreciated the idea. It meant she got to see how the mare generally behaved, I got to see her ride my sensible boy plus she had the chance to get her eye in on a well mannered horse.

It all worked out well and she did end up sharing the horse for a few months until she had to stop due to work commitents.

I personally wouldn't be offended - perhaps a bit self conscious when riding the other horse, but if it was explained beforehand I would understand and be happy to do it.

DollyPentreath

Visit site
Does this make you a calm, sensitive rider though? One that might be right for the pony.
Not necessarily!

No, but it makes it much more likely. You don't get round int/adv riding like a moron. Plus riding the quiet and straightforward 'test' horse should prove pretty unnecessary in the case of a good, comprehensive record.

If my trainer turned up and was asked to ride said horse we'd promptly leave..

Booboos

Visit site
I've been asked to do this twice and it didn't bother me at all.

The first time it was at a large dressage yard where I rode a calmer horse, before trying out 3 others. I can see that they wanted to make sure I wouldn't get myself killed with the more lively ones - perfectly reasonable.

The second time was looking for a loan horse which the owner had warned me could be tricky to hack. She asked me to ride her more straight forward horse first while she rode the stressy one and the next time we swapped.

quirky

Visit site
I disagree. There are good and bad riders at every level of every discipline. Just look at the thread in C&T when Badminton et al is on, somebody is always getting it in the neck for insensitive/bad riding ... and usually a different person every year :eek:

I think your point highlights exactly why the OP wants prospective purchasers to ride a different horse first. Just because somebody competes, it doesn't make them the rider they think they are ;)

If somebody chooses to walk away because they are asked to prove their ability, then they are very probably not the right rider for that horse.

eahotson

Visit site
I personally wouldn't be offended at all but I know, reading that advert that the pony would not suit me at all.My experienced instructor (think badminton for one) came with me when I was horse shopping the last time.She was always first up following the buyer and if she wasn't happy we simply went home.I didn't get a sit at all which I was very happy with.I had lost a huge amount of confidence at the time.I might have been a bit offended for her if she was asked to ride the quieter one first but as I say, for me the situation wouldn,t have arisen.Lovely to see a responsible seller, there are so many around that are not.I was definately mis sold my last one.I asked repeatedly if he was suitable for a nervous novice and was reasured that he was.I had no one senible to help me at the time.Later I found out on another forum that he had frightened one owner to death.I also wouldn't feel offended either if I went to try a pony/horse and the seller said after seeing me ride that the horse wouldn't suit.So long as they were polite and not offensive.I went to a dealers yard, saw one horse over the stable, asked about it and she said, NO too sharp for you.She was polite and I was grateful for her professionalism and honesty.I have a lovely welsh cob now that is just right for me.Have owned him about 4 years.

Mia&Vin

Visit site
Iv done this before, I was selling a TB project who was capable of bolting through fences if scared. Lady came to see him that very much talked the talk yet didnt even notice his eye were on storks at the sight of her. I asked her to ride my safe mare first as didnt fancy getting an ambulance out. Well she came off mounting and fractured her back so it was a good call, if she had got on the tb she would have been coming off at speed!

DollyPentreath

Visit site
I disagree. There are good and bad riders at every level of every discipline. Just look at the thread in C&T when Badminton et al is on, somebody is always getting it in the neck for insensitive/bad riding ... and usually a different person every year :eek:

I think your point highlights exactly why the OP wants prospective purchasers to ride a different horse first. Just because somebody competes, it doesn't make them the rider they think they are ;)

If somebody chooses to walk away because they are asked to prove their ability, then they are very probably not the right rider for that horse.

It's not that I'd be offended, as per my first post I'd be suspicious the pony is overtly sensitive. However, if WFP or Mary King turned up would you ask them to ride another horse? I do think a good record, on various horses, at a high level is proof in itself...

Tnavas

Visit site

Your event record only shows that you have won or been placed - it tells no-one wether you are a sensitive rider or not!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Because I would assume the first horse is sane and sensible and would not worry about seeing it ridden by someone else.

I think if someone was so careful as to who they put on the horse they are hardly likely to have you ride a nutter!

Buying a horse takes time and when you take the time you usually get the right horse - its being in a hurry that causes more problems.

You should never ever get on a horse belonging to some one you don't know without seeing it ridden first .
I would never ever trust a stranger to make this desision for me.
I am not in a hurry when I am trying a horse although I am very decisive there's no pissing about when I buy but there is absolutely no good reason for me to waste my time assessing a second horse from the ground.
My time is short and valuable in these situations I want to get on with it.

quirky

Visit site
It's not that I'd be offended, as per my first post I'd be suspicious the pony is overtly sensitive. However, if WFP or Mary King turned up would you ask them to ride another horse? I do think a good record, on various horses, at a high level is proof in itself...

I would say that Mary King and WFP are in a completely different league to 'miss amateur I have ridden two horses to 2* level and I am ace' and hence cannot be compared. There are many riders who could get on a horse that knows it's job and compete it. It is an entirely different rider who has shown/taught that horse it's job, a BE record will only show you who has competed it, not who has produced it.
Personally, if somebody said to me "I am xxx xxx, look at my BE record", I would think of them as the "Do you know who I am" type person and I would sack them off straight away. It is that fine line between confidence and arrogance that can so easily be overstepped :eek:

What about those who hunt regularly? They don't have a record to show but can be some of the gutsiest/sensitive riders out there.

I guess our views will just differ on this one :)

The wife

Visit site
Thanks a lot for your replies, it has been a very interesting thread reading every bodies opinions. This is indeed an animal that I think an awful lot of and yes I am trying to be a responsible seller as in the wrong hands he would end up in the position he was in when we bought in him with an owner that was too scared to sit on him and a prospect of being shot. All my prospective buyers are having there respective competition records checked/references gained prior but as somebody has said this does not always give a great indication of how they ride. For example I do know of a lady currently competing at Adv BE. She has only got to this level because her horse is a)such a saint and b) has been there done that and by her own admission carries her around.

Horse shopping for everybody be it buyer or seller can be a stressful time, especially when one is tricky but extremely talented, hence I have worded my advert accordingly to try to gain the best possible and most suited market for the animal and it is lovely to hear the comments that I am only trying to do best for horse and its new owner. Saying that I do also see the other side to the coin and completely appreciate why those that would be offended are. As I've said, it's been a very enjoyable and interesting thread and one that hasn't gotten too bitchy ;) so thank you.

As for the 'fluffy bwunny wunny' comment... Really not necessary, however the following comments did make me chuckle. Trust me, if he hadn't had a little bit of 'bunny' handling previously he wouldn't have gotten to competing at the stage he is now and after watching one of the best NH trainers in the country talk to his best horse like a small child, if I occasionally slip with my fluffy talk, so be it ;)

The wife

Visit site
As an add on I have actually checked out somebody's BE record after enquiring about this horse who had said she'd ridden 4* level... She had got a BE record but dated 2000 where she did one 2*....

I think on both sides with an animal like this its both buyer and seller beware.