Protein for veterans

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
How important for them to have increased protein in their diets? Does it actually make a difference to their top line or is it a losing battle past a certain age?

I was just looking at the spec for Keyflow Golden Oldies balancer mash which is high in protein at 30%.

https://keyflowfeeds.com/horse-feeds/golden-oldies/

I feed my 25yr WB old Pink Mash (12% protein) 3 mini trug (similar to mug size) a day plus extra mini trug full micronised linseed, unmollased Top Spec Lite chaff, pro-balance a bit of mag-ox and Buteless which I believe is competition legal. He looks and feels fab but is losing top line. Can I or should I feed more protein? If so what? I know the linseed is a good protein source but wondered about others.

https://keyflowfeeds.com/horse-feeds/pink-mash/

Or is there anything else that I should feed for optimum health?

Thanks

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Rather than swap feeds if he's feeling well can you not just feed more of what you are feeding?

the golden oldies is a balancer so fed at the usual 100g/100kg body weight rate. While it is higher in nutrients per weight, it's only designed to be fed in small quanties.
You can feed a load more of the pink mash and extra linseed if you want to.

horses get protein from their grazing etc too so it's probably worth remembering that it's not like feeding bodybuilders ;)

how much work is he in now because without topline-promoting work it's likely that it will drop off anyway.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Rather than swap feeds if he's feeling well can you not just feed more of what you are feeding?

the golden oldies is a balancer so fed at the usual 100g/100kg body weight rate. While it is higher in nutrients per weight, it's only designed to be fed in small quanties.
You can feed a load more of the pink mash and extra linseed if you want to.

horses get protein from their grazing etc too so it's probably worth remembering that it's not like feeding bodybuilders ;)

how much work is he in now because without topline-promoting work it's likely that it will drop off anyway.

Thanks MP. He’s ridden hacking only 3-4 times a week so you’re right he’s not going to have the muscle of a horse in schooling work. He’s striding out well I actually had to ask my sharer to slow his trot down as my younger horse had trouble keeping up! He is also very playful in the field. He’s my heart horse for want if a better term so I guess I’m trying to make sure he has everything he needs to keep going. I know there are other protein sources such as alfalfa as well as some in forage generally. He’s not skinny though just lacking muscle in some areas so I’m wary of over feeding especially coming into spring. I also read somewhere that high protein may help to control appetite.