PSD diagnosis

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
My horse has only been backed to be ridden for 6 months, however in proper work for 3 months. We started to notice he was a bit uncomfy/stiff on circles when ridden. Vet came out and said he was 1/10 lame in hind right but because he is a VERY tense horse when ridden, work might help him. A month went and he seemed better and he even did a dressage comp. However, he then got funny on that leg again. Vet came out again and it had gone to 2/10 lame on a circle. They then suggested nerve blocking him.

He went in last week and had nerve blocking done and x-rays, diagnosis is PSD in hind legs (mainly the right hind). Vets suggesting they do the de-nerving operation on him but i'm really not sure.

I'm of course VERY shocked as he is only 6 years old and only been in work for under 6 months.

I have done LOADS of research and I just can not get my head around it. The operation cuts the nerves...but that doesnt rectify the problem does it? just stops the pain.

Also, if you look at Roger Meacocks website, he is very anti the operation. He stated that he believes PSD is an issue resulting from a primary problem elsewhere. He also thinks it's terrible that people even consider the operation.

I spoke to Sue Dyson at AHP to get her opinion. She said she finds it unusual he has been diagnosed with PSD without even having ultrasounds.

Does anyone have any experience on this? did you horse go through surgery? is it dreadful and upsetting? any thoughts on Roger Meacock? HELP!!

Do not know what to do!!

thanks

I have done SO much research and

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I had a horse here that had her nerves cut in both hinds and also the ligament sheath cut to make room for inflamation and prevent further pain. She made a 100% recovery and has a full athletic life, though not competing, just schooling, jumping and hacking. She was diagnosed with a bone scan and ultra sound. The operation was done at Rossdales and she was 13 at the time though had had the problem several years. The lameness was evenly bi lateral and so not picked up for a long time and her problems (rearing and falling over backwards etc) thought to be behavioural. The lameness was only finally discovered when she started to lose her back end when being worked on a circle.

thermidor08

Visit site
My boy was diagnosed with bi-lateral psd of fore limbs in march this year, having only been back in work a few months having damaged his collateral in both fore limbs last may. He was diagnosed by ultrasound and treated with shockwave every fortnight and cartrophen inj every week. He is still 1/10 lame on right fore and he wont have a neurectomy as i dont agree with it in his case. He is only lame when put on tight circle so its something we will avoid, he is happy and thats the most important thing for us! He is only 8 but hopefully given time and continued rehab he may come sound. Good luck whatever you decide!

Naiad

Visit site
First of all, sympathy to you as this must be upsetting to have happening to a 6-year old horse.

Isn't the fasciotomy surgical option for PSD considered less troubling than denerving? Although it is often done in combination with denerving.

For some reason, I seem to recall reading that good images by ultrasound of the proximal suspensory can be difficult - or am I imagining having read that??

An article about fasciotomy etc.
http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/emc/welcome/bios/white/Suspensory_desmoplasty.pdf

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
My horse was diagnosed with PSD in one hind earlier this year (after an initial incorrect hock spavin diagnosis so not a fresh injury) the scan showed a small amount of disruption to the ligament but the vets admitted the scan was not very clear so they couldn't be sure but he did nerve block virtually sound to the PSD block.

He went lame again after 3 months back in work, I did then speak to Roger Meacock and as you have said he believes that the surgery is not solving the problem merely stopping them feeling the pain and I was really undecided for ages about what to do. From what I can gather Roger Meacock is likely to say that it is a problem with the feet or the teeth but I have a good dentist and farrier so I just don't think that it can be that with my horse but maybe I'm oversimplifying it! It was also going to be very expensive to have him come out to my horse and I was worried that even if the insurance paid for it it would use up a lot of the remainder.

I was also concerned that I only had a year from making the initial claim to have any chance of having the op covered by the insurance so didn't want to hang around too much trying different things.

In the end I spoke to some friends and also my physio who knew of many horses who had had the op and returned to full athletic work and also had a referral to a second vet (not that I didn't trust the first one I just wanted to make sure) who confirmed the diagnosis and reccommended the op as well so we went ahead.

Now 10 weeks on he is back out in the field as normal and coming back into work feeling good so far.

Hope everything goes OK with your horse, let us know how you get on.

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
thanks all for you replies....few questions :)

Do you think it is odd he has got this after only being in work a few months? (just doesn't make sense to me!!).

LynseySmartie - where did your one have the op in the end? did it all go ok? I am so worried about the GA!!!! also is he now sound?

Naiad - Yes I believe the surgery only numbs that particular area so can still feel rest of leg and foot etc.

thermidor08 - out of interest why do you not agree with the op? I kind of feel the same, but do not feel like I have a choice! If I went down shock wave, it's 60% likely to NOT work and ive wasted many months and most of my insurance money (as vets saying its £500 per treatment and he would need 3 or 4.

I am just not sure about the op. I really do have a funny feeling and gut instinct it is something else with my boy and the PSD is secondary (which would make sense as he has only been in 'proper' work for 2 months!!!!!! backed for 6 months).

My vet said his foot balance is ok from xrays (he is also barefoot as andalusian). I spoke to my physio (kate peckham) who was the one that identified he was odd in his right hind and referred him to the vet. She thinks there could possibly be another issue somewhere else. So yesterday I have booked vet to come out to my boy so she can sedate him so the physio can take a proper look and get right in!!! (he is a VERY nervy type!).

Since the diagnosis over a week ago, he has not been worked (just in field during the day). But he seems almost worse! when I tied him up the other day he was constantly shifting his weight from one hind to the other hind (like he was uncomfy). Also, his bottom is rock solid on that right hind! on the left hind its normal and squiggy! not normal. Surely if its PSD and he isnt being worked he should be better if anything.

BJC

Visit site
My horse was diagnosed with PSD in right hind about 6 weeks ago, following nerve blocks, ultrasounds and x-rays. My vet was fantastic, and gave me a range of treatment options, including e-PET, where concentrated platelets are injected back into the damaged area to stimulate regrowth. This was the treatment I selected, and he had his first post-treatment scan last week, and we could already see the fibres in the ligament returning. OK - he's been on 4 weeks box rest and now has a 9 month controlled exercise rehabilitation program, but if at any time the treatment appears not to be working nay more, we still have time for the op. And - only one more week and he can go back out to his field. According to my vet - shock wave doesnt work. Good luck - I have no idea how my boy did his damage either.

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Thanks for that BJC. What is the success % with that treatment do you know? my vets discussed mainly shock wave and the operation. They did however, mention 2 other treatments (can't remember what they're called!) however they were only about 30-40% successful which is why they mainly discuss the other two.

How lame was your horse? also how old is he?

thanks

loopylucifer

Visit site
mine has been diagnosised with PSD about 3 months ago now by ultrasound and nerve block of the suspensorys. Due to her history she is not a surgical candidate she is also not insured for this problem due to other problems she has so we we are quite limited on options. we have had shockwave and certian shoes on behind to help. other than that she is out in the field and will remin so till next spring. For many reasons this is how we are treating her the chances for her returning to full work is very slim especially with her other problems but its worth a shot.
Kate is also my physio and physio at work and cant recomened her enough if she thinks something else is going on there probably is. Has she spoken to your vet? have they seen the horse together?
If you really feel something else is going on talk to your vet is your vet and orthopedic vet? With the many issues mine has had i would say make sure you have a good ortho vet and and a good rapore with them. gut instinct counts for a lot.
It maybe there is another issue but until you have treated one problem you wont find the original problem or the one you are see the symptoms of if that make sense.
Good luck

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Hi loopylucifer. Thanks for your post.

how lame was your mare with it?

Yes Kate phoned my vet yesterday (Mayes and Scrine if you know them if you are this area). I have now booked for Kate and vet to see him on Tuesday together, so vet can sedate him whilst Kate does a treatment on him (to get right in without him getting upset!!). Since nerve blocking he has not been in work......but he seems worse now which I dont understand! he is more uncomfy being tied up and shifts his weight around, also his bottom is SO hard on the dodgy leg side. Odd.

Yes you are right about gut instinct, I am usually right when I sense things. But I suppose I wont find out until we treat the PSD first. Thanks for that, it has made me realise that exactly!!

Just can't get my head around it, he has only been ridden for a few months!!! how can he have wear and tear!?!?!?!?

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
thanks all for you replies....few questions :)

LynseySmartie - where did your one have the op in the end? did it all go ok? I am so worried about the GA!!!! also is he now sound?

If I went down shock wave, it's 60% likely to NOT work and ive wasted many months and most of my insurance money (as vets saying its £500 per treatment and he would need 3 or 4.

I had the op at Pool House vets, my vet (Chine House) wanted to refer me to Newmarket as they wanted him nerve blocked under saddle to make sure the op was going to bring him sound and they don't offer this themselves but Pool House can do this so I went to them and just continued with them for the op.

I was also worried about the GA as my horse is a 17hh and 750kg but it all went fine, he was back to normal (other than a big bandage) the next day and handled the box rest and in hand walking OK.

Well we are only walking but I have had a few 'test' trots and he does feel sound so far fingers crossed. We've now pretty much done all we can do so just got to build up the work really gradually and see how he goes.

£500 per shockwave seems expensive! I'm sure mine was only £200 each plus cost of visit and sedation (they bought a mobile one to me for the 2nd and 3rd).

thermidor08

Visit site
Hi SpanishNeddy, with all the leg problems my horse has already had we would never push him now as he is worth so much more to us than that. I would not put him through the last year and a half again so there is no point in him having the op, we'll just see how he goes! He is happy and therefore so are we! :)

flintfootfilly

Visit site
I took a 5 year old pony mare to Sue Dyson a couple of years back now. She diagnosed PSD in both hind limbs, and it was already severe.

She said it was very unusual to see this damage in a pony so young and with such a careful workload, and that we needed to think about how it had been caused.

The first thing she noticed about my mare was her straight hind limb conformation. When I look back on old photos of her as a weanling/yearling, I can see the straight hind limb conformation in those photos............. but never noticed it at the time.

The straight hind limb conformation is common in those with suspensory problems.

She had never had a day when I felt she was overtly lame, and it appeared that the condition had just gradually come on.

My belief is that it was degenerative suspensory ligament disease (sometimes called ESPA, equine systemic proteoglycans accumulation). Google it, and you will come up with a website and photos etc on it.

As such, I chose to have my mare put to sleep, because the odds were on it being degenerative, and so there was no light at the end of the tunnel, and she was clearly not the pony that she had been (no joy in movement, either in work or on the yard or in the field).

I remember hearing one vet say that he would never perform the nerve cutting op on a competition horse or on a child's pony, because he felt it was wrong to cut the nerve and then subject the horse to an intense workload. I feel the same way. He said he would be happy to perform it on a horse who was just going to be used as a light hack, with a careful and limited workload.

I'm rambling on like this, because I think it's important that you know that there is a degenerative condition, and old photos may help you weigh up whether you feel your horse has that, if you have photos of them side on, and you can look how dropped the fetlocks are, and how near straight the hock angle is etc.

Had my mare's condition not been degenerative, I may have tried an op.

Oh, SD carried out various investigations including bone scan, and it all came to around £3,000.......... but then we had no idea where the problem lay initially as she presented with a reluctance to go forward under rider. However, it was the ultrasounds which proved conclusive, and SD was able to categorise them as "mild" "moderate" or "severe".

Good luck whatever way forward you choose.

Sarah

Tiddlepiddle

Visit site
mmmm... I'd maybe get a second opinion. I've had vets diagnose allsorts when the underlying root problem was actually metabolic.

Does he have dark wee? Just a thought and take a look next time he does one. I'd be suspicious of something like EPSM personally. Again, I personally think there is more of this about than everyone thinks.

dene

Visit site
Hello,
I had one with suspect PSD, right hind, underlying cause turned out to be
poor front foot balance, in particular too long toes. The toes "looked"
fine, but on xray, it was obvious toes too long.

Pay particular attention to the opposite diagonal front foot to where the
stiffness is.

Good luck -- dene

loopylucifer

Visit site
As I said mine has several other issues and its a bit chicken and egg as to which happened first to aggrivate or initiate the others. She has had quite a few right hind issues 1/10th lame is not unusal for her. she was on one bute daily (one of her problems is arthritc changes to the joints of her spine) to help with back. she was sound but had a week off and was seen trotting in the field a good 7/10th lame a week later thought abccess but nothing showed up with foot was put on two bute slowly improved but after two weeks was intermittanly lame 3/10th. had lots of investigations which eventualy showed the abnormalities of PSD nerve blocking conifirmed that was the problem as went sound well lame on the other leg!
Hopfully if you get Kate and your vet to see horse together they can disscus it. you are further west of me i do know of Mayes and Scrine but have never had any dealings with them.
Good luck

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Thanks all for your comments.

To update you, this morning the vet Judy (Mayes and Scrine) and physio (Kate Peckham) looked at him.

He is now hardly lame at all (only 1/10 before). But he is worse when ridden anyway. Vet sedated him so Kate could do proper treatment without him freaking out. Interestingly Kate said he body is one big ache!!!! apparently he is achey and in pain in lots of places, as he has obviously been over compensating elsewhere. Even his poll area was virtually hard as a rock! Anyway, they have given me bute to give him and they are coming back in 2 weeks to do another treatment. He can go out in field daily and I can do in hand walk with him if I want (to keep him mentally happy!). They said that often when they free up the body, the real issue could then appear (and he could be more lame then). When they come back in few weeks, vet is also going to ultrasound scan the leg (to the confirm the PSD).

Vet mentioned steroid injections as another treatment option. Anyone heard of this? (I thought they were for joints!?). Anyway, apparently its about 50% successful (more than shock wave as that is 40%!). Also it’s cheaper, so when excluded from insurance later on I could then pay for myself (as few hundred she said). Anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

Alibear

Visit site
Steroid injections are an option also shockwave treatments sometimes have good results.
Is your boys PSD showed up on xray that means the ligaments started to calcify which usually means vet recommended surgery straight away.
Had two horses both go through the operation and it in itself it is pretty successful and they recover well.
Remember that it's a branch of the nerve that is cut not the whole nerve so the horse can feel other parts of it's leg just fine including the foot and the lower part of the suspensory.
So any major suspensory damage and the horse would still be able to feel it.
The de-nerving is so the horse doesn't feel the pain and hence can start moving correctly again which actually help heal the suspensory more than when they are compensating for it hurting.
There's some very detailed posts on it , on here if you have a good search about.
Good luck what ever you decide to do.
Both my boys were successes post operation but then came down with other issues that meant they were retired.

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Oh that is interesting Alibear, I thought steroid injections were for joints. Also my vet friend didnt think it was possible either. Anyway, if it is that is good as less invassive I suppose.

The other issues your boys got, were they connected to PSD do you think? like kissing spine or other pain elsewhere?

Vet coming back to do ultrasound in few weeks, so it will be interesting to see what amount of damage there is. She has already said it is chronic and not accute.

Alibear

Visit site
Could well be, first one developed navicular about 9 months post op that just didn't respond to treatment and also it appeared to start to make his back end go again.
2nd one , hmm well it's front feet ligament damage that has finally retired him. We had trouble with sensitive soles to start with then psd then ks then the suspected ligament damage in front feet.
By that point insurance was maxed out and to be honest all we could have done was MRI to say yep that's the ligament that's buggered and it wouldn't have changed the out come.
Thing is he'd been 100% sound for 2 years in normal work with never a worry and all his problems developed in the year he was in just light work .

I've given up trying to figure it all out!

First lad has been happily retired with no special care for the last 5 years, he's now 20 and does on occasion get a little wobbly when being trimmed.
2nd lad has been fully retired for the last 10 months with no problems but does show lameness in front on occasion, there' still a minute hope Dr Green might cure him eventually.

1st lad was my dressage school master and we did get back out at elementary level post op and he scored fine with no worries so I think you can say the op worked.

Last edited:

Ilovefoals

Visit site
My mare has just had the op for PSD and is also young like yours OP. She's 7 but has been a broodie since breaking in germany as a 3yr old and had only been in work 3 months when diagnosed. Also only 1/10th lame but not willing to go forward under saddle. Diagnosed with nerve blocks and scan, her damage is also chronic, probably done when she was being prepared for her mare test as a 3yr old. We tried shockwave with her which improved her movement but the scan remained the same. So I went down the neurectomy and fasciotomy route as I felt I had to try and even if she has no competition career ahead of her, at least she'll be comfortable. We are now into the 3rd week post op and walking out twice a day inhand. Another few weeks and we'll see if she's sound enough to start ridden work.

All I can say is this, if the damage is old, no amount of shockwave, rest, physio or steroids will help. The ligament has already mended scarred and uneven and no longer sits comfortably in the space it should fit in. This is why an op is probably the only chance your horse will have of coming sound. If the injury had been acute, I would say go for the shockwave etc as it helps to heal the fibres of the ligament in the correct way, but it sounds like your is too far past that now. Believe me, I have broken my heart over this mare and making my decision, I have cried and cried, but I'm glad I went for the op. Only time will tell if it has worked. My vet has said that often bone pain, joint problems, sacro-illiac pain etc etc can be associated with PSD due to the way in which the horse has been carrying itself to compensate for the discomfort. I'm just hoping and praying that my mare has not started down any of these routes as it just throws so many spanners in the works. As for R.M I have nothing good to say :) Good luck OP. I hope your horse recovers. xxx

star

Visit site
i would take anything on RM's website with a pinch of salt.

my horse had PSD in his right hind and responded great to shockwave. no way I'd go down the route of surgery without trying the more conservative measures first. Mine went back to Medium level dressage and 3ft jumping for 4 more yrs before retiring aged 20 due to an unrelated problem. His right hind has never caused him any more issues.

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Thanks all 

Alibear:
Sorry to hear that. Horses can be such worries can’t they  I have heard something about PSD and its relation to Navicular. Something like one can sometimes follow the other. I think I read too much!!!! – I make myself worry more. Did either have any steroid injections?

ILoveFoals:
Sounds exactly like my boy, not very lame but very reluctant to go forward ridden and use himself properly. My horse is having his ultrasound scan in 1.5 weeks so I will know for sure whether it’s chronic or acute. They predict chronic, because of how the pysio said his body has been compensating everywhere else. I only imported him in June 2010 and he was unbroken (and passed vetting in Spain) so goodness knows how its developed with only being backed such a short time. Glad her op went well, sounds like all is good for her so far, that is great. What vets do you use? I think I would send my horse to Liphook Hospital if he does have the op (I am so petrified of him going under a GA, just not sure whether it is worth going through the on/off with everything else first!!). Yes I have read a lot about the associated problems, because they have been compensating for the PSD. I really hope my boy doesn’t get these associated issues either......but by the sounds of what the pysio said his body is a right mess .

Star:
Regarding RM, I think he kind of has a point about the surgery not actually fixing anything it just stops the pain. However, although I dont necessarily agree with that apparently most top eventers and SJ’s have had the op. I asked him to send me clients I could contact for references......he never sent me any so I’m afraid chucking him in a field for a year isn’t an option! (as i rescued him too so have spent so long training him with feet/legs etc!).
Great to hear shock wave worked for your horse. Was your horses leg chronic or acute do you know? how lame also? Was it front or hind leg? –as I know front leg is more successful than hind leg.

star

Visit site
Thanks all 

Alibear:
Sorry to hear that. Horses can be such worries can’t they  I have heard something about PSD and its relation to Navicular. Something like one can sometimes follow the other. I think I read too much!!!! – I make myself worry more. Did either have any steroid injections?

ILoveFoals:
Sounds exactly like my boy, not very lame but very reluctant to go forward ridden and use himself properly. My horse is having his ultrasound scan in 1.5 weeks so I will know for sure whether it’s chronic or acute. They predict chronic, because of how the pysio said his body has been compensating everywhere else. I only imported him in June 2010 and he was unbroken (and passed vetting in Spain) so goodness knows how its developed with only being backed such a short time. Glad her op went well, sounds like all is good for her so far, that is great. What vets do you use? I think I would send my horse to Liphook Hospital if he does have the op (I am so petrified of him going under a GA, just not sure whether it is worth going through the on/off with everything else first!!). Yes I have read a lot about the associated problems, because they have been compensating for the PSD. I really hope my boy doesn’t get these associated issues either......but by the sounds of what the pysio said his body is a right mess .

Star:
Regarding RM, I think he kind of has a point about the surgery not actually fixing anything it just stops the pain. However, although I dont necessarily agree with that apparently most top eventers and SJ’s have had the op. I asked him to send me clients I could contact for references......he never sent me any so I’m afraid chucking him in a field for a year isn’t an option! (as i rescued him too so have spent so long training him with feet/legs etc!).
Great to hear shock wave worked for your horse. Was your horses leg chronic or acute do you know? how lame also? Was it front or hind leg? –as I know front leg is more successful than hind leg.

yes, he's right about the surgery stopping the pain but actually the fasciotomy does relieve the pressure on the swollen ligament so it's not just about cutting the nerve.
i wouldn't say most top eventers and SJ's have had the op - for a start denerving is illegal under FEI rules although I do know of top horses who have had it done and are back out successfully competing internationally.
as i said above, it was his right hind.
it had been going on at least a few months (which I guess makes it a bit chronic) as I initially put it down to him getting old as the only symptom I noticed was him resting that leg a lot and then looking stiff when he first walked off. He was still out competing and winning at Novice/Elem dressage. he was barely lame at all - vet struggled to see it in a straight line but after flexion he was crippled and could barely walk, let alone trot. he was sound after the 2nd shockwave so didn't have to wait long to see it had worked.
i'm not against the op completely, just think it's worth trying more conservative options first if possible and they have some chance of success.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Star - your horses injury sounds a bit like mine (although he is 11 and I wouldn't consider him old :) ). He was never really lame, but definitely lame after flexion, and you could tell if he'd been hooning around in the field. I left him in the field for 4 months (under vets advice) as TBH I was getting married at the time too, work was hectic and being out in the field didn't make it any worse (I don't think). Had 3 shockwave treatments on it now, and started ridden work in walk, along with restricted turnout and box rest.

Really not keen on nerve cutting ops, and don't think I would go down this route. I'm hoping he would come sound for jumping again, hacking would be ok, but I would be a little sad as he is just such a good boy :(

star

Visit site
Star - your horses injury sounds a bit like mine (although he is 11 and I wouldn't consider him old :) ). He was never really lame, but definitely lame after flexion, and you could tell if he'd been hooning around in the field. I left him in the field for 4 months (under vets advice) as TBH I was getting married at the time too, work was hectic and being out in the field didn't make it any worse (I don't think). Had 3 shockwave treatments on it now, and started ridden work in walk, along with restricted turnout and box rest.

Really not keen on nerve cutting ops, and don't think I would go down this route. I'm hoping he would come sound for jumping again, hacking would be ok, but I would be a little sad as he is just such a good boy :(

i would just say take it super slow. i took my recovery program quite a bit slower than the vet said. i used magnetic boots, suspensory support boots during work, MSM and devils claw supplements - no idea if any of it did anything but I got a sound horse! Mine was back winning at prelim 7mths after diagnosis. I dont think I jumped him again that yr but the following yr built up a bit again and went back to competing around 2ft6, jumping up to 3ft at home. He was always more of a dressage horse than a jumper and after 2yrs of gently and gradually building it up he built up to completing a Medium test and doing the Petplan Nationals at Novice before he decided to get a completely different injury on his opposite hindleg which did mean retirement from competing.

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
That is the same as my boy. He it just a bit ‘stiff’ on that leg, which you notice mainly when he first walks off and on a circle. My boy however, is not worse with flexion....it is the same. When they did a lameness work up, he was consistently the same straight lines, hard ground and soft ground. It only gets a tad worse on a circle with a rider on. Funny isn’t it, I imagine some horses carry on with PSD unidentified. Just before my boy was diagnosed he had done his first dressage competition and got 68%! not spotted by the judge! You can feel it more with him really, he is just reluctant to go forward and use his back end. I think I would def be take it slow too Star, thanks for recommending the boots etc, excellent idea! Where do you get suspensory support boots from? Ive never heard of them. It is good to hear your boys shock wave was a success. My vets have been pushing for op initially. I am going to await his ultrasound scan first though! I want to know more than ‘he has PSD’ !!

Stencilface – how is your horse doing after shock wave? So far anyway.

star

Visit site
Sports medicine boots - lots of different ones one the market - I went for the originals - he was turned out in them and did all his ridden work in them initially then weaned him off them for flatwork as obviously not allowed them for dressage. Still always used them for jumping. No real evidence behind them for actually supporting the suspensory but I just wanted to do anything that might help.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
So do the support medicine boots actually support the ligament? I am feeding him Topspec 10:10 which has the MSM and glucosamine in it, and also their comprehensive feed balancer to make sure he is getting everything, was thinking about drying some rosehips too - as the hedges are stuffed with them near me. He has a magnetic rug on in the stable at night as the bone scan picked up hotspots all over his sacro iliac, off hind fetlock and hock (PSD is on near hind) and his magetic boots on for a hour a day (although sometimes I accidentally leave them on at night too - can I do this though?).

I am planning on having him restricted for the next 2 months as he is (under vets orders) but if it is wet/snowy he will be on box rest to not risk slipping/strain. He does have mini hoons around his paddock (max 10x10m) and occasionally on our walk hacks he can mess around which makes me v frustrated with him!! He seems sound enough, definitely in walk at least. Chiro is coming out on the 26th and I will trot him up for him then, and show him all the bone scans etc.

Recovery will be slow anyway, as I am supposed to be riding for 15 mins a day at the moment, every day and realistically I am doing twice a week (at even intervals, so weds and a weekend day) as with work and winter approaching I just cannot do anymore. So I'm thinking maybe restricted up until feb at least, although his paddock might gradually get bigger in the last couple of months.

Not planning on jumping him til at least 2013 :( And if he's sound enough will be doing some le trec and fun rides next year. Shockwave does up their chances of recovery quite a bit I think, although my damage is chronic - and I think the circumference of the ligament on the ultrasound wasn't that different to his good one.

My mum was talking to one of her PC bods the other day, and now she is set on sending him to a 'spa' for £120 a week where they do all the rehab for you, as she thinks he is unhappy with the current program, don't think she realises that horses needs are simple, food friends and warmth is all they need - he has no concept of anything else really! :rolleyes: Plus, don't think the insurance will pay for that, and I quite like seeing my horse every day, also I don't trust people easily, and wouldn't want to hand the care of my horse to someone else. If I mess it up, then I have to deal with it - if someone else did, I would never forgive myself!