PTS a pony that's "fine"

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I say fine...

She has holes in her suspensories and malformed spinous processes. So she will never be ridden again.

I'm struggling. She's fine. She lives her best life in the field and is happy. She wants for nothing.

But she's 9 this year. I've had her coming 5 years and ridden her probably 6 months of those, due to various ailments.

I can't reconcile the idea of PTS a pony that's not on 3 legs or already on death's door....but equally she could live another 20 years and my 2 are at livery. My older boy has soundness issues and so I may soon be left with 2 expensive ponies on livery and nothing to ride.

Am I horrible for even considering!? How does anyone ever decide when is appropriate for a pony that is objectively fine and would be happy living her best life in the field for as long as she's able!?

Please no one mention selling or loaning. I would never want her getting into the wrong hands, as she takes a bit of management and understanding.

Timelyattraction

Visit site
Absolutely nothing wrong with doing that. I have a 16hh horse who is now 15 and hasnt been in work since he was 7 due to various medical issues. He is field sound but not up to ridden work. Hes living his best life in the field and the only reason i have kept him all these years is because i have mine at home. If he was on livery he would have been pts a long time ago as i wouldnt be able to afford or justify having a non ridden horse on livery along with my other 2.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Well she has had a very nice retirement. Thinking about it is much worse than doing the deed, although I know just what you are going through. The pony knows nothing, they don't forsee the future.

Sometimes it is the only answer as you can't sell or give away (and who would want to?). If you lost your grazing, or other circumstances couldn't care for her any longer you wouldn't hesitate. It's a problem that can be solved with one phone call.

Its sad, but you have cared for her for years, so she has had a good deal.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Agree with what everyone else has said. My vet of many years told me not to bankrupt myself keeping old horses, that goes double for young ones that potentially could live many years costing you a fortune. She may well be in low level pain already and horses being the stoic animals they are you won't know about it. My sister and I have 3 unrideable ponies but only because we have our own grazing. If we hadn't they would all be pts.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I can empathise, i had an 8 year old who was field sound but just didn’t hold up to ridden work beyond a walk. I really struggled with the decision, i was helped along by him being horrible to have around, he was a very angry horse (pain??) but I’m not going to lie, it was hard and i did have a lot of guilt over it. But now I’m happy i did it, i have a wonderful, happy horse now who reminded me why we do all that we do

coblets

Visit site
I couldn’t do it if she’s not in pain, seems to enjoy life, and the vet doesn’t think she’s on the verge of breaking down. It doesn’t seem right to me to take the life of a horse who’s not suffering, as far as people can tell whether a horse is suffering.

People say that horses don’t care about the future but they’re still living creatures. They still instinctually want to live.

Reacher

Visit site
I can empathise OP and it’s obvious you aren’t considering this lightly.

I am curious to know how supportive vets are in this kind of situation? I am in the situation where the local vet seems likely to want me to carry on treating an elderly retired horse. What do you (people) do if the vet isn’t supportive?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I'd PTS a non-ridden horse that may have an otherwise long and expensive 'retirement' at livery.

I would only tell very trusted people why though & then just tell the masses you'd re-scanned and it had gotten significantly worse or found something else (or whatever vet involvement you want to make up) to avoid unhelpful comment's- you don't need their opinions.

Thinking of you X

meleeka

Visit site
Your last sentence sums it up. You don’t want her ending up in the wrong hands. The only alternative I can see is if a large charity were to take her on and rehome as a companion. Sadly spaces with those are usually reserved for horses that have been passed on and already suffered.

I think you just have to be a bit cold hearted. make your decision based on facts and not emotion, then just do it. You will feel better afterwards and I can guarantee, the horse won’t care either way.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site

I am curious to know how supportive vets are in this kind of situation? I am in the situation where the local vet seems likely to want me to carry on treating an elderly retired horse. What do you (people) do if the vet isn’t supportive?
Hold your ground. They are only not being supportive because once PTS they won't make any more money from the old horse.

webble

Visit site
I'd PTS a non-ridden horse that may have an otherwise long and expensive 'retirement' at livery.

I would only tell very trusted people why though & then just tell the masses you'd re-scanned and it had gotten significantly worse or found something else (or whatever vet involvement you want to make up) to avoid unhelpful comment's- you don't need their opinions.

Thinking of you X
^^^ this is a great reply

Reacher

Visit site
Hold your ground. They are only not being supportive because once PTS they won't make any more money from the old horse.
Thankyou.
I’m not at that point yet, however I have been guilt tripped about considering removal of an eye that has had about 7 ulcers previously and 2 operations at the eye hospital and has a new ulcer (currently being treated with drops). Elderly horse with other complications .

OP sorry for hijacking

Maxidoodle

Visit site
As another poster has said, BHS friends at the end are amazing, they helped me massively when I was forced to PTS my little one, they were so supportive.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the decision to PTS, she’s never going to have a long retirement and I think it’s a better a day too early than a day too late.

I absolutely wouldn’t tell anyone on your yard, just have it done at a quiet time on the yard. I’ve had it happen myself, the decision was really out of my hands and someone, thinking they were helping went all out to find alternatives that just weren’t alternatives and made it very stressful for me, as PTS was the only option.

danda

Visit site
I agree with Coblet, if she is not in pain and living a quiet contented life and you have the means to continue this you should let her be.

Orangehorse

Visit site

Telephone the fallen stock man, previously known as the knacker man. There are at least two near me, one is who we use for cattle and there is a more up market one too. Both have excellent reviews from local horse owners as being kind and professional and respecting the animals.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I agree with Coblet, if she is not in pain and living a quiet contented life and you have the means to continue this you should let her be.
How do you know she isn't in pain?

When my old horse was PTS although losing weight he seemed "fine" - appetite, droppings OK, seemed to be his normal self, but the vet gave him a painkiller the day before. When I looked at him in the field in the morning before the appointment he looked 10 years younger, relaxed and happy and I put it down to the injection having relieved some pain that he was in, that I couldn't tell from day to day and it had taken the tension away.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Telephone the fallen stock man, previously known as the knacker man. There are at least two near me, one is who we use for cattle and there is a more up market one too. Both have excellent reviews from local horse owners as being kind and professional and respecting the animals.

This definitely. Our local professional guy is very calm and sensitive with them. Having had lots of oldies, we've had him here more than I would have liked. He has never asked how old the horse is or why I've asked him to come. Not his place to do so.

IMHO he has more experience of PTS than a vet would as he does it more than they do.

danda

Visit site
I don’t know but the owner should know or if she doesn’t she could find out before making any sort of decision

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've done this with a 10 year old that was fine. I do t regret it but the judgement from others nearly broke me!
Thats the thing some people on yards can be so horrible and judgemental, I've known people have a terrible time and some that are so aware of it they have not told anyone and booked it to be done when not alot of them are around.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Some people are not in a position to do this the op has 2 other horses on livery sometimes you need to be practical about what you can do, often life and finances get in the way and you have to do what is best for you.

w1bbler

Visit site

A slaughterman doesn't ask questions about why. Someone in your local area can probably recommend someone who they know is good with horses. We have a fab guy in Devon who is just brilliant with the animals he is dealing with ( sadly I've seen him deal several times)