PTS a pony that's "fine"

w1bbler

Visit site
Op, in your position I think pts can be done with a clear conscience. Horses are master at hiding discomfort & no-one can say for certain she isn't hurting. I remember the pictures of her spinous processes, does the vet really know she doesn't hurt if she tries to run & buck around her field.
Don't bankrupt yourself & turn horses into an expensive way to be miserable. You tried hard to fix her & found her issues, its not a decision you are making lightly.

webble

Visit site
I agree with Coblet, if she is not in pain and living a quiet contented life and you have the means to continue this you should let her be.
IF and thats the issue who knows for definite. Regardless of that the OP has said that having the means to do so is becoming harder, there is also the emotional cost that cannot be under estimated. PTS is always a difficult situation but making a sensible decision like the OP is thinking of is often a better choice than diving the down the rabbit hole of things to try and before you know it you're the person thats putting wheels on a sausage dog

SEL

Visit site
It's a hard call. I have my own fields and that took the pressure off forever trying to fix the unfixable horse - she's a lady of leisure. 14 this year and happy in the field so she gets to be a pet. I had two non riddens (at one point 3) on livery and it was hard work. I don't have horses in my life just for riding but it did feel like one big slog. Being off a livery yard has definitely removed a lot of pressure.

Is the suspensory damage and kissing spine diagnosis related? Does the vet think it's progressive?

I'd rather PTS than pass on a horse with a problem and wish more people would do the same

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Telephone the fallen stock man, previously known as the knacker man. There are at least two near me, one is who we use for cattle and there is a more up market one too. Both have excellent reviews from local horse owners as being kind and professional and respecting the animals.
^^^ We have a lovely guy like this too. Mine cannot be sedated as she fights it like billy hoh, so when her time comes this is what will happen.

Feeling for you OP. But can I just reassure you that you must not feel guilty in any way if this is the decision you have to make. It will be a decision made out of kindness; in fact the "unkind" thing to do is what sadly one sees every day and that would be to advertise her as a "non-ridden companion". You say that she needs a certain amount of understanding, and what you are considering is exactly what I would be doing, in the circumstances.

I had a lovely sweet mare with trigeminal headshaking. Only 10yo. Should've been in her prime. But it got to the point where because of her condition I couldn't even lead her out. She had got aggressive, not only to other herd members, but to anyone handling her. There was sadly only one choice. I had a lot of people saying ohh do this, try that, get this vet/get that vet, so-and-so fixed one with exactly these symptoms. Easy to say when you're not the one paying the vets bills! But at the end of the day we all have to do what we can, with what we can, and if you are considering PTS for purely economic reasons and because you do not wish this unfortunate pony to fall into the wrong hands, then these are very good reasons indeed.

Sorry you are having to make this choice, it sucks doesn't it. But standing with you. XX

MissMay

Visit site
I did it.
Put to sleep a field sound mare at 15 but she had been out of action maybe 5 years I figured she had 5 good years wanting for nothing.

I told nobody but 3 people to everyone else i said her back was getting worse and she was struggling to get up from a roll and i didn't want to find her down one day.

Of course I still think and miss her sometimes I feel over come with guilt but my vets absolutely stood by Me and agreed with my decision as did those that know.

It's very easy to say no you should keep them when you're not paying the bills, emotionally invested, and worrying about them. She has had a nicer retirement than most and will go with her head in a bucket of feed.

ponynutz

Visit site
I don't think you can ever be in the wrong for making the right decision for a horse. As others have said she could deteriorate at any time.

I know you said she's not the easiest to manage but I do wonder whether loaning might still be an option? I agree you shouldn't sell her as a companion because there are far too many nasty people out there but if you loaned her as a companion only and asked to see her once a week (could be under the guise of checking still field sound etc) might that work? Could even be to someone you know that's in need of a companion? If she begins to deteriorate then make that decision? She's clearly happy being out of work!

Sorry you're in this position and I want to make it clear me suggesting that isn't out of judgement, only to give you an alternative solution if you're struggling to reconcile yourself with PTS x

dorsetladette

Visit site
I totally support PTS - better a day to soon than a day to late.

Also agree with others, don't tell anyone that doesn't need to know. As far as the outside world is concerned her back or suspensories are getting worse and you have made the call before she suffers.

Book the appointment and get the day organised, then give her the best few days of her life - fresh grass, treats, take her for an in hand walk, what ever you and her enjoy doing. Then when the time comes have a big bucket of all the treats she likes the most.

Horses are an expensive hobby and if you have horses to enable to to ride, you sometimes need to make hard decisions to be able to continue to enjoy your hobby. As said above don't turn horses into an expensive way to be miserable.

I have one on borrowed time. If he can't be with me (or a very trusted/known loan home) he will be PTS as I can't risk someone trying to back him again. He is absolutely fine, but mentally he is scared from past experiences.

honetpot

Visit site
I can empathise OP and it’s obvious you aren’t considering this lightly.

I am curious to know how supportive vets are in this kind of situation? I am in the situation where the local vet seems likely to want me to carry on treating an elderly retired horse. What do you (people) do if the vet isn’t supportive?
Just call out the knacker man.

slimjim86

Visit site
It's a difficult one for me to comment on, I'm on the same page as the minority posters here who said they couldn't pts a horse that is living a happy and pain free life( as much as we know any retired horse is pain free), I didn't buy another horse when I retired mine 10 years ago as I couldn't afford a 2nd one and my responsibly was to the one I already had. Obviously if her health deteriorates then that's a different decision to make. I wouldn't want the OP to feel bad if she did pts if she felt that was right for her I'm just saying based on their post it's not a decision I could make.

sjdress

Visit site
I’m in a similar situation with a 23 yo. I’ve owned her for 18 years and she is my absolute heart horse. She has been lame on and off for approx 5 years. I’ve tried medicating joints, remedial farriery, barefoot , rest, managing the ground etc but she just wouldn’t stay sound so I retired her. She’s fairly happy out in the field I think. However This year she has lost a lot of weight which worries me and in reality I know I cannot afford to keep her as a pet forever as she is on livery. I think i have found a local field for her which will be cheaper, but I know the time will come in the next couple of years to make that decision and it’s heartbreaking.

Tarragon

Visit site
A horse that has had a good life and has a dignified death is fine.
I also believe that I will be the sort of person that chooses to PTS a horse because I either don't want to put it through a hard medical procedure and the following recovery, or because it is an older horse that has had a good retirement.
I do not want to wait until the horse condition deteriorates to the point I have no option.
However, I had yet to be be put to the test! One pony I owned broke her leg in a horrific field accident, so it was clear cut. My age-retired pony is now 26 and has had cushings for 10 years and is a lovely soul to have about as a companion pony, and my soundness-retired pony is a companion pony for a local friend! perhaps my views will change when I am faced with it, but I don't think so.

Follysmum

Visit site
I have been in similar situation and only you can decide what’s best for you , it’s no one else’s business tbh.

We couldn’t do it, even though some professionals had suggested it, he was 6 yrs old dangerous to ride but field sound, 16yrs later he’s still here and loving life.

It’s very unfair to judge as it’s much better to know their fate than to be passed on and live a miserable life.

Hamlet

Visit site
I feel you OP, I am in the same position at the moment, bought the horse as a yearling, backed myself, had issues on issues, didn’t really get much riding in and then retired by 8 after a year of investigations. He’ll be 11 this year and he’s living his best life in a retirement herd but I know the suspensories are going to get the better of him one day as his scans were poor. I’m almost just waiting for him to get laminitis as he gets sooo fat every summer and I tell myself the first touch of it, he’s gone. But he seems to be lami resistant 🙈

I’m not sure I can just do it while he’s happy but then surely it’s better to go before he’s poorly or in pain. It’s heart breaking and a decision I’m constantly at war with myself about.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Thankyou all for your responses. Whether you would or wouldn't in the same position as me. I'm sorry I can't reply to everyone individually, but I'll try to cover as many questions as possible.

I couldn't/wouldn't loan her as a companion as she's tricky to handle and quite quick to go on the defensive with other horses. She's only turned out with my boy because 1) the only vets bills it could generate are my own and 2) my boy is very passive and just keeps out of her way! So not really an ideal companion. I'd also find it quite stressful for her to be out of my management (I was endlessly anxious when she was away for schooling and at rehab).

She's had a number of issues through the years and has seen a number of vets (including big vets hospitals) for her lameness issues under saddle. She also unfortunately ended up having colic surgery due to sand colic whilst she was away at a trainers (she was there at suggestion of the vet). Then when all the investigations proved fruitless with the vets, I sent her 3 hours away to a rehab yard where we discovered her "pointy" spine and the ligament issues.

She certainly has not been cheap in all these years. She's no longer insured due to basically being excluded for everything. She has probably had 10k of my own money spent on her in addition to £££ insurance claims, so it hasn't been for lack of trying to get her right, sadly.

It's really tough. I don't know if she's hurting day to day, and I'm not sure any further diagnostics would be able to tell me that.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I've done this with a 10 year old that was fine. I do t regret it but the judgement from others nearly broke me!

Same here.. he was rising 10. He didn’t look healthy to me (no muscle, tripped and stumbled in front and looked like the light had gone out) but he looked fine to others. I got some hate for it, and am no longer friends with those who didn’t understand.

He had chronic neck malformation which had caused bad arthritis, steroids only lasted a couple of months. He had summer off and deteriorated in that time. I don’t regret the decision which was to PTS before winter.

In short, no criticism for me. It’s expensive to keep a horse retired at the end of the day and nothing is cheap these days. I personally would PTS if she were mine/boot was on the other foot.

There are 2 retired horses at my yard, no shelter and up almost to their knees in mud. Owner thinks they have a lovely life out 24/7 but they look depressed and sad. I think there are worst fates than death.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I am curious to know how supportive vets are in this kind of situation? I am in the situation where the local vet seems likely to want me to carry on treating an elderly retired horse. What do you (people) do if the vet isn’t supportive?

Vets differ in how supportive they are. If you have a vet who is not supportive, or you just don't want the discussion, or you think a bullet is a better way to go, or you don't want to pay £4-600 for an injection, then you call a knacker man.

vhf

Visit site
I couldn't/wouldn't loan her as a companion as she's tricky to handle and quite quick to go on the defensive with other horses.
I'm sorry you are in this position, but that sentence is very 'telling' to me. I know any horse can be tricky to handle/not good with others, but. Horses in pain/unhappy are also often tricky to handle and not good with others. I'd be very suspicious that the behaviour is related to the physical issues, and I am pretty sure there's no way to know for sure one way or the other. I'm sure you could test it by filling up with painkillers and seeing if the behaviour changed but if it didn't, it wouldn't necessarily mean much. Pain meds don't fix all pain and hard-wired habits may not switch off even if the original cause is gone.
I'd also worry that were anything to happen to me, what would happen to anyone providing interim (or longer) care. Would they be as understanding and mindful of her needs. Would that be yet another worry for you at a time when you needed to focus on something else?
As owners of large potentially dangerous creatures, we have many responsibilities and many tough decisions to make.

pistolpete

Visit site
I’m in a similar situation. Except mine is 18 now. Been retired fully three years so I did have a few years riding him. I bought him as a ten year old. Mine would be a rubbish companion too. He’s quite shy and nervous with people but will plant. He can be aggressive with other horses around food. He still sound enough in a flat field. Stifle issues. I can’t PTS but totally understand when people say I should. Just personally it feels morally wrong. Can only speak from my own experience.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don’t know [how to tell if the horse is in pain] but the owner should know or if she doesn’t she could find out before making any sort of decision

You can't ever tell that a horse is not in pain.

If you were to ask humans with holes in tendons then I suspect most of them would tell you that they are in some level of pain.

meleeka

Visit site
It's a difficult one for me to comment on, I'm on the same page as the minority posters here who said they couldn't pts a horse that is living a happy and pain free life( as much as we know any retired horse is pain free), I didn't buy another horse when I retired mine 10 years ago as I couldn't afford a 2nd one and my responsibly was to the one I already had. Obviously if her health deteriorates then that's a different decision to make. I wouldn't want the OP to feel bad if she did pts if she felt that was right for her I'm just saying based on their post it's not a decision I could make.

I couldn’t do it either, but I wouldn’t judge anyone else for it. I’m lucky not to have been in the situation where I’ve had to consider it. I don’t think PTS is ever the wrong decision if it’s made with thought and in the best interests of the horse, when circumstances mean things cant carry on the same.

Ruftys mum

Visit site
Agree with what everyone else has said. My vet of many years told me not to bankrupt myself keeping old horses, that goes double for young ones that potentially could live many years costing you a fortune. She may well be in low level pain already and horses being the stoic animals they are you won't know about it. My sister and I have 3 unrideable ponies but only because we have our own grazing. If we hadn't they would all be pts.
I have a pony is 31 He has Cushing's and arthritis. His medication costs me a lot plus the cost of retirement livery. I am retired and do not know how long I can afford the expense.However he seems really well and it would be a very hard decision to p.t.s If however he got a serious illness the decision would be made

misst

Visit site
She is not "fine" she is less than fine. You have given her a life many horses would envy and if you have come to the end of your ability to give her everything financially and/or emotionally there is no shame in admitting it. It is hard to admit "defeat" though I know. There will be people saying send her to a rescue/retirement home. Send to someone who wants her - but she is yours and your responsibility. You owe her nothing except a safe end. If you gave her this final gift, I for one would not think you were wrong. She has no concept of the future. If you pts the anticipation will be yours not hers. Whatever you decide it has to be right for you x

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I called the hunt because I didn’t want to have a vet tell me all the other multitude of investigations we could do, he had gone bi-laterally lame and had exhausted the insurance.

I told the non close friends further tests had confirmed no hope. I would have challenged any of them to keep my horse as he was so difficult no one would help me with him.

magicmoments

Visit site
I can empathise OP and it’s obvious you aren’t considering this lightly.

Earlier this year I had my horse put to sleep, as she developed an eye abcess. The vet warned me from the beginning it was unlikely to resolve, so the only option would be to remove the eye, job done. Initially vet was not supportive of my decision to put down, as the eye could be removed, but over the coming days of visits, when I explained that I was already concerned with her level of comfort(not ridden) and on pain killers, along with the fact she was lowest down on the pecking order on a track system, I did not want to make her more vulnerable, or have to move her to another yard mixing her with horses I had no control over, and she was coming up to 20. In the end the vet could see I had her best interests at heart. I will add that the vet practice that dealt with her eye abscess were a different practice to my normal one due heavy flooding the day before the call out. All her notes were forwarded over though.

Irishdraughtx

Visit site
I've just had my cob put to sleep last week who had hock arthritis. Very similar story to you I bought him as a 5 year old and had six months riding out of him before he went lame and had been retired for almost 6 years. The only thing I regret now in hindsight is not putting him to sleep sooner for various reasons. He was really happy in the field retired but he was my only horse and it has prevented me from riding regularly over the 6 years I owned him as I couldn't afford another until he went.