PTS - being there with the horse or not?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
WOW Cortez,, my knackersman never puts a hook in the eye socket, that is so gross and would distress me and i have been there for all of mine. He treats them with respect and dignity even when he winches them in.
Well of course he does, a good huntsman or knackerman will always do so. I don't think it's gross, simply the best way to load large deadstock, probably more than most want to see though and why they'll have to do it another way when owner is present.

FAYEFUDGE

Visit site
I've posted on here before as I very sadly lost my mare to a severe tendon injury last year which resulted in PTS. I put off buying a new horse for a while but earlier this year took the plunge and bought a horse I knew well from a friend. We have had an amazing summer together but unfortunately after a bout of symptoms but no obvious cause, an ultrasound has detected tumours that are too advanced and too wide spread to treat.

I'm devastated to be in this position so soon and really dreading facing the whole procedure of putting another horse to sleep. My last horse was not already at the vets we had to transport her there so then I wanted to stay with her as I was worried she would be unsettled.

My gelding this time is already at the vets and has been there a week now with regular visits from me. Now that the decision has been made to pts I'm finding visiting him distressing and I'm undecided about whether to drive over when he is pts in next few days or whether to leave my last memory of him as I saw him at the weekend when I took a picnic to have with him in the hand grazing paddock and he was still quite happy and relaxed.

I suppose what I'm asking is has anyone had any regrets about not being there when their horse was pts?
I was there with my boy. Felt like the right thing to do for me and I’ve no regrets. Equally, I’ve had friends who just couldn’t be there and that’s fine too.
Do what is right for you xx

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
In my opinion only, so please don't take this in any other way, but at that moment your pony needed the huntsman the most and not you. Horses are not like dogs and are used to being handled and attended to by many other people during their lives, I am interested in what people think they are bringing to the situation. In talking to vet and knackermen friends, the presence of a distraught owner is the very last thing either they or the pony need.
This all day long!

👏👏👏👏👏👏

Pegasus5531

Visit site
WOW Cortez,, my knackersman never puts a hook in the eye socket, that is so gross and would distress me and i have been there for all of mine. He treats them with respect and dignity even when he winches them in.
I have been extremely fortunate that our farrier and trusted friend also runs the equine crematorium so I know my horse has been treated with as much dignity and respect as possible which is very comforting. I feel I made the right decision for us and now just miss him terribly :(

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
They put a rope around their neck or back legs (depending on the position of the body) and winch them in. As i said i have seen it done many times for friends as well as my own over the decades...he hasn't even got a hook attachment.
(i don't like eyes even in my job!)
same here round the neck and front legs same with when they are injected. Sorry but i find that gross and disturbing, would never do this to my horses.

SEL

Visit site
I have held numerous horses for euthanasia over the years, and been there whilst they were loaded up and taken away. I've never held one of my own; I don't particularly want my last sight of a much-beloved horse to be being winched into a knackers lorry with a hook in the eye socket
I've seen many removed and always with ropes around being winched into the trailer. Ditto other fallen livestock.

Its pretty straightforward if they die in a convenient location. The one thing I have always promised myself is that while the horse is still conscious I will try and make sure it can be PTS somewhere easy for removal - even if it needs sedating to the eyeballs. That followed a horrible removal from a stable. Still no hooks though!

OP I'm relieved it went peacefully - that's all we can ask at the end xx

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
I've held several for other people but I know I cannot be there for my own. I end up being a blubbering snotty mess and it helps no one. I spoil them rotten the few days before they go and when possible have them pts at home. They don't know what's happening and I'd far rather they were held by someone who they knew but was calm.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've never seen a hook used, but I have seen one of my own winched into the lorry still running. He was a horse with a huge life force, which was part of his issue coping with blindness at 4, and his body still had life in it even if his brain didn't. I haven't watched one winched since, it was pretty awful even for someone unsqueamish.

Pedantic

Visit site
Been there for daughters pony and for a friend's horse, both I had dealt with regularly and ridden both, so had a bond with them, when it's my old lads time I really want to be there with him, after 20 years together (and hoping for a few yet) and done so much together, he knows me and who to come to when he isn't right or in pain, unlike us, they don't know it's coming or worry about it beforehand, they won't know we weren't there, it's more for us as the owner that feels the need, I definitely want to be there, but I have no problem with anyone not able to face it or whatever, more importantly was how they looked after and treated the animal whilst alive, and knew when it was time to say goodbye, rather than selfishly keeping the animal lingering on.

HorseMaid

Visit site
I led my old mare round and handed her over to the very kind knacker man, she went (by gun) with her face in a big bucket of carrots and apples. I ran round the corner and stuck my fingers in my ears, but still heard the shot and started sobbing. I remember looking back and seeing her legs and tail sticking out from around the corner on the floor although I didn't see her body in full. Then had to clean up once the lorry had gone as it was extraordinarily messy, truly horrific.

Upsetting for me, but for my horse it was instantaneous and I'd do the same method again. I'd have no issue whatsoever with an owner who didn't want to be on the premises, their coping mechanisms are nobody elses business.

babymare

Visit site
Seen many and removals but my Babymare was a sweet peaceful time. I held it together till she fell. My vet grabbed my shoulder and lower me to ground and held in her arms whilst I cried. She then sent me away when my girl went. But stayed to hug me again before she left. Amazing vet ❤️

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
It's always so hard and horrible to have to let them go whether it's planned or not.
Personally if you feel that you are going to be so (understandably) upset that your emotions will transfer to the horse than don't be there. If you feel like you can be a calming influence without letting your emotions be overwhelming then be there. It is always traumatising to see a beloved friend go and no one should or ought to judge you for whatever decision you make as you are doing the best thing for your friend.

millitiger

Visit site
I cannot be with mine.
I am far too emotional and think I would upset, rather than calm them.

I am very thankful my OH will be there and I also have a very, very experienced knackersman who is good with even very flighty horses.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
All bar one of mine have been put down by gun. I hand over and walk away fingers in ears. I use a very good knackerman and he has a bag ready that he whips over their heads once down to catch any blood. Never had a mess left by him. One was put down by needle after failing to respond to colic treatment, I held her. That was really no different to holding them while they are being anaesthetised which I have done a lot with castrations except they don't get up again. I did hold my sister's little welsh when he was shot by someone from the hunt. He was dropped in a big puddle on concrete, it was suggested that would deal with the blood. It didn't, just spread it. I was frantically trying to brush it away because it was our farm sale the next day and many people would be walking through there. Not something I will ever forget and that was 29yrs ago. The pony was 30 and had cushings, not sure if that was why so much blood.
I find I can be quite controlled in these situations despite feeling desperately upset inside but I know many people can't. We are all different.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Horses are very used to us not being around. No one is ever with their horse 24/7. The horse doesn’t know that their last moments are just that. They have no idea if you’re there or not.
It’s entirely what’s best for you, there is no right or wrong. I’m so sorry this is happening,

Nudibranch

Visit site
For the first few I had pts I was there to say goodbye but handed them over at the last minute. All with the gun. Then I had an emergency and was on my own so was with her. Thank goodness as the vet persuaded me the injection was the right option and it definitely wasn't. I posted it elsewhere a long time ago so won't dig it up now but at least from her point of view I was there for comfort.

Fast forward several years and a different and quite amazing vet. He gave me the confidence to be there with my big lad and it was a really special thing, strange as it sounds. Back to the gun, expert vet, absolutely textbook. The biggest loss when we moved last year was that vet. He is incredible. It's actually a bit stressful thinking about what I would do now, as we have to use a big, faceless practice and not one of them will ever know me or my horses like our old vet.

Anyway there's no right or wrong answer, you do what feels right. I hope it all goes as well as it can x

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
That’s such an awful situation to be in again. I’m really sorry. 😢

I wasn’t allowed to stay with mine at the RVC, but I chose to stay with Beau when he was pts at the yard. My friends made me look away when the knackerman used the winch, certainly didn’t want to see that, but I felt I had to be there for him being pts.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Its ultimately your choice. For me, I am always there. I absolutely hate it, but I feel I have to be there for my horse as Im familiar to him. I couldnt just let a stranger (vet) be with him. Id also take the horse home too (if hes fit to travel) and let him chill out in the field (where his home is) for a couple days with lots of treats and then do it in the field. But then I leave the body for a few hours so my other horses/s can say goodbye, then I have them buried on my own land - I cant be there for that bit. My OH deals with the digger man and getting the horse put in the hole, that would be horrific to see that part. Each to their own though, its tough whatever you do.