PTS or Carry on?

Carobean

Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for similar experiences or advice. I'm currently working with my vet so will be guided by her.

I have a lovely TB gelding, 7 yo with the most divine temperament but lots of soundness issues, I'll try to be concise:

1. Mild KS - variable response to palpation and nerve blocks were negative so we think it might be an incidental finding
2. Swelling and heat around both front coffin joints
3. Arthritis in both back fetlocks
4. Negative hoof pastern access on all 4.
5. Cyst like lesions in both stifles - although vet thought this could also be an anatomical variation, we're not ruling out that this is causing pain
6. Splint front left

His way of going:
1. Frequent tripping, in front and back
2. Toe dragging both hinds
3. Heavy on the forehand
4. Lacks impulsion

He's currently on Equioxx so going to see if that makes a difference. When we did a lameness workup he was lame back left, and both front.

I strongly suspect he's done his left hind suspensory but nerve blocks and scans will be done in the next week to confirm.

I will absolutely do what I can within reason to make him comfortable (remedial shoes/injections/rehab) but I have hopes of doing low level eventing and there's just so much going on with him physically that I'm worried he won't ever be sound enough/comfortable enough. I also don't know if mentally (and financially) I can do a years worth of only in-hand walking without the prospect of him comfortably returning to work, if he has done a suspensory.

He is the most lovable character and this is killing me!!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I always think that if a loving owner is contemplating pts then it's never a wrong choice. People don't generally reach that point without a reason.
You know your horse better than anyone so if that's starting to creep into your mind, I personally would support your decision if that was the way your heart took you.

Its a big list of problems and as you say rehab may be lengthy with no guarantees.
I would not want to push you either way, some people would want to continue exploring all avenues available to them. Neither is wrong imo so long as the horse is not suffering. Has your vet given any idea on prognosis?

TheMule

Visit site
I personally would rule out any prospect of a ridden future and make my decision from there. You could spend a lot more on diagnostics and find more things wrong, but how he's presenting currently indicates ridden life is painful for him and potentially dangerous for you

Carobean

Visit site
I always think that if a loving owner is contemplating pts then it's never a wrong choice. People don't generally reach that point without a reason.
You know your horse better than anyone so if that's starting to creep into your mind, I personally would support your decision if that was the way your heart took you.

Its a big list of problems and as you say rehab may be lengthy with no guarantees.
I would not want to push you either way, some people would want to continue exploring all avenues available to them. Neither is wrong imo so long as the horse is not suffering. Has your vet given any idea on prognosis?

Thank you so much for your response! She hasn't as yet, as I wanted to wait until we do all the nerve blocks before making any conclusions but I think I'm just preparing myself for either eventuality. Like I said, within reason, I will do everything I can for him... I just don't know if my emotions and love for this sweet boy are getting in the way of me making what may be the kinder decision.

honetpot

Visit site
I thought this was going to be an old animal, when sometimes its difficult to judge how gradual deterioration is affecting their life.
At seven, I would be calling it a day, a young horse should have the 'joy' of being young, they live at the moment, they do not know that what ever they are feeling is going to pass, they just want to get away from that discomfort, and be able to get out of the way of a threat. You will be managing and worrying about his welfare for the rest of his life. One of my first horses had navicular, which I managed, but every day was a worry.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
It sounds like he will never do the job you had hoped to do with him. He will cost you a lot in time, money and mental stress, before he even gets to being a good hacking horse.

Personally I would call it a day with him for a ridden career and if you do not have the facilities/time/money to keep him as a pasture ornament then pts would be a kind end.

Ratface

Visit site
I'm so sorry that you and your horse are in this situation. I'm another person who believes in the old saying "Better a week too early, than a day too late".
I would arrange for him to be pts as soon as possible. Whatever method you use,(experienced equine knacker or veterinarian) your horse will know nothing other than being free from constant pain.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I'm so sorry you've found yourself this position. He's a lucky horse to be with an owner with his best interests at heart. That's quite a list. I'm usually one to say give him time and get vet etc etc but his list of issues is quite long. A friends horse has stifle cysts and became dangerous through pain. It's a very difficult decision but I'm sure you will make the right one for your horse as hard as it may be for you.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Can you afford to turn him away for a year and see how he comes back??

Sometimes time and rest can make a huge difference; the problem then however is whether he'd ever be sound again once you did bring him back into work.

Such a horrible position for any owner to be in; I had to PTS my lovely sweet 10yo mare last summer who had trigeminal nerve headshaking and that was awful, so feeling your pain and sense of lost potential if you do decide to PTS.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
It's a hard decision with a nice horse, I really feel for you. If he were mine, I would remove shoes and turn him out, continue anti-inflams/painkillers, and get a good barefoot trimmer/farrier with barefoot knowledge to come and trim every six weeks. I would do this with a mind to re-assessing the situation in September to see if there has been any improvement. Even one month down the line will give you an indication of whether he is heading in the right direction. I suppose it really depends on whether you are happy for him to be better than he is, or whether he has been purchased with competing in mind.

Carobean

Visit site
It's a hard decision with a nice horse, I really feel for you. If he were mine, I would remove shoes and turn him out, continue anti-inflams/painkillers, and get a good barefoot trimmer/farrier with barefoot knowledge to come and trim every six weeks. I would do this with a mind to re-assessing the situation in September to see if there has been any improvement. Even one month down the line will give you an indication of whether he is heading in the right direction. I suppose it really depends on whether you are happy for him to be better than he is, or whether he has been purchased with competing in mind.

Interestingly, he's been on Equioxx for the last 4 days and I trotted him up yesterday and the toe dragging is completely gone! I'm not saying we're out of the woods and the indication of soundness due to painkillers presents an ethical question as well... But he seemed really well in himself so I'm very hopeful now.

I asked about going barefoot, especially as he was so fussy with his back feet and the farrier. He felt that as he has quite poor feet, he would ultimately end up destroying them. I've also read about remedial shoes (heart bar or egg bar) being helpful for horses with flat feet so will enquire about this when we do x-rays. Maybe barefoot with boots for turnout so he doesn't ruin his feet? I doubt he'd cope barefoot all the time and he is very foot sore when he pulls a shoe

Carobean

Visit site
Can you afford to turn him away for a year and see how he comes back??

Sometimes time and rest can make a huge difference; the problem then however is whether he'd ever be sound again once you did bring him back into work.

Such a horrible position for any owner to be in; I had to PTS my lovely sweet 10yo mare last summer who had trigeminal nerve headshaking and that was awful, so feeling your pain and sense of lost potential if you do decide to PTS.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I am still hopeful that we can address his issues given that he is sound on Equioxx, but will have to wait and see what the scans reveal before making any decisions.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
I asked about going barefoot, especially as he was so fussy with his back feet and the farrier. He felt that as he has quite poor feet, he would ultimately end up destroying them. I've also read about remedial shoes (heart bar or egg bar) being helpful for horses with flat feet so will enquire about this when we do x-rays. Maybe barefoot with boots for turnout so he doesn't ruin his feet? I doubt he'd cope barefoot all the time and he is very foot sore when he pulls a shoe

Possibly you have found your cause of pain. Please, please read all you can about hoof rehabilitation. The USA and Australia are streets ahead of the UK when it comes to challenging long held traditions about shoeing. Pete Ramey, Jamie Jackson, Dr Robert Bowker, Rockley Farm are all good sources of information, and Pete Ramey has a special interest in navicular and coffin joint changes caused by shoes.
If the painkillers enable him to be sound enough to start placing the foot properly, which will allow the heel to build up and start weight bearing, which will allow minute changes that may just put things back in balance.......then the painkillers are valid and you are not using them to mask the condition.
I am not an evangilistic barefoot tub-thumper, but I do think we owe it to our horses to educate ourselves about feet and not blindly trust our farriers. Good luck. I hope you have an optimistic summer.

Carobean

Visit site
Thought I'd just hop back on here as I've found everyone's objective advice and input very helpful.
I spoke too soon... The benefits of the Equioxx lasted about a day and he has resumed the toe dragging and tripping. He is also forging terribly, like almost every stride.

The vet rescoped on Wednesday and the ulcers are unchanged despite a month's worth of weekly omeprazole injections and sucralfate twice a day.
Oh, and then he colicked after the scope. He was okay after the vet gave him an injection of buscopan (?), thank God.

I'm starting to feel like I'm delusional thinking I can get him right. I'm just feeling a bit emotionally drained.

Ratface

Visit site
I'm sorry that your horse is not responding to your vet's and your efforts to make him
more comfortable.
Are you able to get your vet out again?
Personally, I would be arranging for pts, after being spoilt with every one of his favourite treats, and by being kissed and fussed by all his human/animal friends.
Your horse would be pain-free and your minute-by-minute anxiety would be over.