PTS or keep going

windand rain

Visit site
Have seen many shot by the knackerman and there has only ever been a small amount of blood as the man has a bag ready to cover their head. Only one there was a mess with was one very old chap that the vet failed to kill due to his slow circulation she went back to the surgery for the gun so was a long process It was raining heavily and his owner was already distraught so I cleaned up once he was collected for which she was advised not to stay. I am sure with young horses with good circulation it works well and it is purely personal choice both are equally good

Ratface

Visit site
I have only ever had my own horses pts, both by injection. They went calmly and peacefully, assisted by their trusted equine vet. He has now retired and I don't know the current members of his previous practice.
I have held horses whilst they were shot: their owners couldn't be there for various reasons. The knackers who attended were calm, reassuring and utterly respectful of both horses and humans. I watched as one deceased horse was loaded: again, respectful, quiet and calm.
I'm on a small private yard. The owner has always had her horses pts by injection. When Old Horse departs, depending on the circumstances, I will, of course, take her wishes and feelings into account. I would prefer to have him shot.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
The only thing I will say is there was a LOT of blood on one, and for this reason I’m not sure if I’d have another done the same way.
Our knacker has a black bag ready and pulls it over their head as soon as they are down. No blood on the ground at all. When I have had the hunt out to do the job they don't and there can be a lot of blood.

Pegasus5531

Visit site
I feel you have answered your own question in the post. You've done your best for her and often the hardest but kindest thing to do is PTS and unfortunately a lot of people aren't brave enough. I know people will suggest rescues, long term loans or retirement livery but the fact is most of these options still either require some long term financial contribution from you or you passing the horse on to someone else which even with a calm, gentle horse is a concern if they have health issues. You don't have to feel guilty for doing what is best for you and the horse, if you are struggling to support her financially and you are miserable and she isn't sellable I think it may be the kindest option but only you can decide that.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Our knacker has a black bag ready and pulls it over their head as soon as they are down. No blood on the ground at all. When I have had the hunt out to do the job they don't and there can be a lot of blood.

I’ve seen a few done by the same lady and none have had any blood, either did my first horse but my last one did. She said the placing was good but it must of hit a internal artery or clipped a bone in his head, I won’t go into detail it was a significant amount of blood. Sadly the bag made no difference when it’s like a hosepipe.

She said that’s only happened a handful of times before and extremely unusual. The actual shot was sudden and he knew nothing about it, which was why I chose it and I don’t regret choosing this way.

I said he wanted to put his mark on the ground and it is a gorgeous place on the yard that over looks the village where we live.

Berpisc

Visit site
Thanks for everyone’s advice and kind words. My sweet girl has gone. My heart is shattered but no regrets. When does it get easier?
It gets easier slowly and takes time for your heart to mend. You absolutely did the right thing and put her long term welfare first. Look after yourself.

meleeka

Visit site
I remember that feeling too. Mine was 29 so I don’t think it’s exclusive to those that go young. I think it’s just part of the process. It’s always better once the worst has happened and you don’t need to worry about it anymore, but that takes a few days, or it did in my case. Feel what you need to feel and just know that it won’t last.

Thinking of you x

babymare

Visit site
You have given your girl the ultimate of love. Be kind to yourself and give yourself time to grieve. It is hard but in time it will get “easier” but the loss never fully goes. I still have odd tear some7 years on. Sending you big hugs x

Peglo

Visit site
I have read your threads but haven’t messaged as everyone else said it better. But sending massive hugs and really hope you start to feel better very soon. Take care of yourself x

Birker2020

Visit site
Is it normal to have feelings of guilt leading up to the event, feeling like you should have done more (and maybe things wouldn’t have got to this point if you have done things differently) and feeling like this is an awful thing to do? Does that pass?
Hell yes. But everyone feels like that. Looking back I have 100% certainty I did the right thing and at the right time.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Thanks for everyone’s advice and kind words. My sweet girl has gone. My heart is shattered but no regrets. When does it get easier?

Thinking of you.. ♥️ The right decision but a hard one. It will get easier over time. I felt at ease knowing they knew nothing about what was going to happen and it’s us that feels the pain now they’ve gone.

Visit site
Thank you all for the kind words. This is so much harder than I thought. I now hate going to the yard, everything reminds me of her and the choice I made. My children’s pony is kept at the same yard so it’s unavoidable:-( Any tips? Should I look to move the pony or will this feeling pass?

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
The feeling will pass. And you'll be able to think of the happy memories. I had my old boy PTS in the field and kept my young horse in the same yard. I hated going by the field and found it very hard for a few months after but one day I looked out and there was a rainbow starting in the exact spot he went down. made me feel better.

You're incredibly brave, made the right decision and I'm sure your little mare has already thanked you for it. she's pain free

Focus on your childs pony and start making fun. It does get easier, it really does. But don't kick yourself for having sad feelings, or guilty ones, it's all part of the process.

This too, will pass.

Hugs your way