PTT training and exam. Any tips?

Natch

Visit site
I've just started training for my PTT, and having come off the phone to the BHS am quite glad I rang up to clarify things with them as it seems to have changed since my friends did it.

I've only just started training for it. What's good to do to train? Which books are good - I'll get the BHS one and my SS kindly gave me a jumping exercises one to help with it, but sometimes other publisher's books are good - which do you recommend? Any tips?

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Hi Natch! I'm also working towards my PTT. I don't have a lot of experience as an instructor as I missed the whole working pupil thing when I was a child. I've used the Hazel Reed books all the way through so far, which I find very useful. Also, definitely get the Themed Lesson Plans book. I am currently attending PTT training evenings at a Where to Train centre, which are proving useful, and helping out a local riding school occasionally.

I'm also currently reading through the Learning Resources Pack on the BHS site, link below.
http://www.bhs.org.uk/~/media/bhs/files/pdf-documents/exams/ptt-learning-resources-pack.ashx

Hope this helps!

teapot

Visit site
As someone who was used a guinea pig for PTT practice lessons years ago (so may well have changed in what's expected/outcomes/teaching versus coaching), I think constantly teaching a wide variety of riders, abilties and horses will only help - if you can find somewhere to do it, then grab the chance with both hands, or find four/five/six friends who'll willingly ride as a group for you.

Is the PTT more along the lines of 'coaching' than direct teaching now? I helped a friend practice for her UKCC One the other week. She found it really helpful to work on timings when it came to introducing herself, checking tack, nailing how long warm up and cool downs would take, implementing her lesson plan and the time it takes to get four riders warmed up etc. If I remember rightly the new PTT involves spending time with each of your individual riders that make up the group. You get what 25/30mins? - practice it, it's so easy when you're not in an exam situation to be a bit too relaxed (friend was like this) and not solely focused on job at hand.

Natch

Visit site
Saffron I see you're from Essex you're not one of the ladies I met at Newton Hall the other night are you...? Thanks for the book recommendations :D I'm "mature" too, so am not doing the whole working pupil thing either, though I've volunteered to help for the day at the yard this saturday in return for being able to assist teaching lessons. Hopeing that will be useful and that I'll be able to do that a fair bit.

Teapot yes, practice is definately on the agenda! And yes, more coaching-ey now. Had my first lesson on monday, observing others teaching practice sitting next to my instructor who was critiquing, offering reasons why this that or the other was good or what would be better. I'm just on the start of the learning curve, learning what I don't know!

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Saffron I see you're from Essex you're not one of the ladies I met at Newton Hall the other night are you...? Thanks for the book recommendations :D I'm "mature" too, so am not doing the whole working pupil thing either, though I've volunteered to help for the day at the yard this saturday in return for being able to assist teaching lessons. Hopeing that will be useful and that I'll be able to do that a fair bit.

Oh wow yes! Small world eh?! :D

Farma

Visit site
I would get everything prepared, all lesson plans and presentations and then find guinea pigs to make sure the lessons run smoothly and to the plan!
I took a pen and paper into my lesson and wrote names down of horse and riders as forgetting the names of pupils is not good!
a few people failed the jump lesson when I was doing mine as they kept the jumps too small and didn't progress their riders and also didn't keep total control of the ride at all times.
Make sure you know your jump distances for ponies and horses inside out as I was pushed hard on that point!
also we all had to do a demo on certain things I had how to do a turn on the forehand so make sure you are comfortable explaining basic concepts to a group.
I can't think of anything else but if anyone wants any help feel free to msg x

TandD

Visit site
I did my ptt last year at Kingston maurward. the way to train is to teach lessons. there is no other substitute for it!!!
if you don't already have groups/individuals to teach I suggest you find somewhere to volunteer that will allow you to run lessons every week. I went to my local rda centre and they were so welcoming and helpful. after explaining what I was wanting to do they threw ever lesson they could at me! right from novice riders on the leadrein to people practicing dressage tests. helped me grow in confidence, work out what worked/didn't work and I found that teaching an able bodied rider is so much easier after teaching someone with a disability.