Pulled tails - Tail Rakes?

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Wilby's off showing again next week (Lincolnshire, on the Wednesday in the RoR flat class, if anyone fancies a laugh :p), but I really need to sort out his tail beforehand!

After last year's attempt at pulling it, which resulted in my metacarpal ending up in my arm, and 7 weeks in plaster, I really don't fancy doing that again. Someone recommended trying a tail rake, but do these hurt the horse? He is really sensitive about his tail.

Twitching isn't an option (no one to hold it), nor is leg holding - as a last resort I could sedate him, but then I'd have to go and get some anyway, and it seems a bit extreme to sedate him for it...

Think there may be one last chocolate orange cupcake left if anyone can help!

coloredred

Visit site
I managed to get a good result with a tail rake once but it took a few days. After that the hairs didn't seem to catch in it properly so I couldn't keep on top of it until it got to the horrible bog brush stage. Never managed to get it looking so good again either, even after letting it grow out first. It might work better on something that isn't a thick cob tail though.

ellie_e

Visit site
I use a tail rake and love it! Make sure you use the correct blade though as they come in different thickness ( depending how course/thick the tail is)

nullarbor

Visit site
Personally I dont like the look of a tail raked tail so always pull. Mine hates it too so I either twitch her and tuck the end of the twitch into the headcollar so nobody has to hold it! Or i sedate her to do it. I make sure it is very well pulled and then dont have to redo it very often

LadyRascasse

Visit site
I always use a tail rake and have always been happy with the results. But I don't show. Every horse I have used it on have been fine with it but like everything they are all different.

Jack before

and after

he is holding his tail at a funny angle its not my raking ;)

Lolo

Visit site
We rake Reg's tail, because we're more likely to be allowed to amputate it than pull it!

It looks good, and we use the £5 hair rakes from Boots rather than the expensive ones.

star

Visit site
I rake Monty's but then I also use the trimmers on it backwards away from the direction of hair growth just to keep it really neat.

FreyaB

Visit site
I always use a tail rake and have always been happy with the results. But I don't show. Every horse I have used it on have been fine with it but like everything they are all different.

Jack before

and after

he is holding his tail at a funny angle its not my raking ;)

Ooh, his looks so smart! Which tail rake do you use? :)

horsesforcourses

Visit site
I use to use the rake, but now use Whal hair timers, which I find much easier. They come with plastic combs so I. Use no.8 for the middle section, no.2 around the side and then just the bare blades closest to the cheeks. Looks good to me, but then I do not straight showing,

Hollywood

Visit site
I use a tail rake - I know showing people frown on this, but why would anyone want to have to sedate or twitch a horse just to pull its mane or tail to make it look presentable is beyond me, when there is a more humane alternative.

humblepie

Visit site
Must admit as was only doing a one off show with my old horse this year that I plaited his tail. Very incorrect for showing but didn't stop him being pulled in second in ROR qualifier. He wasn't the only one either plaited. In previous years have tail raked and has looked okay though nowhere as good as when pulled by a pro in the past.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Thanks for all your input guys; I called in to get a rake on my way home today - supposedly pain free, good for sensitive horses, or so it said on the packet.

Tried it on him, did two strokes and then his ears came back, tail swishing, quarters swinging away etc. :( Guess he is just super sensitive and I am not prepared to risk another trip to A&E... Will just go for a wet tail bandage and hope for the best :eek:

HumblePie: Unfortunately I am terrible at plaiting tails :eek: Might have a go though, if it works it works, and if it doesn't then oh well!

Lolo

Visit site
Have you tried gelling as well as wetting before putting the tail bandage on? Get the tail wet, then body brush gel through the sides- should result in a relatively neat look...

Charmin

Visit site
I once had a very very sensitive tailed mare once, she had to be put on the trailer then bandaged whilst on there as she lashed out. We used to -whispers- put the clippers on it :eek:

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Have you tried gelling as well as wetting before putting the tail bandage on? Get the tail wet, then body brush gel through the sides- should result in a relatively neat look...

Hadn't thought of hair gel! Might give it a go, here's hoping that he doesn't end up looking like an extra out of Grease Lightening though :p

Charmin: He's not bad to brush it, bandage it etc. Plus is the sweetest horse going - so I think pulling it just really hurts him :( Clippers might be worth a try, but probably need a practice go when we are not showing, for when I make a complete pigs ear of it!

star

Visit site
Trimmers work really well. Just go lightly against the lie of the hair down the sides - shortening rather than shaving. Has good effect and no pain. Will try and take pic of mine.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I use a Smart Tails one with the finest blade. I personally don't like pulling a horses tail (because it clearly hurts!) so I only use this on the horse I show. It neatens it, but of course won't be quite as neat as a pulled tail. But I find its acceptable enough (unless of course you're aiming for HOYS!). You just have to make sure to dampen it in the morning of the show and keep a tail bandage on until you're ready to go in, but then you'd normally do that with a pulled tail too.

Lolo - Hijacking, but good idea with the gel, I'm going to try that for my show tomorrow!

Lyle

Visit site
Have you considered using clippers/trimmers? That's how it's done in Aus, it's pretty uncommon to pull tails! You can use the trimmers to clip the sides of the tail, don't touch the top though!

EllieK

Visit site
I use scissors and the disposable razor thingies to get the pulled tail look as I've another that won't 'do' pulling... and I show... although it is maintained all year round so possibly easier to do as its always just a case of tidying up.

Horse*

Visit site
I really like mine, use it all the time. This is the best photo I could find of his tail pulled with it
482593_10150610625116892_143528014_n.jpg

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Trimmers work really well. Just go lightly against the lie of the hair down the sides - shortening rather than shaving. Has good effect and no pain. Will try and take pic of mine.

If you could get a pic that would be grand! Debating whether I dare attempt using the trimmers on it before Lincolnshire :eek:

Horse*

Visit site
Have you considered using clippers/trimmers? That's how it's done in Aus, it's pretty uncommon to pull tails! You can use the trimmers to clip the sides of the tail, don't touch the top though!

Does this give your horse split ends? Sounds stupid I know but my horse had his done this way before I bought him and he had the worst split ends :eek:

Lyle

Visit site
Does this give your horse split ends? Sounds stupid I know but my horse had his done this way before I bought him and he had the worst split ends :eek:

Can't say I've noticed! But then I would clip it quite regularly, so that would keep the ends neat!