Purchase deal breakers, what are yours?

Fransurrey

Visit site
I have to have a good feeling about the vendor. If I don't trust them I won't buy.
This. I'm looking at the moment and asked one vendor if the horse was open to vetting and would they be willing to authorise disclosure of veterinary notes. Didn't get a response. They were rather chatty before that by message, but despite me offering to call and giving my number, they never gave me theirs. Haven't bothered chasing them...

On the other hand I'm dealing with lovely couple and havinga second viewing today. If I don't like someone, they don't get my money. Simples.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Bad temperament (bolshy/ rude is fine but it has to be a kind horse) and a horse that cant do stuff on its own or be left on its own. Life is way too short to have a horse with no self preservation or independence!

I brought a horse for peanuts who had failed a vetting and was quiet badly lamed by the vet on a flexion test. Failure was a stifle issue ... a complicated joint, horse was 6, very low mileage and green as grass and hadn't been in consistent work and was started at five....... Horse of a lifetime, thinks its a 1* eventer (its not but who am i to argue with that great attitude to life) and never shown a days lameness in its life since :D

OP I really do think you are cutting your nose off despite your face by not looking at the older horses. Teenage horses are not old on any level, especially nowadays. I heard the youngest horse going round Burghley last year was 17!!

Last edited:

J&S

Visit site
Recently I was looking for a companion pony/light hack. I particularly wanted an NF. Saw one advertised for long loan, he was really quite well bred, looked nice and chunky. Organised a visit (well over 100 miles away!) The place not quite what I had imagined! About 100 yds away from the M5, traffic was deafening, pony was really badly behaved to groom, do feet etc but I thought one could improve on that!
I saw him being ridden and he did look a bit nappy but when I got on him he actually was a nice forward ride. I took him out and around and came back past his own yard, no problem, past barking dogs, no problem, off up a lane and we came to a field with a horse and small pony in it. He literally tried to climb over the gate to get to them!! I was totally unable to get him away from this situation. Eventually the owner came to find me! Phew! It took 5 of us to get him home. One rider, one on each side of his bridle and one behind with a very big whip. This was when I said I wasn't going to have him!! A definite deal breaker.

spacefaer

Visit site
I won't buy any horse that has an issue that might affect potential future re-sale or with anything wrong that would be an insurance exclusion, so no sarcoids, dodgy veterinary history, weaving, windsucking or cribbing.

Bad loaders don't worry me - although collecting the new purchase might be interesting.
Won't have a horse that naps, bucks or rears.
But if I was looking at that price range, I would accept that there will be SOMETHING wrong......

SportsmanB - the UK is more paranoid than Ireland about sarcoids because insurance companies won't cover them, and they're expensive to treat if they go wrong. I suspect more people insure horses in the UK than Ireland

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Anything with PSSM or that the vendor says has tied up more than once.
Bad feet - if I"m buying the horse, its feet need to be good from the start.
Anything with spavin or sacroiliac issues

Buckers/bolters/rearers.

pippixox

Visit site
‘Napping’ is a very wide term. Even my saint will technically occasionally nap a tiny bit.
My mare also has reared- when I first had her out of fear after being mistreated and then later as a form of napping. But soon got past it and has gone on to do riding club and sponsored rides.

Unless it is a clear behaviour when trying them out, what’s to say they won’t bolt for the first time ever when you have them?!

I would not get a horse with early onset arthritis or OCD: know too many early field ornaments or PTS from it.

But actually there isn’t many things that would be a certain deal breaker. Horses are so individual and a great personality can out weight the risk of something like a sarcoid.

If you have a limited budget I would up the age. I have a 16 year old mare, who has very low mileage and is currently not in much work due to me having a baby, but is an all rounder when in work. If she were for sale her price would be quite low due to lack of recent work and her age, but I hope she will be hacking out for another decade!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
For me the "no-go" areas start when I arrive and actually see the horse: if I don't like its eye I walk straight away and don't look back.

However, if I DO like the horse, then I'd be a tad iffy/no-no about the following:

Any huge conformational fault i.e. head not set on right, cow-hocks, dishing etc. If I wasn't happy with the feet, I'd not rule it out totally as the issue could be shoeing rather than an inherent difficulty, but I'd deffo want it vetted and/or my farrier to have a look (or take some pictures for him to see). I'd also (as an older rider) not want something that is too wide, tho' having said that I've somehow managed to get TWO who're bum-high, one of which is a tubby little coblet (how TF did I do that??).

Anything like windsucking or cribbing. No no!! No way.

I'd be chary of anything that's had laminitis in the past.

Also would avoid a sweet itch horse (having had one - my old boy). Yes he WAS manageable, but having to have him wrapped up in rugs from top to tail during a hot summer is something I wouldn't want to have to do again, plus endlessly watching him (and changing rugs if needed) if a midge happened to fly past........

Behavioural: I couldn't cope with a rearer or bolter. Bucking, hmmmm....... nope. If my horse starts it then I'd instigate the usual checks i.e. vet, teeth, physio, saddle, but no way am I gonna take on someone else's problem.

Loading: hmmm... possibly, as this is sortable with the right professional help (which I have access to).

Napping or "won't go solo". My old boy did both of these, and, with professional help, we sorted it, so I would ask questions and try and establish what's gone on if this was a question mark.

Whatever the "dealbreaking" issue is, I'd ask questions and find out what's really going on. For example, I bought a nice little mare last autumn who I'd been told had "bolted off down the road" with a loaner as she hadn't liked the look of a tractor and trailer, plus at the same time the saddle slipped, plus at the same time there was a helicopter overhead!! Now, if anyone had asked me, I'd have said "not 100% in traffic" would have been a real no-no, but I felt she was worth a look and I went along and asked some questions. She'd done RDA and was a nice little mare, and having gone to see her I felt she was worth a punt as a winter project, had the feeling that if I walked away I might just regret it. First thing we did was get the physio out as she was obviously unlevel, and then rested her. She's been ridden lightly since, have met all sorts of traffic and she's gone right past a JCB digging a hole! Plus we live in the flightpath of a regional airport so know aircraft isn't an issue for her! Touch-wood she's turning out into a really nice little mare, tho' at 7 she's very green, more so than my 5yo TBH.

What I'm saying is that sometimes if you see a horse that sparkles for you and pulls your strings, you've got to ask the right questions, get as much information as you can, but still have to take the leap of faith and just take a punt.........

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
As I'm on a pretty tight budget alot of the horses I'm looking at have one issue or another and I wondered what people would consider to be deal breakers?
A selection of the things I've come across are:
* Sarcoids...so many horses with these!!
* Mild OCD (young heavy breed horse)
* Arthritic changes in hock (8 year old )
* Rising 6 yr old backed then turned away, not done anything since? Supposedly lack of time
* Post OP surgery for OCD

Any thoughts? Anything else that would make you walk?
I'm looking for a happy hacker to do the odd fun ride and some jumping, maybe x country but nothing competitive.

all those and tying up and I am a happy hacker. I'd not go near anything with arthritis/OCD in a heavier younger horse unless I had a lot of money to spend/waste down the line. Unless with the rising 6yo you are totally confident you can overcome any ballsups in its prior education as I guess if you are on a budget you couldn't afford to pay for such. thats not to say backed and left in the field for lack of time doesn't happen, but if people want to ride a horse they'll ride it imo.

try looking for something older with a good vet history with a tight budget. there are low mileage horses out there although you could be buying some issues.

honestly, I would keep saving and get a free share in the meantime. You might find a reasonable Fell or something with that sort of budget but you actually want what the majority of the riding population wants and chances are you'll not buy it without issues at that price.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I would be put off by bad loaders, horses that won’t stable well, stressy horses, ones that get stupidly attached to others and that can’t be alone for 5 seconds without melting down. Also wouldn’t fancy one that won’t hack alone. Oh and marish mares. All of these stem from bad experiences I don’t wish to repeat.
hahahahaaha you have described my most advanced competition horse right there.
I love her *dearly*.
In fairness, I didn't sign up for all that baggage, it kind of made itself known as we went along but as she's the one that got me into top hat and tails I will forgive her anything.

I haven't had a horse vetted since my first pony 27 years ago so at the bin end of the market my dealbreakers are
looks lame
badly put together
looks ill
older horses.

My husband is a farrier, if he thinks the feet will come right I trust him and the last one I bought had mismatched feet that now look textbook. I won't have an older horse unless it's already highly established (unlikely at my budget) because training up the levels takes a long time, and it's just too sad when they have to retire.
I have learnt that behavioural issues can be improved or accommodated if you like the horse enough, are persistent and patient.
at the lower end of the price scale you have to make compromises quite a bit :)

exracehorse

Visit site
My second to last horse had a sarcoid when I bought him. But, I fell in love with him over the stable door and was a dream to ride. Hate horses that are too narrow in front. With pony strides. And won’t hack solo. Also, I look very hard to see if their back end looks sound ie no toe dragging. As I’ve learnt my lesson with an ex racer who went onto develop bone spavins and slipping stifles. My latest horse was not what I was looking for. I didn’t want a gelding. Or a grey. Or smaller than 16.2. He’s all of the above and only a 16 hands with shoes AND a trotter. BUT, he’s amazing. And a superstar to hack out by himself.

chaps89

Visit site
Mine would be health issues.
A tendon injury fully rehabbed with the horse back in a good level of work for a sustained period of work - fine. Something laminitic/metabolic, sarcoids, lame, arthritic? No siree!
I'd keep saving what you would otherwise be spending on running the horse to increase the budget.
I've bought 2 bargain basement ponies and been involved in the buying of 3 others in recent times.
Of those:
1) Bought in poor condition (had been out on a loan that went wrong and owner had no time for him so had to retrieve him but then sell on) He was too much for me once in full health and work and it took a long time to get to grips with him! He did turn into my horse of a lifetime though and I'd still say he's the best £700 I ever spent.
2) Almost 5 year old, potted history, essentially bought from the field as super safe but very green. She went lame within 6 weeks of buying her (just unfortunate bad luck - i knew of and trusted the seller so dont believe she hid anything but thaat it may well have been her previous owners whose management was now causing us headaches. The reality is well never know though) and spent the next 2 year's out of work more than in work and has only really come good with a very good instructor helping us consistently as she had some very bad habits from her early breaking hanging around. I love her to bits now and she's cracking but it's been hard work.
3) From a (known to us) dealers bargain basement - i was working on the yard at the time when he came in as a pity buy in poor shape. He came good until a freak accident 2 years into ownership, so he was a sales success story.
4) NF pony bought unbroken. He got sold to a meat man who also happened to do a bit of driving - if pony took to driving they would keep him, if not then it was curtains. (He had a mean bronc which we couldn't get to the bottom of - he had vet investigations and spent 3 months with a pro)
5) Replacement pony for the above - recently broken 4 year old who was quiet and easy when at a pros yard. Pony turned out to be a bit much for her owner who had a confidence crisis. She'd had young horses before but not in some time and had had a traumatic loss of her previous horse/s so it was a bad idea buying her with hindsight but none of us realised the extent of the damage to the owners confidence when she bought her.

I've learnt alot from the above! So it's definitely worth bearing in mind your skill set, confidence levels and support network when deciding where your compromise lies. A horse who is in poor shape may be very different once fattened up and given some TLC, are you equipped to deal with that. Equally a horse who has sweet itch might be an easier compromise if you don't live in midge land and don't mind spending on boett rugs etc
Only you know really what you can compromise on :)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thanks to all that have replied.
I do have a horse on loan currently who is due to go back to her owners, they've agreed for her to stay until I find another as they're not in a rush.
As per a comment above I will venture into a look at older horses, I'm just wary as the only much older horse I bought broke down and had to be PTS just over 6 months from purchase :(
I guess the age is not so important to me as the height.
I'm aware that within my budget I'm not going to get "perfect", I'm just wondering which are the lesser of the evils so to speak :)

Last edited:

scruffyponies

Visit site
I won't have anything I can't catch, or with a history of fence breaking.
The very minimum I expect from a pony is for it to be where I left it, and make itself available.

Reactions: J&S

windand rain

Visit site
Biggest deal breaker is a horse I dont like its personality when we meet. I like my horses to physical appeal (shallow I know) and to be pleasant to handle I keep ponies to keep me fit and well and go to the odd show so these are vital. Blemishes that affect their showing and or prospect of work would also be a no. So health and confomation are very important and may well be deal breakers but it I simply didnt like the horse I wouldnt buy it

eahotson

Visit site
As I'm on a pretty tight budget alot of the horses I'm looking at have one issue or another and I wondered what people would consider to be deal breakers?
A selection of the things I've come across are:
* Sarcoids...so many horses with these!!
* Mild OCD (young heavy breed horse)
* Arthritic changes in hock (8 year old )
* Rising 6 yr old backed then turned away, not done anything since? Supposedly lack of time
* Post OP surgery for OCD

Any thoughts? Anything else that would make you walk?
I'm looking for a happy hacker to do the odd fun ride and some jumping, maybe x country but nothing competitive.
I knew someone who bought a mare with sarcoids and never regretted it.She said that mare had taken her to places where she would never have got with another horse and the sarcoids did not trouble the mare.She may just have been lucky of course.I have a welsh cob that has had treatment for mild arthritis in his hocks,it was expensive but he has been back in work for at least 5 years and does a little bit of everything.It was picked up early and it was mild.I expect it depends on your personal experiences really.I would try and find the money for a really good veterinary exam prior to purchase.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Thank you, I've sent them a message :)
This is really my upper age limit as I'd rather but unbroken than something much older. This girl sounds great :)
just noticed that you have messaged them, wouldnt it be better to phone. then you could get all the info and make a decision whether to view. with your budget and wanting a big horse with a good temperament i think you will struggle to find anything not in their teens, and many older horses can have less problems than younger ones as we have seen by some of the awful problems some of the hho ers have had younger horses who have broken completely....good luck

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I would have a look at the 6 yr old but none of the others. Horses can bring you enough trouble without buying it along with them.

That is probably true with one proviso - your budget! If you want a PERFECT horse - even a perfect happy hacker and you don't care much about size, sex and colour - it might cost you £2,000 or it might be well worth £4,000 or more. It also needs other things to be taken into account the likelihood you can 'fix' any problem - do you have the capability and what is the 'risk'. How FAST do you want it to be 'perfect' for what you want to do. And age - how long does the perfect horse need to last - do you want it NOW - for 3 years before it retired, or NOW - and for at LEAST 10 years. Budget will depend on ALL of these - and luck! And availability - after all, everyone wants the near perfect horse that only has trivial problems tat ca be fixed fast - and cheap. They are like Hen's teeth!