Pure Feed

WelshHoarder

Visit site
All mine did really well on Pure last winter, have just managed to grab a sack of Fibre Balance for little Welshie who’s still on a diet, which should do her for ages but have had to swap around the babies and old lad. I hope this isn’t the end of them, I liked the concept of their feeds, and they were a good price with free delivery from one of my local feed stores.

Dru

Visit site
I fed Winergy growth for 2 years based on Spillers' nutritionist's advice as it's ulcer friendly. From memory it's a balanced feed comprised mostly of alfa-a in chop and nut form with an oil coating. For my big horse a 20kg bag was meant to last 5 days so you are constantly needing new ones. Only stopped feeding it as got a nutritionist out to see her.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I fed Winergy growth for 2 years based on Spillers' nutritionist's advice as it's ulcer friendly. From memory it's a balanced feed comprised mostly of alfa-a in chop and nut form with an oil coating. For my big horse a 20kg bag was meant to last 5 days so you are constantly needing new ones. Only stopped feeding it as got a nutritionist out to see her.
Thanks for the detail, I'd not use it then as one of mine can't take even a sniff of alfalfa.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Darn. MrT has been doing so well on Pure. I'm currently trying The Beast on something else though so I guess I'll try it for MrT too.

chaps89

Visit site
Thanks for the detail, I'd not use it then as one of mine can't take even a sniff of alfalfa.
A lot of them have alfalfa in :(
I’ve been using speedibeet and honeychop lite and healthy - it’s just not tasty enough to hide meds in but is alfalfa free so maybe an option?
The Toospec high fibre mash is alfalfa free if that might be another option

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Mollichaff light molasses free was another option I found when looking at Pure Feeds in the first place. I think I'm going to go onto that and add a balancer/vits&mins... And just extra grass nuts/grass chaff to make it tasty enough if need be.

Fransurrey

Visit site
What a shame :(

I’ve found somewhere local with what I need in stock, I’m now dithering between buying some for the fussy one whilst it’s there or wondering if I’m delaying the inevitable so might as well just pick a new feed now ?
Same here. I think Pure Feed is a really good one, so not relishing trying to find another. I've fed the Easy version during summer and conditioning in winter since they came out and it's worked beautifully. Gah! Really hope a buyer comes forward.

Nicnac

Visit site
Oh that is so sad. Been on it for 10 years or so and love that I can chop and change between their feeds as all the same base and that the balancer is included. Looked at Simple Systems but they are extortionately expensive and mostly Lucerne which is just Alfalfa under a posh name.

Apparently Pure were in talks with a potential buyer but guess it didn't work out. I managed to grab 4 bags of Fibre Balance and still have some Easy in stock but not sure what I'm going to do. Go back to straights maybe?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I am guessing the £500k of debt at start of year before all the inflation and energy hit would have been hugely problematic

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Oh that is so sad. Been on it for 10 years or so and love that I can chop and change between their feeds as all the same base and that the balancer is included. Looked at Simple Systems but they are extortionately expensive and mostly Lucerne which is just Alfalfa under a posh name.

Apparently Pure were in talks with a potential buyer but guess it didn't work out. I managed to grab 4 bags of Fibre Balance and still have some Easy in stock but not sure what I'm going to do. Go back to straights maybe?
I've been recommended to look at Allen and Page and also Honeychop, the Honeychop Lite and Healthy might work with adding some nuts of some sort with it, still investigating further tho.

rextherobber

Visit site
They have to put it on the bag, the website is optional.

Not very handy when all my local stockists drag it up from stores for you...
What a shame :(

I’ve found somewhere local with what I need in stock, I’m now dithering between buying some for the fussy one whilst it’s there or wondering if I’m delaying the inevitable so might as well just pick a new feed now ?
Do you mind if I ask where you managed to find some? I'm possibly not a million miles away and would prefer not to switch feed right now as have some possibly stressful times in the next few weeks...

ihatework

Visit site
I stuck to grabbing the last 3 bags which will last a while, so I'll need to find a suitable replacement by mid Feb, Winergy is looking possible but I'm going to try and get samples 1st.

Winergy is good (I like the growth) but is Alfa rather than grass based.

One little known feed is the zero range from Castle - it’s a grass based feed and good quality - I’ve used the zero mix (they also do a diet version).

The problem is getting hold of it because it’s not available nationwide
https://castlehorsefeeds.com/our-feeds/smart-zero-range/

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site

One little known feed is the zero range from Castle - it’s a grass based feed and good quality - I’ve used the zero mix (they also do a diet version).

Thank you, seems my nearest supplier is nearly 60 miles away.
I might just have a word with my local feed merchant though, they do take on new suppliers - and will have a gap where Pure were....

rextherobber

Visit site

This looks good! My nearest stockist is 70 miles away though...

chaps89

Visit site
Not very handy when all my local stockists drag it up from stores for you...

Do you mind if I ask where you managed to find some? I'm possibly not a million miles away and would prefer not to switch feed right now as have some possibly stressful times in the next few weeks...
Muddy Paws in South Elkington had some over the weekend when I went in for a bag

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Heard that although first buyer fell through there is another potential buyer so all not lost yet! Fingers crossed.
Even though the debt burden will be wiped out by being in administration, the fact the company still was £500k in the red in Jan would be a serious red light for anyone wanting to take over a company. This is before all the energy issues etc I am just not convinced it will be back.

Fransurrey

Visit site
There is a new owner in place ,but due to retailers buying all current stock there will be an interruption in supply.

Should Be back to normal next year
Oh I hope this is true! I did buy 4 bags last week (I was due to stock up anyway, but admittedly would normally buy 2). I have a PSSM1 horse and a sweet itch pony, so finding a feed to suit both is a bloomin nightmare!

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Posted on the Pure Feed facebook page 10 mins ago:

We’re delighted to let you know that we’ve had confirmation today that supplies of most Pure Feed products are scheduled to resume shortly! The business was acquired on Friday by the Directors of Parakore Limited.

We fully appreciate that it has been incredibly frustrating that we’ve not been able to communicate this with you before now as we have been bound by very strict confidentiality rules imposed upon us by the administrator.
We’ve been assured by the new owners that production arrangements are in place already and they are planning to continue producing the same recipes to the same high quality everyone has come to expect, with the focus remaining on industry-leading equine nutrition.

As soon as we have further news of when supplies are due to be delivered, we will let you know.

Just edited to add Companies house info I found, new company
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/14475098/officers

Last edited:

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Any further recommendations for pure feeds? Particularly pure easy? Really looking for a chaff based feed that is tasty with added vits and minerals for ease and this seems to tick the boxes. Need low energy!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Any further recommendations for pure feeds? Particularly pure easy? Really looking for a chaff based feed that is tasty with added vits and minerals for ease and this seems to tick the boxes. Need low energy!
Well, I'm still feeding it, if that's any help? I moved away to Mollichop when the prices went silly, but have gone back to Pure, as I was having to add to the feed. Particularly as I now have to add meds to feeds, I really needed the all-in-one option. I use Pure Condition in the winter, and will switch back to Easy in the spring.

rextherobber

Visit site
If you need low energy. you might find the Pure fibre balance does better than Easy. My ISH is in medium work and pretty fit and I swapped from Easy to Fibre Balance and it was fine.

Nicnac

Visit site
After 10 years with Pure I switched to Simple Systems when all the supply issues occurred with Pure when they changed ownership. My horses hated Simple Systems and refused to eat it so am back on Pure. The beauty is that you can switch between the Pure feeds as the base is the same.

Try Fibre Balance but find mine (big ISH's) have more stamina with Pure Easy to which I add Working if they need a bit more condition or energy. Fibre Balance was fine during summer when on grass 24/7 (muzzled!) and one feed a day to ensure they had a balancer but they need a bit more in the winter.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
After 10 years with Pure I switched to Simple Systems when all the supply issues occurred with Pure when they changed ownership. My horses hated Simple Systems and refused to eat it so am back on Pure. The beauty is that you can switch between the Pure feeds as the base is the same.

Try Fibre Balance but find mine (big ISH's) have more stamina with Pure Easy to which I add Working if they need a bit more condition or energy. Fibre Balance was fine during summer when on grass 24/7 (muzzled!) and one feed a day to ensure they had a balancer but they need a bit more in the winter.
Oh that’s interesting I would have thought the easy was less energy based on the website! We definitely want low energy for our ISH pony that is in light work!

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Funnily enough I did an online recommendation based on the pony’s workload, energy levels etc and Pure also recommended Pure Fibre Balance! So I’ll try that I think and see how we go x