Putting a horse down for dangerous behavior.

Equi

Visit site
If the ulcers are an ongoing thing not likely to get better despite treatment and are causing the issues then yes you are being responsible. Hope everything is smooth.

limestonelil

Visit site
What a hard decision you had to make after all the time and effort and emotion you must have gone through over the past four years. Hugs to you and remember to be kind to yourself at a difficult time.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
sounds like your at the end of the road emotionally and physically, you tried so long and so hard and shy of turning him out wild in Arizona you cannot rehome him to anyone of fear they get injured or someone else. Don't feel guilty at all you have done all you can, not knowing the history of ulcers as it is private, it seems Teddy has some emotional issues and behavioral issues which us humans, can not understand. It seems the kindest thing to relieve him of this pain/emotions is to pts.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
You are absoloutly doing the right thing for him. It sounds like you have tried to do everything you can for him and he is such a lucky boy to have such a caring sensible owner.
Dont think of it as putting him to sleep. Think of it as setting him free. No more pain for him. Only peace.
Massive hugs for you OP. Be good to yourself during this time. We are all here if you need us xxx

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Thank you all so much. Am in a bit of a tiz so won't put much.
He's gone, at 1 pm today. Am feeling awful as I feel so relieved that he's gone, please some tell me this is O.K. I loved him so much, he has left a huge hole.
Thank you all for your support x

crabbymare

Visit site
normally relief is not that the horse has gone its the knowledge that they are no longer in pain and that the stress of knowing what needed to be done is over. be good to yourself

alibali

Visit site
Of course its ok to feel relieved, it is the feeling you get when you have done something you know was right but you didn't want to do - you are relieved you found the strength to do it.

You will probably also be relieved to no longer have the constant worry of what if he hurts someone and finally perhaps relieved to no longer have the stress and worry of trying to find the answer to 'fix' him which perhaps could never be found.

All these are very valid reasons to feel relief, they don't mean that you are happy that things turned out as they did. Be kind to yourself op it sounds like you need to cut yourself some slack :)

Clare85

Visit site
Hope you are ok OP. IMO, you have made the most sensible and responsible decision for you and for Teddy. It must've been a terribly hard road to this point and a very difficult decision to make. You have my sympathy, I'm so sorry. Hugs xx

twiggy2

Visit site
Have a huge HUG

I have felt relief when each of my animals have gone, the organising and build up is immense and especially when it is something that you have struggled with and can doubt.

We had no choice with my daughters mare but the relief was huge as it meant no more suffering for her or second guessing for us.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
He's gone, at 1 pm today. Am feeling awful as I feel so relieved that he's gone, please some tell me this is O.K. I loved him so much, he has left a huge hole.

You did what was right for you, him and your situation.
Please don't have too many regrets as to what might have been, instead grab the release of the worry you have had. Well done for being so brave xx

Dollysox

Visit site
It is sometimes very hard to do the right thing. You have done it, and it will feel rubbish for a while. That is only natural, but try to remember that you did the best thing for him in the end. Massive hugs from me xxx

coen

Visit site
As this horse is only 5yr old and has been with you since a 3yr old I would be inclined to turn him away for a good six months, get the vet to check him out, sort out his ulcers, let him be a horse for a while and then instead of bringing him back into your routine send him directly to a professional yard for a couple of months to be handled/re-started ect and see how he is following that.

Micropony

Visit site
You've done your best for him, and now you can do no more. He's at peace now and feels no more pain. The stress of looking after an animal when you desperately want to make it all better, but you can't, and the responsibility of making the final decision for them, is immense. To feel relieved when it's finally all over is very natural.
Thinking of you x

misskk88

Visit site
OP, I had my horse put to sleep last week. I can honestly say that whilst the pain is still very raw at the moment, I know long term I made the best decision for her and myself. In a way, whilst it hurts, I do feel relief at not having to worry, not having to toy with the decision, or to ask myself 'when'. Had she displayed dangerous behaviour amongst the reasons, then I would have been even more confident in my decision.

Do not doubt yourself. You are being a very responsible, and unselfish owner by ensuring your horses future, and by also protecting yourself and others safety.

Just to say, I had the vet. I did debate that hunt too, and in the end it came down to gut feeling and what I felt best for her. It was very quick and very peaceful and she had no idea what was happening.

Thoughts are with you. x

fatpiggy

Visit site

I felt relief too, I could see how much my old girl was deteriorating and life was becoming a burden to her. Once it is done, there is nothing left to worry and stress about. It wasn't until a week or so later that I also realised how much caring for her was physically taking out of me, and it was only the daily routine that kept me upright because frankly, I was exhausted. It will be 3 years at the end of this month and the hole is still there but my time is filled by doing things that I had to give up in order to care for her.

xDundryx

Visit site
I had an ex racehorse Pts for this reason. After a lot of money spent investigating with the vet, a farrier who was double-barrelled, friend who got badly bitten, 3 stays in hospital for me, inc fractured eye socket and the final being a dislocated shoulder and permanent nerve damage where de dragged me round the stable by my arm...the vet and myself agreed. When you were in the saddle he was a star, out of it he would switch from Jekyll to Hyde in a nano second with no warning. Once I was walking out of the field after poo picking and he came at me for no reason bit then tried to double barrel me, he ended up having a muzzle fitted to his headcollar . I eventually spoke to his old stable lass who said everyone had bite 'tattoos' from him including the trainer when the horse had grabbed him on the back of the neck. When it comes to you against 600kg of animal intent on doing damage a line has to be drawn. I got some stick however no way was I going to pass on a horse with those issues masked by sedative we think the couple of times I tried him and picked him up. Someone could get killed I was lucky it wasn't me. X

ladyt25

Visit site

So sorry to hear this as must be soo hard having had him for so long. However, as others said - horses are not dangerous/aggressive as there is always an underlying cause and your horse did not sound like he was happy or enjoying life and he was 'telling' you this in the only way he knew.

I have had my 'youngster' (now 6) since he was 15mths and, although not aggressive he reacted violently and unpredictably with a saddle a few months after we gently backed him. he was terrified of having a saddle on and despite people telling me he just needed to "get on with it" I knew there was something not right. Turned out he had damaged the ligaments in his spine

Two years on after treatment and me sending him away to a professional I am slowly starting to ride him and get my confidence that he's no longer in pain. However, it could have ended differently. They can't tell us what is wrong so we can only do what is within our power.

It is not fair on the animal to be suffering either mentally or physically and in your case he was clearly just not a happy boy. So sorry but he is not suffering anymore and you don't have the worry about what he's going to do next.

I think you have been very brave as it's not an easy decision to make and I think it's even more difficult with a younger horse somehow.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
He's gone, at 1 pm today. Am feeling awful as I feel so relieved that he's gone,
please some tell me this is O.K. I loved him so much, he has left a huge hole.

Feeling relieved shows how right your decision was. It's ok to feel this way and it's ok to feel awful too, because everyone feels awful whenever they have any animal pts, it's the flip side of animal ownership. You have behaved responsibly, let the relief flood through you.

ozpoz

Visit site
Feeling relieved shows how right your decision was. It's ok to feel this way and it's ok to feel awful too, because everyone feels awful whenever they have any animal pts, it's the flip side of animal ownership. You have behaved responsibly, let the relief flood through you.
Absolutely this. So sorry for all you have been through. x

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Thank you everyone. It's what Teddy wanted, he was ready. It must have been so miserable being so confused all the time and I should think he was in pain too. He was my little ray of sunshine and I'm glad I got the pleasure of knowing him and that I made the best decision when the time came.
Thank you all again so much x

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Thank you everyone. It's what Teddy wanted, he was ready. It must have been so miserable being so confused all the time and I should think he was in pain too. He was my little ray of sunshine and I'm glad I got the pleasure of knowing him and that I made the best decision when the time came.
Thank you all again so much x

Remember he was lucky to have you as an owner. He had the best care throughout his life, his circumstances were beyond your or anyone else's control.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I know it is hard EE but remember you tried everything, and you would never have lived with yourself had you kept him and he really hurt himself beyond help or he had fatally or badly injured someone. He is at piece now, his pain and discomfort is over, think of him in a good way it was not his fault it was a tragic twist in his life.

Keep thinking you did your best and take each day as it comes. Ciber hugs coming your way

skybabe

Visit site
I'm going through a similar situation with my 17.2hh mare. She is dangerous to turn out, some days be good and others without warning will bolt off even a chifney or bridle won't hold her and some days we just have to leave her grazing with the bridle on as she won't be caught.

she is lame at the moment and has kissing spine, and over the 5 years I have had her, she has been lame a lot with investigations of MRI, ultra sound, x ray, nerve blocks etc, no diagnosis.

she has been turned away and now is very difficult to catch to bring in.

so now I'm making the decision if PTS is the kindest option to put this made at peace. its bloody difficult but I don't see I have any other option xx

I hope you managed to sort your boy & you are OK xxx