Q for YOs and liveries...

SO1

Visit site
Difficult as Livery A is getting a good deal at the moment.

TBH who wouldn't want the biggest box they could get for their pony or horse. If she is happy with the set up she is not going relish moving to another smaller stable it may not just be about size but location as well.

Does she pay less for the shetlands as they share a stable rather than having their own stable?

I think until livery B actually purchases a new horse that is very big then stay quiet no point upsetting someone unnecessarily, especially if livery A has been a good client for 10 years and everyone else is settled in the stable they have been allocated. The only people that know what conversation was had been Livery A and Livery B and there may have been a misunderstanding. If you do decide to move Livery A to a smaller stable I would offer to help her with the move as much as possible so it is as easy as practically possible.

I have a 13.3 pony who takes a 6ft rug my vet described him as having the body of a 16h horse on short legs! He is in a 12 x 12 stable which is the standard size stable at the yard I am on, and I would not want him in anything smaller than that. The big corner stables have large horses in. My stable is in a very good position it is near the tack room and near the school and in the block where the horses face each other and my pony has quite a few of his field mates in the same block so it is nice for them to be together. It was just luck that I got that stable and I like where it is as that was the first one that became available. My pony also likes it as well. Normally on yards I have been on it is just luck and people chose from what is available when they join the yard and then if someone leaves and a better stable or one they prefer comes up someone might change stables.

Illusion100

Visit site
Been umming and ahhing about trying to think of an answer and as it turns out, I just don't have a definitive one as looking at it from all angles is complicated!

If I was livery A, after 10 years I'll admit, I'd see those stables as my horses 'homes'. It wouldn't really be about the size of the stable necessarily but the familiarity and routine of them. I also think that Livery A has had great luck to have such large stables next to each other for all of those years and as it's not as if her horse is required to move to a tiny, dark damp stable that is not up to par, so in reality, it's not a huge deal. However, after 10 years of being a loyal livery, I can see why the change would be something that makes her very uncomfortable particularly as the potential purchase of this new horse isn't her doing so technically 'not her problem'.

Livery B has more horses and looking to add another. She may feel that she therefore is more important to you financially and after all Livery A's horses don't NEED stables that large, it's common sense to swop stables and really can't see what the problem is. She may feel Livery A is being selfish and unfair to see a larger horse in a smaller stable just so she can have her own way. Livery B is just as entitled to buy a horse and have it suitably accommodated, same as Livery A. Livery A might feel that Livery B expects people to bend over backwards when she clicks her fingers.

You are stuck in the middle and I don't envy you. I wouldn't want to be upsetting either livery as I feel they both have valid POV and I really think that if you unwillingly have Livery A give up one of her stables for Livery B's new purchase a lot of ill feeling will be created and I'm confident that someone would leave and you'll get the blame, simply because you just aren't going to win with this one.

So, for now, I'd move your horse to accommodate Livery B's purchase should it go ahead, let everyone calm down a bit and then hold a yard meeting to discuss the situation and what everyone is willing to do. Have every livery present (even though this doesn't affect others, it will help Livery A and B not to feel singled out) and go from there. People can often be much more obliging and accommodating to come to an amicable solution if they don't feel forced into it.

Also look into contracts, including rules for this such eventuality in future to save yourself some grief, whether actual or hypothetical!

I kept my retired horse and yearling on a working farm/livery. They were kept round the back and a set up was agreed so they could wander out of their section of barn to their adjacent field at will. Really suited both horses. Farmer got a new GF who wanted my field and I realised she was muscling me out to the detriment of my horses welfare. The Farmer had always been great to me and he was stuck between pleasing a livery or his new GF, I knew I wouldn't win and I didn't want to cause him grief, so I moved them.

At the new yard, I had a choice of a few stables (none next to each other) and as much of a pain as it was I choose a stable in an American barn for the youngster and a stable in an outdoor row for the older horse at the opposite side of the 30+ yard as this was the best choice for them, not me.

At that time a longstanding livery of 14 years was kicking off like a brat because she had to give up one of her tacksheds (every other livery just had one) for another new livery. Her stuff didn't fill one tackshed never mind two. The problem was she felt ill treated as she'd always had 2 (as one of the longest liverys there), she didn't need both, she just felt entitled to both as she'd had them so long. Anyway, she was just a moron in general and sadly there's no cure for that. :)

At a recent yard, I paid extra for a larger stable. The contract stated the YO would allocate a stable but I was determined to bag a larger one in a certain yard location as I felt this would be most settling for my horse. Yet I paid more for the privilege and in that case if someone bought a larger horse that would be more suited in my stable, I would have been of the 'not my problem' train of thought.

At current yard, I wasn't given a choice of stable but that is irrelevant as the YO had picked a stable that gives my horse the best view of everything on the yard (we'd already discussed problems at previous yard and I'd explained I thought my horse needed to be able to see all the goings on from field/stable), so she went ahead and put him in a box and gave him a paddock with the best views of all activity. He's a very happy camper.

Now that I've waffled on sufficiently, I don't think there is a straightforward answer to your situation but I really hope everything works out for the best. :)

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
She is in an awkward position and probably feels awful having to insist livery a] moves. Livery a] knew the move would be at some point should a potential big horse want to move in. Livery a] is digging their heels in which is unfair since she was told albeit 10 years or 100 years. She should accept yard owners request and move and not cause bad vibes or biotch about it. Hey if she does not like it she knows where the door is. QUOTE]

Yesterday afternoon the OP hadn't spoken to Livery A. Nor had Livery B gone to view the 17.2 horse. Where do you get that Livery A is digging her heels in? And speaking of bitching about it as far as we can tell Livery A hasn't gone on the Internet about the matter.
I will explain a little more simply livery A)is saying
Livery A had said that if she were to buy the horse then she would have to move off as it wouldn't fit in any of her current stables!!

HGA-12 I'm a yard owner, so I am seeing it from both sides. Personally I wouldn't expect a livery to put themselves out so I could accommodate another horse.

But the point is
She was also told at when she got the bigger stable for the 15hh that this was subject to the proviso that no one wants to move on with a 'big' horse who would need a bigger stable. However this conversation was 10 years ago and I think she may have 'forgotten' it.
So it is not like the livery has not been told - I would ask the livery to move down a size and in future OP make sure you have a minimum height on the larger boxes so this does not arise again.

william95

Visit site
Some liveries with smaller horses on my yard have actually asked me to move their horses into smaller stables so that they can save money on bedding so the owner of the 15hh horse may be quite accommodating about moving!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think moving the Shetlands is the easiest solution here, I don't think the yo should have to move her 16.1 horse for another livery when smaller ponies are taking up horse size stables.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I am surprised how small some stables are. When we built ours we had a 14hh pb sectd, her 6 month old foal and a 14.3hh arab. We had three stables built 2 x 12x12 and a 12x16 for mare and foal. I now have a 15.1hh sect d that lives out but if he had to be in I wouldn't be happy keeping him in the smaller stables. He looks huge in them.