Quality of training?

jakeyhorse

Visit site
I recently put my horse.on schooling livery for 2 months. I was unable to find someone local so he went to Kent. Unfortunately due to lockdown I was unable to visit at weekends as intended. I asked for videos and feedback but received very little of either. After 9 weeks I have my horse back and as far as I can see very little has been done. He certainly doesn't seem any fitter or more established. Anything I can do?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
have you spoken to the person you sent them to? did you outline beforehand what you wanted them to work on? I think we need some more information about your horse, what you wanted, the kind of training the person was offering etc.

Leandy

Visit site
Somewhat confused that you just sent a horse away for 9 weeks for training and didn't keep regularly in touch with progress. I get that lockdown has prevented visiting etc. but you didn't receive adequate updates and you just left it until the horse was sent back? If I wasn't satisfied with what was happening I'd have had the horse back a good deal sooner. Communicate properly with the trainer would be the first step. What do they say? I would be asking for before and after videos of what they have done at the very least as a starting point. What were they meant to have done? Have you paid yet?

jakeyhorse

Visit site
Somewhat confused that you just sent a horse away for 9 weeks for training and didn't keep regularly in touch with progress. I get that lockdown has prevented visiting etc. but you didn't receive adequate updates and you just left it until the horse was sent back? If I wasn't satisfied with what was happening I'd have had the horse back a good deal sooner. Communicate properly with the trainer would be the first step. What do they say? I would be asking for before and after videos of what they have done at the very least as a starting point. What were they meant to have done? Have you paid yet?

jakeyhorse

Visit site
As I had agreed to pay up front for training withthe person I knew that's what happened here too So livery was already paid. Contact re payment was re farrier dentist etc. For personal reasons I couldn't take the horse back immediately.
Maybe I have just been naiive, but never previously had been in a situation when I was unable to visit. The horse is fune but may have just as well havexbeen turned away for a couple of months!

Leandy

Visit site
What were you expecting them to have done? What was the arrangement about how frequently they would work the horse and what were they going to do? What does the trainer say they have done?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think it unacceptable of the trainer not to send you videos, pictures and proper updates but I think you really should have expressed that's what you wanted before you left the horse, or at least spoke to them during the time the horse was there about the lack of communication, when my horse was sent away quite far away from me the trainer sent me videos and pictures most days and messaged me every evening to say what they did that day.

jakeyhorse

Visit site
I have a whole chain of communicationn about my expectations. Followed by messages about my disappointment and frustration about lack of feedback. I was really worried about my horse and at one stage thought that I wasn't going to get him back at all. In the end I just wanted him home and it's only now a week later that I also feel angry that he also took my money and as far as I can tell did nothing.

jakeyhorse

Visit site
He finally sent me an email, along with a refund for the rest of the month, claiming he'd been exercised 3/4 times a week. Even his rug had clearly been used on another horse and his feet, despite being charged for shoeing, were ovely long and he was still barefoot. At least my horse is Ok.

Leandy

Visit site
Oh dear, your updates are not good and sounds like a bit of a charlaton. I agree about the small claims court but you are unlikely to recover much I'm afraid. He will be entitled to retain a reasonable cost for livery as that at least was provided. You will need to be very clear that you are claiming for the costs of what has failed to be provided but still charged for eg training fees, shoeing etc. In all honesty it is probably not worth it. I would also be reporting to local trading standards and the police as he appears to be marketing and charging for a service which is not being delivered. If there is no attempt at all to provide it but take the money anyway (as opposed to just being incompetent) then I would be alleging fraud.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have a whole chain of communicationn about my expectations. Followed by messages about my disappointment and frustration about lack of feedback. I was really worried about my horse and at one stage thought that I wasn't going to get him back at all. In the end I just wanted him home and it's only now a week later that I also feel angry that he also took my money and as far as I can tell did nothing.

That's fair enough then I just assumed nothing was discussed as this wasn't mentioned before, I would try and claim some some money back as it is unacceptable practice, but I do think the only way is small claims unless you can come to an agreement between you, are they on social media? You could maybe use that to your advantage.