Question Time.

soloabe

Visit site
So we are looking at getting another medium sized dog and have been looking at crates.

All our dogs have had just the wire crates like this
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753745

Which have been fine. Although OH thinks they have been a bit hard on our flooring and also hard to get in the car if we should need to.

We always get crates that are massive compared to the dog so that they can be in there for a few hours and it not be such a big deal with room for food water and toys ect.

OH was in the pet store yesterday and now thinks we should get one like this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3195394

I thought these were just travel ones.

The one we would get is only about an inch smaller than the wire crate that we would get but i don't know if the dog would feel to enclosed.

OH likes it because he could get it in the car easier, It didn't have bits on the bottom that scratch the flooring and we don't need to put a cover over it.

I would still prefer a wire one i think because dog can see out and we can see what the dog is up to.

We put a cover over them at night because they settle better.

Help guys?
grin.gif

CAYLA

Visit site
The second is a good crate....they are actaully safer and easier to clean, the only reason we use the metal is they are cheaper and they place beside each other better and we can put smaller crates ontop of big for the smaller dogs and they are easier to buy bulk....but I actually prefer the travel type ones
smile.gif

soloabe

Visit site
Ok its looking like the second one is an option then.

They were around the same price in the store, but having only one to buy thats not an issue for us.

We usually take the crates outside once a week and wash them with the car washer hose attachment and i guess i could do the same for the travel one?

And she will be just as comfortable in there for a few hours?
The most we leave them is about 4 hours with plenty of toys ect.

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
I personally think the first ones are better. They are more airy and not so closed in. If you are leaving a dog in for a few hours i wouldn't use the second one. But i am soppy so.......
ETA won't the second one get too hot in the summer? Just thinking ahead
grin.gif

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Edited to add, that just as I pressed "send", I realised that you talked about getting the crate in to the car to take the crate with you and not as in using it as a car crate
blush.gif
. Sorry.
But since I often feel somewhat nosy when I see that someone have deleted their replies, I haven't erased my reply, you can just disregard it. /ETA.

Either way, I would not use the same crate in the car as at home or dog shows, because at home/dog shows I want them to have as much room as possible but if I'm involved in a car crash, I don't want the car crate to be so large, that the dog can be harmed by tumbling around inside the crate.

smile.gif

soloabe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Edited to add, that just as I pressed "send", I realised that you talked about getting the crate in to the car to take the crate with you and not as in using it as a car crate
blush.gif
. Sorry.
But since I often feel somewhat nosy when I see that someone have deleted their replies, I haven't erased my reply, you can just disregard it. /ETA.

Either way, I would not use the same crate in the car as at home or dog shows, because at home/dog shows I want them to have as much room as possible but if I'm involved in a car crash, I don't want the car crate to be so large, that the dog can be harmed by tumbling around inside the crate.

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
We usually have the crate in the back of the car when we take them out but they travel in harnesses in the back seat!

soloabe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I personally think the first ones are better. They are more airy and not so closed in. If you are leaving a dog in for a few hours i wouldn't use the second one. But i am soppy so.......
ETA won't the second one get too hot in the summer? Just thinking ahead
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if it would be anywhere to get to hot.

We have air conditioning in the house and never leave the dogs shut in if we are outside and its hot.