Quiet, cordless clippers - which are best?

cblover

Visit site
Jus after some recommendations for good cordless clippers that are fairly quiet too. I’m getting Sox used to the noise and vibration with an old electric toothbrush and she’s learning to accept it.

I’d like to move on to a pair of cordless clippers now...I do have corded clippers (liveryman ones I think) but they are noisy and she’s not quite there yet. Plus cordless would be handy.
Thanks ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have the liveryman black beauty ones which are excellent. Like you I already had corded liveryman clippers so this means my existing blades were interchangeable :)
You can turn the speed down for tickly areas or doing heads etc which is good for sensitive horses.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Ah I have the battery pack ones. I prefer that to having the battery in the handset as it means the handset is smaller/lighter. I just pop the battery in my pocket, just did one today with them :)

Pippity

Visit site
I have Liveryman Harmony, which basically sound like trimmers. I was able to clip my previously tricky cob loose in her stable, without even a headcollar on. I am thinking of investing in the battery pack, though - they were definitely coming to the end of their charge by the end of the clip. (They can also run off the mains, if necessary, but I can't be arsed with extra cables.)

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I have Liveryman Harmony, which basically sound like trimmers. I was able to clip my previously tricky cob loose in her stable, without even a headcollar on. I am thinking of investing in the battery pack, though - they were definitely coming to the end of their charge by the end of the clip. (They can also run off the mains, if necessary, but I can't be arsed with extra cables.)

I have been looking at those. They look nifty.

ApolloStorm

Visit site
I have two, one is the Wahl moser Avalon’s which have been great for my nervous boy he accepted them all round his head. But as a step down from these I bought a £6.99 pair of dog trimmer from eBay. That actually have been decent- they go through his leg hair with a little patience. They are so unbelievably quiet, and much better than I had anticipated

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I have Masterclip Showmate trimmers which have done a successful bib clip on Dave 2 years previous.

I've gone a bit more extreme this year so got him done while still zonked from dentist, but looking for something more robust but quiet.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Check out his "Just enough to avoid a rug" clip!

122090315_10159447373099739_6437923804489850852_n.jpg

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have Liveryman Harmony, which basically sound like trimmers. I was able to clip my previously tricky cob loose in her stable, without even a headcollar on. I am thinking of investing in the battery pack, though - they were definitely coming to the end of their charge by the end of the clip.
I’ve got these, and the battery pack. Excellent things. When I need to use the battery pack, I hook it with its belt clip onto my jodhs and carry on.

Photo to show the size of the Harmonies compared to my full size Heiniger Xplorers. Very neat, quiet and easy to hold. Those are the wide blades on them, there are narrow blades too.

85CEED0D-F946-4C72-89FB-667A71B6B6FE.jpeg

TGM

Visit site
One of ours came to us needing sedation for clipping. I got him used to being clipped with a pair of Liveryman Elements which are basically trimmers but capable of doing a full clip if necessary on a fine-coated horse although they did struggle with the thick hair on my pony's bottom! If you already have a pair of clippers then these might be a good intermediate stage as they are under £100 and are useful for other things as well. The battery is very long-lasting for a pair of trimmers (I've heard the battery on the dog trimmers don't last too long). They are also very durable, we've had ours about nine years now.

cblover

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I’ll have a look at the ones you’ve suggested. I always thought trimmers wouldn’t be strong enough to clip but maybe things have changed.

My clippers are quite old but been looked after very well. Too noisy though, hence the need for an interim set.

QueenBella

Visit site
I have the Liveryman harmony and I find them amazing. My horse was never clipped before and she just stood like a leaf while I clipped her. I only did an Irish clip on her, I don't know if the battery would hold up for a full clip but you could always purchase the battery pack! I've only used them on warmbloods, I don't know if they would clip a heavier coat.

cblover

Visit site
I’ve got a cob so she’s a bit thicker coat than a warmblood but I’d never be doing a full clip. Just a trace at the most.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Heiniger explorers no question!

I've got Xplorers and I love them, but they are not the quietest out there.

I've recommended them loads on here and elsewhere, but I won't be recommending them again, following my recent experience with their customer services :rolleyes:

I prefaced my query by saying

(a) I've had my Xplorers a while now
(b) I've been clipping horses (professionally) for nearly 40 years, so I sort of know what I'm doing, and
(c) my blades were brand new and had done less than an hour's work

The response I got was

"To whom it may concern Firstly re-read your manual I recommend you have your blades resharpened or purchase new Incorrect tensioning and blunt blades account for most of clipper issues"

:eek:

But returning to the OP's question, I have used a fair few types and makes of trimmers, and have discovered that all the horse/pet trimmers are actually pretty useless and overpriced. My latest purchase was human hair trimmers which have a long battery life, wide blades and an adjustment on them so you don't need to mess about with guards for different hair lengths, and best of all they have a battery life indicator on them so you know how long you've got left. They go through leg hair well and are brilliant for all other areas. They are CeenWes ones, got them on Amazon and they were not expensive.

m1stify

Visit site
I've got Xplorers and I love them, but they are not the quietest out there.

I've recommended them loads on here and elsewhere, but I won't be recommending them again, following my recent experience with their customer services :rolleyes:

I prefaced my query by saying

(a) I've had my Xplorers a while now
(b) I've been clipping horses (professionally) for nearly 40 years, so I sort of know what I'm doing, and
(c) my blades were brand new and had done less than an hour's work

The response I got was

"To whom it may concern Firstly re-read your manual I recommend you have your blades resharpened or purchase new Incorrect tensioning and blunt blades account for most of clipper issues"

:eek:

But returning to the OP's question, I have used a fair few types and makes of trimmers, and have discovered that all the horse/pet trimmers are actually pretty useless and overpriced. My latest purchase was human hair trimmers which have a long battery life, wide blades and an adjustment on them so you don't need to mess about with guards for different hair lengths, and best of all they have a battery life indicator on them so you know how long you've got left. They go through leg hair well and are brilliant for all other areas. They are CeenWes ones, got them on Amazon and they were not expensive.
Oh that’s a pity about the customer service! Tbh I haven’t used many clippers so maybe they are not the quietest.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
I also have the liveryman harmony but got the plus pack that had the battery pack included they are great. I can clip my cob who has shorter denser hair and my friends Welsh x who has long fluffy hair and they give a good finish in both

FFAQ

Visit site
Following with interest as i'm also in the market. Clipper Sharp have recommended Aesculap Bonham. Any opinions?