Quivering/flapping lower lip - meaning

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I'm sure we've all seen this at some time or another when horses are being worked. I have my own view on what it means but then I read somewhere on here or elsewhere about it meaning something different to what I thought. I won't say what as I don't want to influence the poll. But what do you think?

View

Visit site
Hmm, see there is one horse I know well whose lower lip flaps only when he is being groomed and I am right on the itchy spot. In this case, definitely a happy horse :)

MargotC

Visit site
Interesting. Both my horses would do this when given a good scratch in the right spot whilst grooming. They'd both move after the hand to make me keep going!

Never had one do it whilst ridden or working but I would be a little surprised if it meant the same thing.

Nudibranch

Visit site
The only one I know who does it is my TB, when under stress, e.g. separation anxiety. The whole bottom lip comes away and flaps, along with head circling. Cant see the poll on tablet to vote tho.

Enfys

Visit site
No, I mean when being ridden. A constant flap, flap flapping of the lower lip.

My mare flaps according to the gait she is going, I think it really depends on the horse, I suspect part of E's flapping is stress, or remembered stress, as when she was on the circuit her training would have been quite intense and it takes effort to fino at the speed show horses are expected to work, so also concentration perhaps.

Saying that, I think it is also impatience, she is extremely forward going and when I won't allow her to go faster then she flaps harder the more frustrated she gets, she genuinely seems to enjoy being out though, when she's ridden her ears are never back when she's on the move.

Equi

Visit site
Depends on the situation. I have seen horses asleep do it, so clearly relaxed. I have seen horses with 10 bits in and heads strapped to their chests being kicked with spurs do it, clearly distressed.

MargotC

Visit site
I might be completely off here, but I wonder if some horses (regardless of cause) are more anatomically disposed towards a flapping lower lip. The reason I had this thought is that my boy (a Standardbred) had what I'd call a tight mouth, nothing really "loose" about it when closed. My mare, bless her, always did have a slightly hanging lower lip (but did not have an underbite). It was just very... flappy (and very suited to cuddles).

Dry Rot

Visit site
I've said this before (and probably read it somewhere!), Nature is extremely economical with body language and some behaviours that are apparently identical can mean completely different things. Think intense laughing and crying in humans. Sometimes difficult to identify one from t'other and it will depends on the situation.

ihatework

Visit site
I think it can mean all of the things you have listed, depending on the situation.

I have a ginger pocket rocket dressage mare who can hold tension, but when she really starts to relax and work through then I do sometimes get the lower lip flapping. My trainer once commented that normally he saw that as a sign of tension but with her it meant the opposite

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. My old mare used to do it when my trainer got on her, but not with me. I am working with a horse at the minute who does it all the time ridden and is a horse that has had/has so many pain issues. They are supposed to be resolved, but I'm not so sure.

1ST1

Visit site
In my case, flapping of the lips on the lunge and when ridden was one of the numerous signs that the Vet used to diagnose a neurological issue (Shivers).

little_critter

Visit site
With my mare it means she is concentrating really hard....and could be on the verge of being stressed if I don't pick up on her emotions and reduce the pressure.

happyclappy

Visit site
Most of mine have/do do this but not during wok, always while mutual grooming/being groomed, having scratches, and I assume it is from pleasure. I do think it also comes from other things such as concentration or stress.

DressageCob

Visit site
My horse and a few others I know do the flappy lip thing when they are having a doze in their stable :D My horse also smacks his lips (flicking up his bottom lip so it smacks against the top) during work because he is concentrating. It's just a little concentration tic. He doesn't do it when he's being naughty or not paying attention irrespective of tack etc. So it's just a concentration thing. It comes on at the same time as his ears go sideways :D

Annagain

Visit site
Not quite the same but my old boy used to have a very loose flappy, twitchy lip when he was dozing. If you timed it right, you could drop an extra strong mint down into his gum. He could smell and taste it but couldn't reach it to pull it into his mouth to eat it. It was hilarious to watch.

Lucyad

Visit site
Mine does it when he is gazing into the distance contemplating. He enjoys a wee lookout, particularly if we are hacking past a good viewpoint - I suspect he is often looking for the hunt, or other horses. He also does it out hunting when we are stopped - looking over to hounds. He seems happy, alert and interested rather than stressed in any way. I have often thought to video him, as you could do a voice-over - it looks like he is talking! maybe he could get a job as a film horse....

marotelle

Visit site
I noticed that Valegro, did this the last time i saw him perform in that very Strange championship in Aachen. He looked and performed below par and looked at times quite anxious.
Compared to some of the other competitors, and the sad last sighting of the great Totilas I
guess he could be said to have performed quite well.Unless I am mistaken, he has been given
a well earned rest and I hope we shall see him in a happier frame of mind in Rio.
I agree that some horses do this when curious or playfully,but in most cases I feel it shows stress.....

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I noticed that Valegro, did this the last time i saw him perform in that very Strange championship in Aachen. He looked and performed below par and looked at times quite anxious.
Compared to some of the other competitors, and the sad last sighting of the great Totilas I
guess he could be said to have performed quite well.Unless I am mistaken, he has been given
a well earned rest and I hope we shall see him in a happier frame of mind in Rio.
I agree that some horses do this when curious or playfully,but in most cases I feel it shows stress.....

Interesting, thanks.

I do think that when a horse does it ridden, it's a stress/apprehensive thing. I guess though it depends on how well a person knows their horse as some may also do it when relaxed. The thing which prompted me to ask was the suggestion that it was an indicator of pain, and that the horse I am currently working with has historical pain issues.