R.I.P. "Advise"

Penniless

Visit site
What a devastating start to a new week for us – our beautiful TB stallion “Advise” was tragically put to sleep this morning at Rossdales. He’d seen a bit off colour yesterday, but nothing major, and even when we had to get emergency vet out yesterday for one of our other horses (cut leg) and remarked on the fact that he seemed a bit off colour, he was still okay whilst the vet was here.

During the night though, one of our guard dogs (his best friend) kept barking at his stable. I got up and went to check and he was lying down but didn’t seem in any distress, and when I offered him a polo, he got up to eat it with no problem.

We turned him out for his usual morning play at 4.30 this morning and he seemed happy grazing. Got him in at 7.30 and within 10 minutes he was back to seeming off-colour. We then noticed his pulse was absolutely racing and was going so fast we couldn’t time it. I called the vet and when he arrived we found that his heart was absolutely soaring (he registered 140) – normal rate is 40. Vet thought it might be a possible colic and gave him a rectal and tubed him, but said that his heart shouldn’t be going that quick (as it had now risen even more) and was very worried about it and to get him into the hospital immediately.

Within minutes of arriving at Rossdales, the whole team started on him and rather than take the colic route, decided to do an immediate ECG on him – by now we could see his neck/throat absolutely throbbing – the ECG registered 172. More tests were done including a scan on his heart and then we got the devastating news – he’d ruptured his aorta and had suffered an aneurysm.

We were told that he might survive a year or two but would be doubtful if he could cover again. We were told that they could monitor him for the next 24/48 hours but if the tear got bigger, then it was a put down job immediately. If it stayed as it was, then he could come home but to be prepared to find him dead in his stable one morning – something we didn’t want to face. This apparently is something that happens to late teenage stallions which category Advise fitted into.

So we made the decision there and then not to let him suffer any more. They said he must have been in agonising pain when it happened but he’s always been a tough boy and showed us no pain at all. By now his heart rate was even higher, so we stayed with him whilst he was put down and sadly walked back to the lorry minus our lovely boy.

So our beautiful boy, who has given us so much pleasure since we took ownership of him 9 years ago, from his racing yard in France, is no longer with us. He has only covered a small selective band of mares each year, whose progeny who have gone and won at County and National level, he’s sired horses for all disciplines and was himself, not only a winning racehorse (raced 33 times and won and placed in over half of them), but was also National In-Hand Show Hack Stallion along with other titles in the first few years of owning him.

He has given us two beautiful foals this year –and another reason we are devastated, is that we decided to give our broodmares who go to him each year a year off, so now have nothing in foal to him ourselves for next year. Our mares all know something is wrong, and we’ve just come in from night feeds and found one of his wives in a real distressed state. Our guard dog that was his best friend is sitting outside his now empty stable and pining.

He was an absolute pleasure to own – a real gentleman with his mares and mare owners came back time and time again to him. We will all miss you Advise – you were a beautiful boy – was even told by a judge at a grading once – that he was too handsome for a stallion!

Advisewithname.jpg

Adviseheadshot.jpg

Au revoir our little sexy French man.

woolly

Visit site
I am really moved and sorry for your loss. If you can take one thing from it, in my opinion, you and all involved with this wonderful horse at your level, have provided the best example of someone who should be allowed to breed horses. Responsible, caring and completely committed to quality of life. Massive hugs for all involved and such a wonderful tribute.
P.s give the guard pup an extra big cuddle from me!

valour11

www.goldfieldsstud.com
I am very sorry for your loss. No matter how old they are or how long you have loved them, they leave a big empty hole in your heart when they leave. You did the right thing by your boy.

I lost a 2 year old, palomino warmblood colt in March to an aneurism. He was out in the indoor playing with my other 2 colts because the weather was bad. He was fine one minute and flat out dead the next. It was very quick. There were no signs of him struggling it was like he had died running around. Its truly heart breaking.

Maggie2

Visit site
I always thought he was truly stunning, and am so sorry to read your sad news. It is no comfort to hear but I could name you 2 other stallions that I know suffered exactly the same thing, and it does seem to be something that older stallions are prone to.

R.I.P. Advise

Delarose

www.harasdelarose.com
A lump in my throat and tears in my eyes reading this as the memories of my own losses come flooding back.

Take comfort in all the wonderful memories he has given you & that you were with him at the end. Every time you look out on his youngsters, he'll be there in spirit.

Adieu Advise