Raaaaant. about reins. Well, bridles in general actually....

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
Meh! Just been to Rideaway in my lunchbreak (no mean feat & all ends up a bit of a rush) as I need a new bridle.

So, lovely jefferies bridle, with a cavesson (rare thesedays) but why oh why oh WHY do they always have such pissy reins? I HATE rubber reins.
mad.gif

To buy reins as well was another £60 and the bridle was £140. So, I set about making one up out of all the different jefferies parts. Which ended up being £180 (£280) with the breast plate. But I couldn't find the right flipping cheek pieces anyway. So that was tossing useless as well.
mad.gif

Ended up buying the reins & a new noseband, so I will just have to make do.
It's going to p it down all day tomorrow anyway so likely no-one will even bother to look at my tack. *sigh*

mad.gif

Oh and why are there SO many staff in that place?

and Grrrrrrrr
mad.gif
just in general...

Halfstep

Visit site
Yes, I feel your pain because I hate rubber reins too. Albion offer a choice of reins with their KB bridles, which is why I think I'll be buying one of them next time I'm bridle shopping.

Ezme

Visit site
I didn't know rideaway had an acctual shop.... i'd rather go to local saddlers anyway, get exactly what you want, often much cheaper than a named bridle. (got some fab milatry style bridles for the heavies made very cheap and they're lovely leather)

Scribbles

Visit site
I hear you! My lovely sabre cordoba (I have a cavesson and a grackle noseband for swipsyswaps) DIDNT come with reins. They were another £75!!

My saddler offered to do me a deal for both of them, making the reins £45, but I refuse to pay that much for two strips of leather.

lillie07

Visit site
I am with you on this one- I HATE rubber reins with a passion. I have the Albion KB and swapped the reins for 1/2 nubuck, they are gorgeous and it didn't cost me any more.

trundle

Visit site
I really dislike the thick rubber reins so i DO feel your pain. I've only got little hands (short legs, little hands...i am actually a bloody garden gnome) and the thick rubber reins are too unwieldy for me. i bought some rubber-lined reins from Ebay which were absolutely perfect; not expensive, decent grip and not at all bulky.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know rideaway had an acctual shop.... i'd rather go to local saddlers anyway, get exactly what you want, often much cheaper than a named bridle. (got some fab milatry style bridles for the heavies made very cheap and they're lovely leather)

[/ QUOTE ]

Rideaway sort of IS my local saddlers
tongue.gif

bellaboo

Visit site
Have you looked at Barnsby? i brought a bridle from them when they came to fit my saddle, they also gave me a choice of reins, the gummi reins are nice as although they are still rubber they feel like really well used plain reins but with a bit extra grip
wink.gif

air78

www.ctwequine.com
Totaly agree:) Hate thick rubber reins, and don't even get me started on flash nose bands V cavessons etc

ended up ordering my last bridle from foxes, with a cavesson, and an XF browband on a FS bridle with no reins
smile.gif

Hate rideawy...... it always seems like a good idea, but when you get there they never have what you really want, everyone is always rushing around and you just get ignored. It sends me into a trance and I end up wandering the isles looking for something to buy; I always end up coming home with vet wrap for some reason!
tongue.gif

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I feel your pain too, I hate rubber reins as I've got little hands. The bridle we use for jumping / hacking has them but luckily it came with quite thin ones. For dressage I bought a bridle from cotswold sport (v nice and v reasonable comfort one) and I could chose the reins, so went for dressage ones which I really like.

Good luck and don't despair!

Spotsrock

Visit site
Everyone I know hates them, that's why they come free, so you get reins but the manufacturers know you'll buy more and with decent tack you'll buy the same make.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Dear Angry of York
wink.gif

Have a hug m'dear, and a nice hot chocolate with a flake
grin.gif

At least you managed to find a bridle with a cavesson! Whe did manufacturers decide all horses needed their gobs strapping shut!
blush.gif
frown.gif

As to the rubber reins, keep those for winter, great for riding in heavy rain when wearing gloves
wink.gif
cool.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
Sunshine with the odd bit of light rain, then cloudy and showers towards tea time, if I'm wrong you can blame me, so get tack cleaning, get your horse spruced up and stop moaning!
wink.gif
grin.gif

D

Donkeymad

Another one who hates rubber grip reins, they are just too bulky for my short fingers!! My local saddler however makes lovely leather reins for just £20, £45 seems rather steep.
cool.gif

tabithakat64

Visit site
I prefer half lined dressage type reins or the Barnsby Gummi reins (these are really fab), my new Fylde bridle came with laced reins but I haven't tried it yet so am not sure if I like them or not.
smile.gif

I really am starting to dislike chunky rubber reins, I always dislike plain leather ones too
laugh.gif

3Beasties

Visit site
Eeek, Am I the only one who likes rubber reins?
blush.gif
I have fully lined ones and half lined ones (which I prefer). What type of reins do you all use instead?

Boater

Visit site
I hate rubber reins too, and flash nosebands... I've got rubberised webbing reins on my bridle, lovely and light and slim. Cost £16 and so easy to clean!

L

lilym

i feeeeeeeeeeeeeel your pain!! I really, really detest rubber reins and i don't need a bloody flash to strap my horse's gob shut so why the feck is it soooooo bloody difficult to find a nice bridle with a PLAIN noseband without rubber reins????????? I have to be patient and now order mine from fylde, made how I want it to be made!!