RAAAANT

maya2008

Visit site
Electric fence for a bit? My horses’ fence conveniently also stops next door’s dog from jumping in. It is set a few feet in, so if he jumps the actual fence he is then rather too close to the electric one! None of that was on purpose, but it is very useful!

SOS

Visit site
I feel your pain And just last week my puppy had a large dog chase/run her over and ended up injured...

My puppy got ran over by a large boisterous Labrador on a walk the other day. She was also off lead in our big field but just trotting at heel (as we are working on that so were training), dog enters field with owner on the other side and bolts towards mine barking and full pelt. Mine freezes and it bowled into her and knocked her over. At the time seemed fine but her little foot swelled so we xrayed and she’s broken her toe and one of the joints of her tarsus. I’m fuming in hind sight that the owner let the dog run over and just kept walking on their side of the field after it had clearly knocked my pup flying.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I feel your pain And just last week my puppy had a large dog chase/run her over and ended up injured...

My puppy got ran over by a large boisterous Labrador on a walk the other day. She was also off lead in a big field but just trotting at heel (as we are working on that so were training), dog enters field with owner on the other side and bolts towards mine barking and full pelt. Mine freezes and it bowled into her and knocked her over. At the time seemed fine but her little foot swelled so we xrayed and she’s broken her toe and one of the joints of her tarsus. I’m fuming in hind sight that the owner let the dog run over and just kept walking on their side of the field after it had clearly knocked my pup flying.

Poor pup!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site

My puppy got ran over by a large boisterous Labrador on a walk the other day. She was also off lead in a big field but just trotting at heel (as we are working on that so were training), dog enters field with owner on the other side and bolts towards mine barking and full pelt. Mine freezes and it bowled into her and knocked her over. At the time seemed fine but her little foot swelled so we xrayed and she’s broken her toe and one of the joints of her tarsus. I’m fuming in hind sight that the owner let the dog run over and just kept walking on their side of the field after it had clearly knocked my pup flying.

That's shocking :( hope she recovers quickly

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I would be at least as cross as you! If you have a bye-law, do you have a dog warden? If so, I would report it. I would also be tempted to grab it and hide it next time it comes into your garden, then whizz it off to the dw, so that he has to pay to get it back. But I'm like that.:rolleyes:
I'd try to catch it and do this too.
Or speak to your local dog warden, if he walks at similar times, he might come out and have a word, our local one would.

SOS

Visit site
That's shocking :( hope she recovers quickly

Just proves that people don’t care what their dogs do one bit! Now I get it when owners say they don’t know how a dog got the injury/no idea what it’s eaten/no idea if it’s got a dodgy stomach... because apparently it’s normal to let your dog run out of sight and control?!

Bellasophia

Visit site
With dog theft sadly rife now, I wouldn't want to advertise having a dog. I hate taking my dog out or bringing him in when traffic is passing, in case potential dog thieves see where we live. They even break into houses to steal dogs. Dog thefts and frequent dog attacks (including one on mine) have taken so much of the pleasure out of having a dog for me, and many others I'm sure. My friend nearly had her dog snatched by a traveller outside a shop in our village in daylight, while waiting for a friend. ? It's a horrible world we live in.
Odyssey....I would never leave a dog out in a garden unattended..ever..my suggestion was to have the gsds there ,with Corvus ,to convince owner to keep his dog on lead and out of her garden.
I abhor dogs living outside 24/7..we have three neighboring houses that leave their dogs out day and night..it’s been minus fiveC at night..the dogs never get walked,it’s terrible.
Your post about Uk sounds awful,re theft and dog attacks.Its very sad to read,especially the drive by threat..I left uk 30 years ago,when these things were not the norm.I hope your friend got her dog back.I think I still see uk with rose tinted glasses.:(

maisie06

Visit site
Hmmmm what a prat, is there any way you could catch the dog and keep it safe for a few hours, while he goes out of his mind looking for his "missing" dog?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Hmmmm what a prat, is there any way you could catch the dog and keep it safe for a few hours, while he goes out of his mind looking for his "missing" dog?

Great idea in theory but I really cant believe this particular owner and others of his ilk will do much more than shrug his shoulders and toddle of home without a second thought for the poor dog.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Talk about lowering the tone....

So I'm in the hall prepping the pup's Kong with the front door open and old dog starts going mental. And then she starts wuffing (like father, etc etc etc) I look out and see someone darting past. Followed by white blur. I rush out of front gate, resplendent in Darth Vader coat and trapper hat, to see dog gallivanting around all over the place, as per, and him hotfooting it down the lane.
So in my best fishwife, I roar:

STILL NOT ON A LEAD THEN!

And finish the spectacle with a rousing slam of the front door.

I'm sure my neighbours love me....

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Great idea in theory but I really cant believe this particular owner and others of his ilk will do much more than shrug his shoulders and toddle of home without a second thought for the poor dog.

Is there anything you could put into a meatball that is completely safe to eat but that would colour a dog's saliva bright red? Prepare a couple of these and the next time the dog comes in the garden throw him one of them; he'll think it's a ball and catch it, then realise it's tasty and eat it... then imagine the owner's panic as his dog seems to be bleeding profusely.

I would have suggested a laxative so that the dog messes up the owner's carpets, but the dog might get a totally undeserved beating for that.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Darstardly shenanigans could be easily avoided if he simply just...put a line on it for about 100m.

Disclaimer: I don't really go for messing with other peoples' dogs.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
The dog warden said she would come out and do a walk around.

I saw him again (yesterday or the day before) and it was offlead again but I was holding the pup and it didn't come in - I said 'Hiya, I thought you said you were going to keep it on a lead going past?' and he said back quite aggressively 'I was trying to catch it to put it on a lead' and kept going.
Yeah yeah. I was going to say 'tell it to the dog warden' but will keep my powder dry. I don't normally take the phone out with me when I have her out but I might film it next time.

Another neighbour had their dogs out later that day and they made friends through the gate and it was a better experience for her.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
A reminder never to pre-judge your dogs lol. The eldest (grumpy old sod) who I expected to mill any interlopers into his space, was standing at the gate today when same spangle skittered past. Not on a lead as per.
I thought 'oh here we go'.
She ran back and BARKED IN HIS FACE REALLY LOUDLY. Cue owner still out of sight, trying to call her to no avail.
And dog just stood there with a 'WTF is this thing??' expression. Rather than leaping the gate and doing anything awful.
Really proud of the dog and hope it's reminded this guy (AGAIN) to keep his dog on a fecking lead.

Littlest is still shouty in the garden when dogs go past and out and about with fast-moving dogs...she is worried about coming under attack because of a negative experience at a very important age.
I'm having to put a lot of work in to fix it. But I guess as long as his dog has her 'freedom'. That's the bit that people don't see when they think there's no harm done and they go on their merry way.

Clodagh

Visit site
A reminder never to pre-judge your dogs lol. The eldest (grumpy old sod) who I expected to mill any interlopers into his space, was standing at the gate today when same spangle skittered past. Not on a lead as per.
I thought 'oh here we go'.
She ran back and BARKED IN HIS FACE REALLY LOUDLY. Cue owner still out of sight, trying to call her to no avail.
And dog just stood there with a 'WTF is this thing??' expression. Rather than leaping the gate and doing anything awful.
Really proud of the dog and hope it's reminded this guy (AGAIN) to keep his dog on a fecking lead.

Littlest is still shouty in the garden when dogs go past and out and about with fast-moving dogs...she is worried about coming under attack because of a negative experience at a very important age.
I'm having to put a lot of work in to fix it. But I guess as long as his dog has her 'freedom'. That's the bit that people don't see when they think there's no harm done and they go on their merry way.

Perhaps his sheer gobsmackedness at the sitution saved the spangles skin!? I'm sorry about your pup having a fright. A seconds worth of worry can cause such long term repercussions.

TwoForTwo

Visit site
I was just thinking something along similar lines???
They did try at mine just after Christmas. I have small terriers and I know for sure one of them got whoever it was, he has a friendly Awoo bark, A warning Bark and an Attack bark which you hear and know to find him immediately if you can’t see him. He was in the front garden, back gate which is locked from the inside was open and in full attack mode, I was isolating with Covid at the time and when I got out the front door I saw two men running away, one limping. Serves them right

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
So after meeting this punter a couple of times out on walks with him cheerily saying HELLO, today I was cleaning the friendlier of the big dogs on a patch of ground on the other side of the lane/hedge when the spangle just appeared and flew at him, a few sniffs to begin with but when he went 'ooh, you appear to be a lady dog' she started screaming in his face and snapping at him. Made a right racket and has parted his hair in several places.

Owner just literally scuttled past with his head down. He would have heard the racket but not have been aware who or where we were/not known that I saw him. What a dick!! For all he knew his own dog was being attacked or had hurt another (big dog is well chilled out, thankfully).
And she'll be back off the lead again tomorrow....

The dog wardens were out yesterday at the other end of the walk but he starts at this end and only goes about ten or 15 minutes.

SAujla

Visit site
Have you got it on video? I know it must be hard because you are busy and don't really have the spare hands to do so. You must constantly be wondering what on earth is going through his mind, if anything is at all

Birker2020

Visit site
I think it's awful. The owner should have had some form of control.

My partner lived on site where he used to work and we had a lovely set up with rescue chickens, one of whom was my little friend Scramble, she used to sit on my shoulder and was a lovely little thing, going in the kitchen of the mobile home we had and stealing the dog food and scratting on the brown dog rug thinking it was mud! We had sheep netting all around the perimeter of the set up and a five bar gate which was always shut.

The riding club where we lived had dog walker membership. A staffy whose owner was walking it over the grounds climbed over the five bar gate to get to my hen, biting her deeply and breaking her leg. Although the owner was apologetic to my partner I was very angry and really upset as she had to be destroyed and it broke my heart, she must have been in so much pain. So unecessary.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yeah most of the time I'm too shocked to react, just like 'WTF just happened?'. The dog I had this morning is biddable and friendly but he is strong - there's me still worrying about whether he could hurt the spaniel, which is actually snapping at him....

I would say that another conversation with the dog warden is in order.