Rain Ranting Thread

94lunagem

Visit site
The wind today has been insane, and made it biting cold.

The rain was so bad it woke me up at 4am this morning.

But thankful we’re not forecast the thunder and lightening.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
And just had a huge thunder storm with hale the size of golf balls and flash flooding....so fields are now flooded again. This is in the MK / Bletchley area

lovely_ponies

New User
Visit site
Brought my 4 y/o in today (he lives out 24/7) - he waded himself carefully through the mud to the gate and then once out, poor lad was hobbling across the hardstanding and gravel to get to the yard 😢 he's barefoot and had a trim last week, and I think the combination of that and this current storm has just tipped him over the edge and his feet haven't been able to cope. The whole field is mud or marsh now, and also full of stones that have all risen up through the mud. Could have cried seeing him struggle and then having to put him back out in it later 😩 YO has said he can come and stand in on the yard during the day for the next few days to give his feet a few dry hours, hopefully it helps 😢 I don't know what else to do 😔

HelenBack

Visit site
oh and for vitamin D, buy decent gel capsules of around 5000ius and take 100uis of K2, and some magneisum with it. When my vitamin D is low I get bouts of the rage for no reason, so hopefully getting your levels up helps you feel better!

Thanks for this advice, I've certainly had quite a few rage attacks in the last few days, some of which I've managed to supress better than others!

Are there any particular brands of vitamin D you recommend? I'm usually a bit of a cheapskate and get Tesco's own brand vitamins but it sounds like I'll be looking for something a bit more industrial strength here!

I'm Dun

Visit site
Thanks for this advice, I've certainly had quite a few rage attacks in the last few days, some of which I've managed to supress better than others!

Are there any particular brands of vitamin D you recommend? I'm usually a bit of a cheapskate and get Tesco's own brand vitamins but it sounds like I'll be looking for something a bit more industrial strength here!

I dont think the brand matters, its the strength that does and them being gel as it helps it be absorbed better. K2 and magnesium are fine with the cheapest though!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I am so fed up of the weather, we have a lake in the field and the only joy that brings is we have ducks and geese flying in which are lovely to see. Got to think of a positive! Poor ponies need a break from it as they live out 24/7. Could bring them in but they hate being restricted and chose to stay out under the trees. Just want some warmth and no more rain!!!!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Fear not, having got fed up being soaked through twice a day I’ve just bought myself a new waterproof jacket so the rain WILL now stop 🤣

Seriously though it’s pretty soul destroying. My boys are out at night and have been rugged the last two as it’s been horrendous. I think we have two dry days and then two more weeks of incessant rain. The local hunter trials have been cancelled tomorrow as although the going is good everything will get stuck trying to leave. Like many I’m completely over winter.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Brought my 4 y/o in today (he lives out 24/7) - he waded himself carefully through the mud to the gate and then once out, poor lad was hobbling across the hardstanding and gravel to get to the yard 😢 he's barefoot and had a trim last week, and I think the combination of that and this current storm has just tipped him over the edge and his feet haven't been able to cope. The whole field is mud or marsh now, and also full of stones that have all risen up through the mud. Could have cried seeing him struggle and then having to put him back out in it later 😩 YO has said he can come and stand in on the yard during the day for the next few days to give his feet a few dry hours, hopefully it helps 😢 I don't know what else to do 😔

are you sure he hasn’t got an abscess?

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Was supposed to be dry this morning.

All I can say is good job I put my rainlegs on before setting out on a hack.

I went out in my le mieux long winter riding coat - the best coat I’ve ever bought I think as it never lets me down! We had fog, wind, sideways rain and sun in the hour I was out this morning 🙈

Reactions: tda

lovely_ponies

New User
Visit site
are you sure he hasn’t got an abscess?
I thought this, but he is sore walking on all 4 feet (with one front and one back slightly worse than the other) and negative to hoof testers all round.

The bulbs of his heels all feel really boggy and soft when I checked today, which I guess would explain it (and explains why he's sore even on flat concrete). I've got a pine tar spray to see if that helps and he's in today again before going back out later, and just praying for some improvement (and a break from the rain!!!) tomorrow

4Hoofed

Visit site
I’ve given up trying to guess if I can give the boys a naked day. It was 14oC when I left the yard but already had two heavy showers. Felt bad leaving the dressed in the brief sunshine 🫣

I was really hoping that I’d be able to keep the new baby out 24/7 from the get go. But after spending the first two weeks out in the day as we got introduction’s between him and the jolly ginger giant has trashed my paddocks. So he’s condemned to the hard standing now they have established they are brothers as I can’t stable numbnuts we don’t have any big enough and I can bring myself to lock a weanling inside.

And from a riding point of view I feel like I’ve managed to combine hydrotherapy with road work 😨😨 half a local road has given up and started to disappear into the drainage ditch….

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
So fed up with this weather now.
It stopped raining and looked really rather sunny outside this morning, so I had a go at long reining the young man. I haven’t ridden him in a couple of months as it’s been impossible to get any consistency because of the sh*** weather. We’ve just moved house so I wanted to gently ease him in to work in the new home. Then it started sideways raining with a bit of hail thrown in.To be fair, he coped really well but the 4 in the field decided to charge about in the high winds.🤦‍♀️

Yippee!!! Forecast is now saying no rain until Monday.
It’s not really something to celebrate though, is it?

Last edited:

lovely_ponies

New User
Visit site
So fed up with this weather now.
It stopped raining and looked really rather sunny outside this morning, so I had a go at long reining the young man. I haven’t ridden him in a couple of months as it’s been impossible to get any consistency because of the sh*** weather. We’ve just moved house so I wanted to gently ease him in to work in the new home. Then it started sideways raining with a bit of hail thrown in.To be fair, he coped really well but the 4 in the field decided to charge about in the high winds.🤦‍♀️

Yippee!!! Forecast is now saying no rain until Monday.
It’s not really something to celebrate though, is it?

Long reining, or long raining 😂😂😂

Timelyattraction

Visit site
its not looking good 😭

Attachments

• BE0CEE25-F472-459E-8264-675ED94D69D9.jpeg
    BE0CEE25-F472-459E-8264-675ED94D69D9.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 7337D357-A24C-41D1-BEF6-B934A16B6F2E.jpeg
    7337D357-A24C-41D1-BEF6-B934A16B6F2E.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 190BD623-A052-4C62-95E2-FFEB7FFE6B77.jpeg
    190BD623-A052-4C62-95E2-FFEB7FFE6B77.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 12

meesha

Visit site
Met office long range forecast...a glimmer of hope at last

Saturday 13 Apr - Saturday 27 Apr​

Through mid to late April, there is no strong signal for any one particular weather pattern to dominate over another. As such, further rain and showers are likely at times, but there is also a reasonable chance of some drier and sunnier spells of weather. Temperatures most likely near or a little above normal.

paddy555

Visit site
from the noise of the rain outside and the forecast for us Mon - Wed this is going to be an awfully long thread at this rate 🤣🤣

tomorrow afternoons for us is shown on the met forecast as more "organised rain" :eek::eek: