Rain Ranting Thread

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Mine are all OUT tonight for the first time this year! My fields have really dried up from the wind at the weekend and although there’s a few showers predicted overnight they were more than happy to stay out after I’d taken them their dinners in the field this evening. The worst part was the midges - they are absolutely horrendous here so I have covered them in fly spray and then seemed happy enough. Looks bad tomorrow in the day though so I will bring them in in the morning and then probably turn them back out tomorrow night again. I’ve been waiting for this day for about a month - no mucking out in the morning 💪 poo picking instead which is a novelty that I expect will wear off pretty quickly! 🙈🙈

Indieanna6

Visit site
I feel like I’m dining the Hokey Cokey at the minute as mine have been a day in followed by a day out for the past two weeks! Heavy rain overnight and 55mph winds and torrential rain forecast for today.
I hate having them in as a rule but my older girl seems quite happy. Roll on better days!

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Our top field is never wet - apart from the gate area there’s no mud even in the depths of winter … until now … there’s standing water <sobs>. They can’t go onto the summer fields yet as they’re too soggy to get machinery in to sort the fencing. When will it stop raining??

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Dry feild yesterday with one or two bits still a but soggy but they are over the underground spring that runs under that field.......this morning the squelched up the field when i turned out.

My one is normally feral in april demanding to go out, this year he is jist fed up and wondering off looking like he would rather be anywhere but here ☹️

southerncomfort

Visit site
Cold, wet and windy.

I gave in and put them on the track in the summer paddock. I'll be lucky if it lasts a week, but I figure it gives me time to take the strimmer up to the spare paddock and remove the cut grass.

Summer paddock doesn't have a shelter and I'm probably going to have to bring them in at some point this afternoon which means they'll be in until tomorrow morning. I do not feel good about any of this, but at this point I think we just have to make the best of things really.

setterlover

Visit site
Looking at the long range forecast our area is forecast 5 dry days in a row from Wednesday 17th !! Only problem is it always tends to disappear when you get closer here's hoping it actually materializes

SEL

Visit site
Right now I'm feeling the love for my farrier after the mud sucked off the remedial shoe from the pony. Still haven't found the flipping thing and I hate missing shoes in fields - but he came over just before going away for his holiday and fitted one that had some life left in it from a previous shoeing.

Now to find the other one in ankle deep slime :confused:

GrassChop

Visit site
Right now I'm feeling the love for my farrier after the mud sucked off the remedial shoe from the pony. Still haven't found the flipping thing and I hate missing shoes in fields - but he came over just before going away for his holiday and fitted one that had some life left in it from a previous shoeing.

The mud took a shoe off of one of mine too. Hoping it'll show up when I ever get the chance to harrow.
It's so deflating, it's not even just the rain but everything else that comes along with it. This being one of them!

Reactions: tda

Tarragon

Visit site
I have the ponies' annual jab and and teeth visit organised for Thursday. I got an email saying that it is best done with a clean and dry pony .... not easy with hairy field-kept ponies and no rugs!! I will do my best :)
Recently, I have been doing most of my "grooming" with wisps made from straw - Excellent for scraping mud off and helping them dry and can just be thrown away on the muck heap.

"If you have an appointment for vaccination, please note it is important that your horse or pony is clean and dry where they are to be injected. To facilitate this, you could consider keeping the horse stabled either overnight (for a morning visit) or through the day (if it is an afternoon visit) so they don’t become wet or dirty – or have them wear a rug to keep them clean and dry with a neck cover if this is where the vet will inject the vaccine. Otherwise, please allow adequate time prior to the visit to ensure the area the vet will inject is brushed clean."

SpottyTB

Visit site
Can’t believe i’m saying this… it didn’t rain all day! In fact, the sun was out and it was warm enough to sit out in the sun!! I was like a basking seal out there 🤣

Back to normal tomorrow I think…

Maxidoodle

Visit site
We’ve had a full on storm today, high winds and the rain has been relentless, we had roofers trying to get our house roof watertight, I couldn’t watch, how they weren’t blown off the roof and the three storey high scaffolding, I don’t know. They are made of strong stuff obviously but said they had to give up at 2pm as it was just too wild for them, hopefully tomorrow is better. I have rubber matting leading from the stables to the field as the track is stony and the matting is pretty much disappeared under water. I can’t remember when we last had a dry day!

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site

Have just moved areas but our previous farrier said I was his best customer for losing shoes, far and above anyone else. He said it was because of how I managed my horses keeping 5 in a field together. I knew this wasn’t true and that it was the heavy clay in the fields!!
Anyway, we’ve been in new place a month, weather has been horrendous, all 5 horses out together 24/7 as no stables yet BUT no lost shoes! It’s slightly less heavy clay here.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
We’ve had a full on storm today, high winds and the rain has been relentless, we had roofers trying to get our house roof watertight, I couldn’t watch, how they weren’t blown off the roof and the three storey high scaffolding, I don’t know. They are made of strong stuff obviously but said they had to give up at 2pm as it was just too wild for them, hopefully tomorrow is better. I have rubber matting leading from the stables to the field as the track is stony and the matting is pretty much disappeared under water. I can’t remember when we last had a dry day!

It was wild here in Nottingham today, the wind was so gusty, nearly took my barrow!

spotty_pony2

Visit site
I’m in Lincolnshire and it’s been very windy today. The horses came in for the morning but have gone back out this afternoon and tonight. All were happy except for the Friesian who was a bit spooky but I’ve not ridden in this wind so good for him to be able to get rid of his energy himself. I’m determined it WILL be spring. I can’t do winter anymore!!

dougpeg

Visit site
It still feels like winter here. Pony stayed in today as its rained and rained and paddock is a bog. The wind was so strong it was shredding the electric fencing too. I'm so, so, tired of it now. Several on my yard are battling mudfever and rainscald. Its just awful.
I've been so fed up with it I sold the pony two weeks ago and was planning on hanging up my waterproofs. I booked a holiday somewhere sunny and was looking forward to a mudfree life. Unfortunately the pony bounced back just over a week later so I'm back to the grind. At least his paddock had a week's rest 🙈

meesha

Visit site
Dry and beautifully windy here yesterday, perfect ground drying weather. Still water in gripes but the higher bits although churned up are at last dry enough to roll. Rain today then some good weather for a few days at least so hoping by next week can roll the ground then crack on with sand turnout. We've nearly made it through everyone. 😁

Indieanna6

Visit site
My local weather page posted this yesterday:

‘We are one third of the way through April and we have only received 11.3 hours of sunshine so far this month.
In January(keep in mind the shorter days) we had over 52 hours of sunshine for the whole month.

We have almost had more rain this April already, than what we had for the whole of April 2023.’

I think mine will have to stay in again today as paddocks full of standing water. At least the 65mph winds we had yesterday have gone so exercising them will be easier!

Tomorrow dry and 16 degrees apparently then a few days of dry and calm 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

scats

Visit site
Our local area has been all over the news because of the new sea defence wall that cost 20million and is now awaiting someone to open the gates to let the water flood back into the sea.

Yesterday was the worst storm we’ve had all winter. The RNLI had to rescue people from a seafront cafe who were flooded in.