Rain Ranting Thread

Cates123

Visit site
Same here. Trying to get the farmer to come and sort the fields but they're never dry enough. 2 days of sun and then a day of downpour. Have others had their fields harrowed/reseeded yet?

Reactions: tda

Fransurrey

Visit site
Quite a nice weekend, actually. Temps well above the forecast, but that of course meant midge central as water is still pooled outside my shelter. SI mare has really held onto her coat this year and suddenly started shedding, so she's rubbed freshly moulted fur into her mane resulting in a brillo pad look overnight. I went up this morning with the sole aim of sorting it, after making up her fly goo of benzyl benzoate, neem oil and now a few drops of tamanu oil. Great for our skin, too, btw, just very stinky. Anyhoo, after an hour of intense grooming and her doing her merry dance (she is phobic of any type of liquid, so trying to condition her mane and tail is 'interesting', as is application of goo), I notice the weather has changed to darker skies and drizzle. No problem, as I saw showers were expected, but before throwing on fly rug, checked forecast. Now temps of 10oC max and heavier rain. So, 50g turnout it is (and a swift change for the gelding, too, who was in his fly rug only because he was clipped on Saturday!). Drove home in horizontal winds, rain and hail. Heating on, kettle on, back to hibernation!! Ho hum, at least it's not on the weekend!! Yesterday was lovely!

Floofball

Visit site
Well I’ve finally given up on my boys winter turnout. The drying up process had turned it to treacherous ‘sucky’ mud and it just wasn’t worth the risk. Having seen the overnight forecast and todays storms I made the call yesterday to keep them off until they can go out on summer fields which are still flooded in places so god knows when that will be 🤷‍♀️ I’ve resigned myself to daily hand grazing for the foreseeable!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
So far this morning we've had sun, torrential rain, sleet, snow, hail, howling gales and thunder.

Lovely.
And when I listened to the local weather forecast this morning, the forecaster said it would be windy later :oops:. It was blowing a gale at the time and there was no mention of a weather warning or named storm, so I'm not sure how much windier it's going to get!
I'm just hoping that the forecast snow for 'the hills' will land further north.

setterlover

Visit site
I think we have all just about had enough with the weather. After a gorgeous day yesterday today is wild windy and cold and has rain showers to add to the mix.
Heavy rain in the night so back to square one.
Need to harrow and roll one field need to get the muck spread and would dearly like to get them onto the summer field but daren't risk it yet as the inevitable tearing around will do too much damage.
Who would have thought we would still be in this situation in mid April.
The farmers are getting desperate they need to get their crops in by beginning of May or the harvest will be really late I'm sure straw will be in short supply who knows about hay !!! a lot depends on getting some consistently warm weather as the gras really needs to push on now.
It will certainly be a late cut for us this year and last year we moved over to all haylege given the uncertainty of the weather.

PurBee

Visit site
And when I listened to the local weather forecast this morning, the forecaster said it would be windy later :oops:. It was blowing a gale at the time and there was no mention of a weather warning or named storm, so I'm not sure how much windier it's going to get!
I'm just hoping that the forecast snow for 'the hills' will land further north.
Same here, checked the forecast yesterday morning, RAD (rain all day) but no mention of a windy storm. By 7pm is was howling, and very blustery so checked again and suddenly see 80kmph winds added. Usually they give a yellow triangle warning.

It sounds as if that storminess has drifted over to the uk today. Its short-lived thankfully and we have some northern cooler breezes bringing in drier chunks of weather for a few days, but some nights to get cool, down to 2/3 degrees.

GrassChop

Visit site
We had a lovely weekend, the relief I felt at just everything being dry and somehow so much easier was palpable. Back to howling wind and piddling rain this morning!
I know, I actually got sunburn AND managed to harrow my fields. Now it's pouring with rain and high winds and due to be going down to 3 degrees. If the fields get trashed again, I'm going to cry.

setterlover

Visit site
Well it's actually dry and forecast to stay dry for the next 5 days ( not sure I believe that ! after the last couple of months)
It is however bitter cold with a fresh wind but I suppose you can't have everything .Managed to roll and harrow everything that needs it and set up the electric fence on the summer field as will need to section graze it as we have had to stay off it for so long ( Usually move on to summer grazing early March)
Just need to organise getting the muck spread and all the jobs are done.
Usually in this position right at the begining of March .
Tractors are up and down the lane here so obviously all the farmers are trying to catch up.!

Boughtabay

Visit site
The dry(er) weather and strong winds/sun have also started drying things up quite quickly here too. So Spanish dragon decided this would be the perfect time to go lame. 🤪 farrier & I both think he’s sore from wearing his feet pawing in the stable while playing companion to baby cob. He’s smart enough not to paw in front of me but he’s clearly been doing it so mats went down over a week ago and I’ve turned them into a more solid field which has been made available just in case it’s a strain as the winter field has got very deep and tacky 🤞 so, the weather is coming and we’re still on stop 😂 sorry, can’t please some people!!

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Freezing here tonight but dry. Horses are still out and rugged up well. Looks like rain is coming tomorrow night though so they may have a night in. At least I’ve managed about 10 days with no mucking out! 😂😂

Steerpike

Visit site
Woken to a gorgeous sunny morning with frost! Today the horses are going into their summer routine, I'm done with mucking out 😂

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Finally the fields are mainly rolled - still some very wet puddles but majority is ok. It’s so nice to see despite the slightly wintery chill we’ve got! Horse will be going out with boots on tomorrow…. Now I have to hope he doesn’t injure himself throwing shapes…. 🙈🤞

saalsk

Visit site
Sun out and dry, after quite a sharp early frost. Both horses naked, and I'll just put a rug on the arab at night for a few days while it carries on warming up. Too squishy to roll or harrow yet, but a vast improvement on the last few days. Grass is def coming through, fed the sheep earlier and they all charged to the gate, and were throwing shapes and generally behaving like pronking lambs. Had to remind some of them that they are actually teenagers, not to mention grandmothers, and such behaviour isn't to be encouraged !

meesha

Visit site
Clear and dry here in somerset, off to Exmoor midday for 3 nights with friend and horses, although dropping quite cold at night there looks like we might get dry days ...which is more than we got last July lol.

Longer term more showery days back on forecast ...