Rain Ranting Thread

setterlover

Visit site
We have now had two consecutive days of heavy rain and it's not that warm .
All the jobs are done but I am getting heartily sick of this weather still got a heavy coat on and forecast keeps promising better weather which disappears when you get there.
Booked for Badminton horse trials and although they keep saying it's fine there after the horrendous mud last year I am beginning to doubt them.

tda

Visit site
Usually you over seed March to early May so probably not too late .I would however like it to be a fair but warmer than it is at the moment for the seed to germinate
Waited a bit longer and rolled most and overseeded most of paddocks last weekend, it's dried up ridiculously well so we'll have to see of any of it grows

setterlover

Visit site
I think this forever winter has certainly made a lot of us question our life choices.
I'm down to 2 horses (19 and 24) and there certainly will be no more.When down to one the remaining one will go into retirement livery and I will walk away from horses.
This has been such a difficult year winter began at the end of October and is still going now , everything ,bedding feed farrier have all gone up and vets bills are eye watering particularly when you have oldies where insurance isn't an option due to the huge cost and that's if you can even get it.
I can't imagine costs of livery as I'm lucky enough to have them at home plus the stress of horse management when you have to follow what yard owners want with regard to turn out etc.
After a lifetime of horses I will be walking away.

PurBee

Visit site
I think this forever winter has certainly made a lot of us question our life choices.
I'm down to 2 horses (19 and 24) and there certainly will be no more.When down to one the remaining one will go into retirement livery and I will walk away from horses.
This has been such a difficult year winter began at the end of October and is still going now , everything ,bedding feed farrier have all gone up and vets bills are eye watering particularly when you have oldies where insurance isn't an option due to the huge cost and that's if you can even get it.
I can't imagine costs of livery as I'm lucky enough to have them at home plus the stress of horse management when you have to follow what yard owners want with regard to turn out etc.
After a lifetime of horses I will be walking away.
I know what you mean. I live in a tricky wet boggy climate all year round, and the challenges just the climate can throw at all folk with outdoor animals to care for, add to the large amount of work animals require, regardless of climate.

I had seed last year to re-seed, it finally got warm and dry in june, so too late, and planned an autumn re-seed instead - very wet summer, everywhere boggy. Hoping this spring to get the seed in finally, and we’re not into over 10 degrees during day consistently, the land is still too wet and soil cold. We just had a frost the other night.
The odd dry day, but lashings of rain at night or days of rain. The place needs to dry out. I only have a lightweight compact tractor but that will easily get stuck in these conditions!
Im going to throw that seed out no matter what this year at whatever point i can, as it doesnt store forever!

94lunagem

Visit site
It’s still too wet but I’ve had to move mine onto summer fiends so I can manage the fenced off paddock I have for my little laminitic. It’s so wet still I had poo picking friends this morning (that grass isn’t in my laminitic’s paddock I should add!)

Attachments

• IMG_2494.jpeg
    IMG_2494.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 4

Miss_Millie

Visit site
We had a window of dry last week, and the fields could have been harrowed, but I rely on my neighbour to do this as I don't have my own tractor and the timing didn't work out for him. This past week has been horrendous and we're back to standing water everywhere - the horses don't want to leave the hardstanding. I'm throughly fed up and can't help but feel stressed about the condition of the land - I had planned to overseed by now but it doesn't look like it's going to happen until Autumn at this rate.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It was dry like dust last week but this week has not stopped so back to mud and flooding everywhere.

Crap British weather and its 9 degrees today just to add to the misery so sick of it now.

Although when it did warm up the horses and me were getting eaten alive by horrible tiny biting bugs.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I actually managed to put *some* haylage out on the ground today for the first time this year. The majority went in the shelter but at least what I put out went on dry land without being in danger of blowing away.
The haylage bale that we are using atm is in the yard. I had to take the cover off to stop it overheating but am keeping on eye out for the forecast rain to start, so that I can cover it again.

setterlover

Visit site
Well after 2 to 3 days of horizontal torrential rain today has been glorious sunshine and warmer actually took my coat off .It is actually forecast dry and warmer from Tuesday ( fingers crossed 🤞)for the rest of the week.
Off with our caravan and dogs to Badminton for the 5 days of the horse trials staying on their campsite,please please let them be right about the weather after the dreadful quagmire of last year can't face it again.

Boughtabay

Visit site
Yesterday it was warm but drizzly so I turned out naked. Spanish dragon came in absolutely livid (to the point I thought there was something seriously wrong with him until he calmed down after 5 mins in a fluffy blanket warming up). Today started out drizzly again so I made sure to put his rain sheet on then I left for the day. Almost immediately, glorious sunshine 😂 you can’t make it up

lynz88

Visit site
I've now had enough of this rain. Thought we had horse's soles sorted. Weather got drier. Happier horse. Now back to square 1 and then some with super soft soles. Rained yesterday. Supposed to rain today. Supposed to rain tomorrow. I'm currently waiting for horse's feet to dry to start the hoof armour layers (I had backed down to 1 layer but looks like we need the double)

little_critter

Visit site
My older mare is super grumpy, kicked out at my gelding this afternoon. I think she is cheesed off at the continued lack of turnout. Just when we get the fields dry enough it flipping rains again.
They are out tonight (fingers crossed for all shoes remaining attached come morning) just to stop the bickering.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Heavy rain all day today so no turnout again for the next however long… one of the fields had not recovered from the last deluge. I’d been starting to turn him out despite lack of grass but turned him out Sunday and he just stood there in the muddy corner wanting in. There is some grass out there but not enough for him apparently! He’s got used to hand grazing on the lush grass elsewhere so the field is of no interest apart from having a roll. So it now appears I have an indoor horse who likes being hand grazed thanks very much. Not what I wanted 🙄. The poor fields and YO. At least it’s going to be sunny tomorrow I s’pose.