Rain sheets...yay or neigh..???

Frano

Visit site
I find no fill rugs don’t seem to breathe and if the horse is a type who keeps warm they seem to get wet in the rug. Sweat or condensation? I prefer a 50g rug as it seems to allow air flow around the horses body.Also a slightly damp horse will dry in a rug with some filling where as in a no fill this does not seem to happen.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
How will he feel about the ElleSkywalker skirt? Is he in tune with this? On that note, have you seen the Arctic Horse ones? Oh my.

I think he will appreciate his rider getting closer to matching him in elegance and magnificence... (which, obviously, a riding skirt would instantly achieve ?) he doesn't enjoy rugs because they cover up, rather than enhance, his splendour. Plus. Rugs are for wimps.

Oh and yes to the Arctic Horse ones. Oh my indeed.

southerncomfort

Visit site
One of mine is 20 now. Been unrugged all her life and is generally quite a warm pony.

However, last year she made it very clear that she really does not like getting wet anymore. A no fill rug is perfect as, at this time of year, anything more would make her too hot. They do need to fit well though.

I have a couple of 100gm rugs for winter and so far she's never needed anything warmer than that.

MissTyc

Visit site
A yay from me as well. Love my cheap Amigo rainsheets; usually get 3-4 years out of them. The Shires ones are good too. My horses are out 24/7 with blanket clips. Once I clip off more, they'll get filling, but they're not delicate types!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Great info, thanks all. I'm going to go for a couple of decent ones this year and see how we get on. The horses never seem bothered by the cold but they just don't look happy when it's relentless rain and wind etc. They have loads of natural shelter plus field shelters but sometimes I just feel it's not quite enough.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I use rain sheets for our current weather. It is not terribly cold, the yak isn't clipped yet, and it is on and off light rain. It is mostly just to keep him somewhat dry.

Oddly enough, I bought him a 1200D Weatherbeeta Comfitec Dynamic sheet a few years back, and it is nice looking sheet, but it is not waterproof! I must've gotten a dud. I replaced it with an Amigo 600D since I just went to grab something cheap from the local shop, and somehow that thing has lasted 2 seasons and is waterproof. It's quite thin, but does the job! Other wise I have all Rambo and a few 1200D Amigo's.