Rain sheets...yay or neigh..???

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Horses live out 24/7 unclipped. I need to be able to ride the Fat Hairy One over winter but rugging drives me nuts. He doesn't need one but I absolutely detest riding a wet horse.
How can I rug appropriately without boiling him or preventing his natural coat from working correctly..?? He's only hacked out twice a week so I'm very reluctant to do any clipping.
Most rain sheets/no fill are worse than useless but a 50g might cook him..???

Auslander

Visit site
I know people say that 0g rugs leak and make the horse colder, but I've used them for years, and never had a problem with them. I don;t buy super cheap ones, and tend to replace them every couple of years, whereas I expect my heavier rugs to last forever.
Alf was cold a few evenings ago, when the temps dropped. I put a 0g on him, and half an hour later, he was warm. Go figure!

TPO

Visit site
My 3 all have shires rainsheets now and no leaks.

I think sheets are useful when its warm/mild but raining. I personally dont think they are much good for warmth and if it's two lots of weather (eg cold and raining) then they get 50gms on.

Well excluding Fat Cob who only gets a sheet on if it literally is end of the world weather

irishdraft

Visit site
I use rain sheets i find them useful for lots of varying weather conditions . I do have fails with them so usually buy a couple of new ones each year. A pony i have here has a pessoa that's lasted about 4 years still going strong.

Mule

Visit site
I use a no fill rug on mine in winter, if it's very wet and cold (he refuses to wear a medium weight one, no matter how cold it is) anyway, they sound ideal for what you want.

teddypops

Visit site
I know people say that 0g rugs leak and make the horse colder, but I've used them for years, and never had a problem with them. I don;t buy super cheap ones, and tend to replace them every couple of years, whereas I expect my heavier rugs to last forever.
Alf was cold a few evenings ago, when the temps dropped. I put a 0g on him, and half an hour later, he was warm. Go figure!
Same here.

L&M

Visit site
Another that finds rain sheets very useful, especially in the changeable weather of spring and autumn, where winter rugs are too thick.

They also help keep my white cob clean the night before an event, and use in stable and paddock as necessary.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Another sheet fan!
I currently have no fill Rhino’s and an Amigo bravo.
My old horse lived out in a Rambo Supreme and I could guarantee he’d be dry whatever the weather.
An alternative might be a waterproof fly sheet type?

WandaMare

Visit site
last winter I found one of my mares would shiver when wet with no rug and yet with a no fill rainsheet she was fine. She is quite fine coated for a pony so it seemed to provide some warmth retention. She only gets a padded rug if the temperatures drop really low as she is a very good doer.

chaps89

Visit site
I found my Rhino no fill was ok, it was good quality.
My Shires one just clung to the horse and although it didn't leak it did feel cold and clammy underneath. I do normally like shires rugs though, I just don't think the no fill was any good for us.
I have a Shires 50g for the fat companion. He will be hairy and naked 99% of the time but it gives me the option of putting something on him for biblical weather. It is so very light padding that I really don't think 50g will cook him. I was reluctant to put anything heavier on him though as I think that might.
Madam has a 50g weatherbeeta and that worked really well for her in the wet winter we had last year. Not sure the 100g even came out of the bag last year tbh as it didn't get cold enough.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thanks everyone ☺
I'm looking at the 1200 denier as they seem to be tougher. Fed up of buying cheap ones that are wet through in no time :( They all seem to keep pretty warm but I'd just like to keep the wet off the poor buggers instead of them being wet and cold

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
I like the Rambo rugs that come as a zero and have the liner system so if ever you do need a bit of extra warmth you can add it to what ever thickness you need or buy additional weights.

The amigo bravo leaks in heavy rain but seems ok in light rain.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I've never had a rain sheet leak either. Have used Masta, Weatherbeeta and Bridleways and they've all been great. Current pony wears John Whitaker and it's been really good. He's gone out in it tonight to give him some protection from wind and rain.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I haven’t had any trouble with shires no fills leaking tbh. I begrudge spending more on rugs for him because he’s a serial rug trasher ?, so it’s either cheaper new or second hand (I don’t buy washed rugs though, as I find once they’ve been washed they aren’t so waterproof). I only chuck one on mine if I want him clean, he’s a hot horse so doesn’t need any fill.

Mule

Visit site
Shires no fill seems to do the job for MrT even in foul weather. He's pretty warm anyway so don't think the "coat flattening" thing makes much difference to him. He's been shivering when it's gone on a couple of times and he's soon warmed up. He does have a 100g too for when it's really bad.

View attachment 55990
I love that facial expression. I think if he said what he was thinking out loud, the hho mods would give him a warning:p

Apercrumbie

Visit site
My 1200d Weatherbeeta full neck rainsheet is the best rug I've ever bought. The ned stayed clean and dry without overheating, and I could spend less time trying to get clay off a fluffy Welsh Cob. They're lifesavers if you have hot, fluffy natives.