Random...

allijudd

Visit site
Believe me I am no Mother Teresa, but I can never see the point of degenerating what could be a good debate into the usual drivvel when pros and antis get going on here. I am a pro but not because i hunt cos I dont. I take it by your screen name you have some connection with that organisation?

LACS

Visit site
I'm all for rigorous debate but, I'm sorry, I really can't take pious lessons about the need to eliminate "drivvel" from someone who says:

"What does LACS stand for then???
Losers Against Common Sense?"

This is just childish and adds nothing to the debate. I can understand why people dislike or even hate the LACS but this sort of puerile name-calling gets us nowhere. However, I've decided to forgive you, just this once.

And with that, dearest Miss, I must leave you for a while. I'm off for a run!

Fairynuff

Visit site
OOOhhh, are you sexist? Why should A be female?
I think I may have met the person in a carpark in Crawley about a year ago. IF its the same person, it it about 6 feet Nine and a quarter and has long waist length hair that starts at the shoulder. cant honestly say as to which sex it pertains as genitals covered by a grass skirt (plus it was dark and foggy). Sorry, youve lost "Brownie Points" with that assumption-"laddie?" M. :p(female till proven otherwise)

CARREG

Visit site
Ive never said, or ever heard anyone say foxes were never dug, you seem to be over dramatising something no-one has even said

just because my opinion is shared by a minority does that make it wrong, if my opinion was the same as the majority who would like to reintroduce capital punishment would that make that particular opinion right

In one way or another Ive been paid for killing the foxes Ive killed, but its not always my job, what part of that cant you understand

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Interesting debate.

AlanE - I'm not sure I agree with you about battery chickens. Yes it's certainly unnatural but even if the intention isn't to be cruel to the birds the living conditions imposed on the birds most certainly are... The fact that they can't engage in any natural behaviour and exhibit classic signs of stress is surely a form of cruelty?

I certainly would never eat eggs from battery chickens, or eat broiler produced chicken. I hate any form of intensive farming, if we're going to keep animals to consume the least we owe them is the highest standard of care, which includes being kept in as natural a state as is possible.

allijudd

Visit site
GG, as much as i agree to a degree with your point (conditions now are much better than they were) the general public are to blame for caged hens still being farmed. The consumer can make a choice in what they buy, but the most popular eggs from tesco by volume are blue stripe (caged hens) people will always buy cheap look at new zealand lamb compared to british reared..... is come half way round the world and not as fresh and IMO not as good, but its cheap, and people buy it. Wether its right or wrong, intensive farming will always be used for as long as the consumer public wants CHEAP food.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
allij

You're absolutely right - as long as the general public buy factory farmed food farmers will produce it. It's not a simple problem by any means. Many people would like to buy free range/organic/British reared produce but just can't afford to, others have no real concept of the conditions some animals are kept in. Equally all the farmers I know would much rather keep their animals in as natural a way as possible but unless its cost affective their hands are tied.

Clodagh

Visit site
Hi Endy, good to see you back Warming up for the new season?? :D
I disagree with 'intensive' farming, as my protest I don't buy animals from that type of background.
I disagree, like Carreg, with baiting.
I disagree with bullfighting, but as Rosie says I haven't seen it.
I disagree with the intensive rearing of gamebirds to be shot and buried, I support and enjoy walked up shooting for supper.
I feel sorry for carp!! lol!!
I only support charities like ILPH, Donkey Santuary, Brooks and so on. Not because I necessarily think they are the most deserving, but I can't support them all.
Good question, though.

allijudd

Visit site
Trouble is it is cost effective to be extensive, but the supermarkets make it un tennable.
Milk: 17pence per litre at farm gate = 36pence per PINT (80 pence per litre)
cost of production 16 pence per litre
Lamb at market £60 per head, weight aprox 50 kg supermarket price average £7 per kilo

If supermarkets were not distorting the marketplace for their own profit, everybody would be better off.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Again I agree but we also can't forget that a lot of farmers made a lot of money from supermarkets. Now the supermarkets are squeezing farmer's profits to increase their own... but that's how business works.

Unfortunately for a lot of people shopping at supermarkets is their only option and distorting the prices on certain produce allows the supermarkets to reduce prices on other items.

LACS

Visit site
"Ive never said, or ever heard anyone say foxes were never dug, you seem to be over dramatising something no-one has even said"

You gave the impression that all foxes you killed were bolted into nets. This isn't the case. Most people, I suspect, find the idea of a fox being held at bay by a terrier underground, or worse - fighting with the terrier, very upsetting.

"just because my opinion is shared by a minority does that make it wrong"

Doesn't make it right either.

"In one way or another Ive been paid for killing the foxes Ive killed"

I don't believe you. For thirty years you've killed foxes, and you claim you've benn paid for every single death, without exception?

LACS

Visit site
This is simple to clear up: Alli are you a girl or not?

What makes you think I'm a laddie, Mairi?

Anyway, a bit of sexism is good.

wurzel

Visit site
I think the way LACS abuse the deer at Barlynch is very cruel.

Why do they torture the deer so?

"Local landowners and officers of the Exmoor Deer Management Society were very co-operative in the culling eight red deer on the land surrounding the LACS sanctuary at Baronsdown under the auspices of Hugh Rose, who conducted basic post mortem examinations before carcasses were submitted to VLA Langford for further examination and culture. The result of this collection was very disturbing indeed:

Six calves were culled [two female, four male] - four had clearly visible lesions

Two two-year-old hinds were culled – one had clearly visible lesions

All the samples submitted for culture proved positive for bTB

These results have been sent to the LACS veterinary surgeon with a request to share data on any samples submitted from within the sanctuary. LACS has declined to exchange information. "

These people are sick !!

LACS

Visit site
It is precisely the same as baiting. If you require evidence I'm very happy to provide genuine quotes from terriermen describing their "sport". Would you like me to do this?

severnmiles

Visit site
"You gave the impression that all foxes you killed were bolted into nets. This isn't the case. Most people, I suspect, find the idea of a fox being held at bay by a terrier underground, or worse - fighting with the terrier, very upsetting."

Why?

"Doesn't make it right either."

Why not?

"I don't believe you. For thirty years you've killed foxes, and you claim you've benn paid for every single death, without exception"

What does that matter?

severnmiles

Visit site
No ta. Seen it in the flesh. Video's can be doctored, I would be careful watching video's from a source named LACS, they are one organisation who are well known for fiddling with so called evidence.

LACS

Visit site
Not videos - quotes. Carreg can vouch for their authenticity. Would you like me to reproduce them here?

CARREG

Visit site
Over 90% [as Ive stated before] on here of the foxes I account for with my terriers are bolted, I also honestly believe 99.9% of the Great British public havent got a clue about terrier work much like yourself, we can all pick and choose bits off the www

Now you answer me, if the majority of people are in favour of the death penalty does it make it right

whether you believe me or not is of no concern to me...again I ask you, why does it matter, are you trying to cleverly manouvere me into saying I do it for fun, well this much I'll tell you, I enjoy working my dogs I see it as a far less cruel method than some other methods Ive seen used...If you dont agree, I wont lose any sleep over it..............Carreg

RunToEarth

Visit site
"It is precisely the same as baiting."
Just what this forum needs. Another nonce that likes to think they know something about everything.
You might want to think about what you just wrote, because I beg to differ, as would everybody educated with terriers in this damn country.

LACS

Visit site
"On Sunday October 4th, I entered my Russell dog 'Sam' in a two holed spot on a disused railway banking at Ryehill. It is a well known spot for foxes and over the years many have been bolted from it. After 'Sam' had been in for 30 minutes a fox bolted.

After waiting a while and no sign of 'Sam' coming out I went to listen and could hear him strongly baying at a second fox. After waiting all day and no sign of the dog or the fox coming out I decided to enter my bitch 'Bella'.

Both terriers could be heard getting to grips with the fox. I waited till 11pm when I blocked both holes and went home. I returned at 6.30am the next morning with Tony Bannister. We could hear both terriers and we both thought they were fast so we started digging. It soon became obvious that we needed some help because after a couple of feet we came across a lot of large rocks. I went home and rounded up some more Fell and Moorland Working Terrier Club lads. I returned with four more plus a Tirfor. After digging until 7.30pm it was obvious that we had a long way to go as the terriers could be heard right down in the bottom of the bank under a lot of large rocks.

On Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday digging continued all day long. By mid morning Saturday the terriers could be heard getting nearer all the time. At 2pm we were very close and by moving some small rocks the bitch squeezed out, followed by the dog.

After SIX DAYS to ground both terriers were saved due to the tremendous effort by the club. After backfilling celebrations were held at the nearby pub."

CARREG

Visit site
Hmmm, very poor reply, looks like we've found you out early enough, you gonna answer the other questions I asked or would that be asking to much.............Carreg

LACS

Visit site
I guess you're referring to "Now you answer me, if the majority of people are in favour of the death penalty does it make it right"

No, doesn't make it wrong either.

Onyxia

Visit site
Silly little girl. Go to bed -you've got teletubbies in the morning!
.............................................................................................

Its taken 28 posts for you to start insulting people? Bit slow for a troll isnt it?