RANT - Studs and them changing livery terms as and when they like!

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
i'm wound up! i decided on a stud etc, visited a number of times, asked some questions re the pedigree that i still havent had answered but today - i have just had an email saying that suddenly - she wouldnt be able to be out at grass! i could understand if the reason was the weather but no - the reason is - they would want to test her twice a day - and this involves bringing her in........ such hard work!!!!! instead they would rather have her on full livery - where they will give her lots of care, mucking out, grooming etc - errrrrr wont that take more time than grabbing her from a field!!!
i've emailed back saying unless she can be out - as she is used to then i will find another stallion. i will wait and see if they change their mind but its wound me up as we went through all of this the 1st time i visited and it still says on the site that the mares can live out and that he can even run with them if desired.
all they keep saying in emails is call me..... but i want it in writing - ie an email what they eventually agree on!

rantrantrant!!!!

brackenhappy

Visit site
dont blame you for ranting i would be major peed off!! my girl is out and the stud just fetch her in for anything they need! bracken prefers to be out and at £10 a day for full livery i passed on that!! no wonder your anoyed as you explained to them that you wanted her out. i would sugest e-mailing them again but stating on it if you havent had it in writing (reply to e-mail) in the next 7 days then you will be taking her to a stud that will cater for her needs. good luck!!

Tinkerbee

Visit site
some studs
mad.gif

our foal came back supposedly "halter broken and fine to lead" shes a little HORROR, rears up if you go near her head...

and Jazz (mare) came back in shocking condition, ribs and spine prominent, still not bulked up
frown.gif
and with marks on face from too small headcollar
mad.gif

eventrider23

Visit site
don't blame you...
when my mare's were up at Brendons (Sussex), one of them was being a little !"£$% to catch (cheeky) and so they would bring her in in the morning and turn her out in the evening AND even kept her in for a couple of days when was being flushed and AI'd at NO EXTRA COST!! They said it was for their own convenience that they had brought her in to save the hassle of cornering her in the field and so still just charged me for grass livery!!!
I was VERY impressed!

htobago

Visit site
There are good studs as well as bad!

Maybe we should have a thread on here for 'Naming and Praising' the good ones?

At Cliveden where my boy lives, they pride themselves on sending mares home in better condition than when they arrive!

One owner did not even recognise her mare when she came to collect her - the mare had arrived looking frankly dreadful, not only very scrawny but didn't look as though she'd seen a brush for weeks.
shocked.gif
By the time she left, in foal, she was in show condition.
smile.gif

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
I must say i used hobgoblins stud and they were fantastic i was really worried as my mare likes to jump out of her field - they were great saying if she did they woudl bring her in for me x even though id booked her to be on grass livery !!

luckily she did stay out !!

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
Couldn't fault the stud my mare was at. She was supposed to be on grass livery while she stayed with them, but for the first couple of days she was really unsettled so they kept her in so that she could be next to a couple of ther mares. They brought her in when the weather turned really awful as well.
She came home looking fab (and didn't want to leave
blush.gif
), and we were only charged for grass livery
grin.gif

gnubee

Visit site
If you want a record of the terms agreed, but they think it would be much better sorted over the telephone you can either call them and record the conversation (there are services you can use for this) and let them know that for your personal convenience you are keeping a record of it, or call and negotiate the terms, with you taking notes of what they agree to, then afterwards email them: "Just to confirm, these are the terms I believe we agreed earlier (outline of terms). Is this correct?"
Then they get their conversation and you get your written agreement.

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
tinkerbee - its not a studs duty to halter break your foal for you, i dont put myself out halter breaking other peoples foals and when i send mares to stud they dont halter break the foal for me and i would rather that way any way,

luckilotti - i would be annoyed two if i had to pay so much more for livery, we jus bring mares that need extra attention to a field closer to the yard, But i did think its strange that you would use a stallion which you dont even know its pedigree??? surely its an important factor of chosen a stallion??

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
i did think its strange that you would use a stallion which you dont even know its pedigree??? surely its an important factor of chosen a stallion??

[/ QUOTE ]

I DO know the horses pedigree and have seen his papers, researched it etc - i just had a question about part of it that was all!!!
smile.gif
I've been stallion shopping for 18 months for her so wouldnt just go and use any old stallion!

theres a huge difference between being told its £30 for grass livery and £100 for full! thats my rant!

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe we should have a thread on here for 'Naming and Praising' the good ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes would be nice to have a naming and praising rather than naming and shaming 9though they are the interesting ones! lol
wink.gif

Tinkerbee

Visit site
didnt expect them to, but she was there longer than meant to be, due to medical probs. and they said they would/had

htobago

Visit site
At my boy's stud they charge £35 per week for grass livery (and wow, you should see the paddocks - they're beautiful), which goes up to £45 for the week that the mare is being covered or AI'd, when she is brought in for much of the time.

That seems like a much more reasonable compromise to me - the extra bit is only a token, really, if you think about all the extra work during that time. No-one has ever felt that this was unfair - quite the opposite.

I do think that suddenly switching liveries on you like that is unfair, unless they have a very good reason for it that hasn't been made clear.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
At my boy's stud they charge £35 per week for grass livery (and wow, you should see the paddocks - they're beautiful), which goes up to £45 for the week that the mare is being covered or AI'd, when she is brought in for much of the time.

That seems like a much more reasonable compromise to me - the extra bit is only a token, really, if you think about all the extra work during that time. No-one has ever felt that this was unfair - quite the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should say, its surprising how long it takes to trapse all the way out into the field (and the mare you want is ALWAYS the furthest away) to bring it in to be teased/covered/scanned and then trapse all the way back out with her! People don't take that into account, if it takes 30mins to do each mare then thats £2.50/£3.50 per day in staffs wages just for that half an hour.