Rant WARNING ** .....How dare she ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
Im a little disappointed but pretty angry ...

My friend that has half in the foal has rung me saying that My yo has just given our foal ( 11 mths) a whack on the arse with the feed scoop because she reared up at her in the field ... my friend had been calling her over to give her , her out hard feed and the yo came up and said that she would climb over the fence and give it to her , My friend did warn her that she gets excited when it comes to her feed . She reared up alil and when the yo got out of the field and over the fence, she decided to whack her on the backside with the scoop while she was eating and her words where " that will teach her " ....

Im bloody fuming ... and disappointed at the yo !!! shes not like that with her own horses and to be like that with a youngster is not on !!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Is this the enormous youngster??

Nothing wrong with a good belt, and it won't have done her any harm. However, you may want to consider bringing her in to feed her if this is how she generally behaves. It's a lot safer for the handler, and will teach the youngster not to be so bloomin rude around feed time.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Agreed - stop being so protective of your youngster, if it doesn't learn manners you'll raise a horrible horse.

Adult horses in a herd would be installing this message

More to the point why are you feeding it?? People seem to love giving hard feed to horses with no good reason.

the watcher

Visit site
I am no expert but I would have thought that by giving in to her misbehaving around feed time you are teaching a bad habit for life. Only you know whether she needs hard feed now or not, but it is an ideal opportunity to teach some manners and respect at the same time (OK not wacking with the feed scoop maybe, but she MUST respect your space)

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
Amy with due respect ... she isnt like this , shes very placid and My friend had been shaking the bucket to get her to come up, I know a good slap wont do her any harm but This was when she was feeding and not doing anything, she doesnt know what shes got hit for ?

Shes fed in the stable everyday , If I feed her, I take her into the field and put the bucket down infront of her while still holding her and shes fine . I dont mind her shouting at her and giving off to her when she has been naughty and punishing her for bad behaviour straight away not 5 minutes after the incident . Shes still only a baby and She is well behaved, shes great in the stable , just got a little excited when out . Dont think that warrents a hard whack with a scoop . ?? Do you ?
smile.gif

annaellie

Visit site
In all fairness you did say your friend warned YO so she must be known to do it and you did not say it was 5 mins after as I do agree she wont know what she has been hit for

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed - stop being so protective of your youngster, if it doesn't learn manners you'll raise a horrible horse.

Adult horses in a herd would be installing this message

More to the point why are you feeding it?? People seem to love giving hard feed to horses with no good reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its my right to be protective of her :p

Trust me she is taught manners every day !! .. put it this way , you have a naughty child who has done something , you wait 5 -10 minutes and then punish the child , the child hasnt got a clue what he/she was hit for ?? thats MY point !

"People love giving horses hard feed with no good reason"

sounds patronising to me lol .... She will be showing in may if not before, she is fed on plain hay , your trying to tell me that is enough for her ? Wonder what stud mix is for and foal mix ?? :p I do know what I am doing, I do not want a fat overweight yearling that is going to wreck her joints either

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I can understand that you feel your little horse has been hard done by - and she may well have been.

But didn't you say yesterday that she can be a little hard to handle generally? And in this original post you did say she reared up - not brilliant IMO.

We have youngsters fed in the field - and I never think it's ideal, and not something I'm comfortable doing, but numbers dictate.

Fortunately the youngest at 10 months is brought in to be fed twice a day which gives a great opportunity for regular handling, teaching manners, and seeing the sights.

Each to their own - but I do think you're over reacting a bit. And probably won't get much sympathy on this particular post.

Sorry
crazy.gif

_Jazz_

Visit site
I would be livid
mad.gif

As you say punishment must be carried out at the time of bad behaviour. Sometimes all it takes is a firm NO ! Sometimes a 'good slap' can do alot of harm, sometimes a horse's behaviour puts us in a dangerous position and this must be acted upon immediately, it's no good a minute later . Good luck, I love babies
grin.gif

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
I rushed my post , Im still angry ... minor details missed *biggie* :p ... at the end of the day its not her youngster .... she does get excited in the stable but not to an extend where i cant control her , Shes always made to back up when I come into the stable with her feed and if she doesnt she does get shouted at and my hand is up to back her off, In a field its totally different esp when you have not got any control of her ! and the yo does not have any experience in handling youngstock

Tinypony

Visit site
"and when the yo got out of the field and over the fence, she decided to whack her on the backside with the scoop while she was eating and her words where " that will teach her " ...."
That made it obvious to me that the YO wasn't reprimanding her to deal with her rearing, but just hitting her because she felt like dealing out some sort of punishment.
If you're going to try to deal with bad behaviour with punishment then it's got to be instant. So as far as I can see, your YO is trying to teach your foal the lesson that when she is eating her feed someone might just belt her. Good plan.
This is the problem trying to bring up your youngster on a yard where other people interact with them. I did it and it was a huge mistake. One ignorant person can undo so much of your good work.
Maybe your foal does need a bit of discipline in her life, but this isn't the way to achieve it as you know, so I'd be mad too.

Kelly1982

Visit site
In all fairness if your friend has half share in her, it should have been HER to jump in and discipline the foal then the YO wouldn't of had to do it in the first place.

Agreed it should not of been left until 5 mins later but rearing up at someone is just plan dangerous and the foal should be taught a lesson.

She needs to be taught now before she gets too big and unmanagable!!

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
Amy in shows yes , she can be ... Possibly me , I get excited nervous and that can be passed on to her, Whereas my hubbie who is not a horsey person handles her very well and can deal with her ( its a case of whos stronger basically ) he will be showing her , thats what Im talking about, shes GENERALLY fine about the yard, She gets handled and worked with every day but Like I said Im angry at the fact the horse was hit after the incident accured , not straight away . But I do know what you are saying, trust me she is taught manners , just the other day she lifted her back leg while i was putting her rug on, she got a slap for that , Im not a walk over when it comes to handling her, Im stubborn and I like a challenge : P

_Jazz_

Visit site
Really well said
grin.gif

My question to anyone that disagrees is
' How would you feel if someone came along to your yard this afternoon and punished your horse because he/she mis behaved this morning?'

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I might have read this wrong but
" She reared up alil and when the yo got out of the field and over the fence, she decided to whack her on the backside with the scoop while she was eating and her words where " that will teach her " ....
Sorry but she did not hit her at the time she reared, she came back over the fence, then hit her. Well I maybe wrong but I was brought up that when you chastise animals/children you do it at the time, as right then, not leave it even if it is less then a minute. The reason being is they will not associate the smack for the deed.

Tinypony

Visit site
But... however feeble a horse's owner may be... if they are feeble that is... WHY exactly did the YO have to do anything? Unless you have asked the YO to help with training your horse, then it simply isn't their place to take it upon themselves to start trying to teach your horse a lesson.
And surely nobody here thinks that hitting a horse that has reared, after it's had food put in front of it, and somebody has had time to climb out over a fence, is going to teach it any sort of useful lesson?

lexiedhb

Visit site
I totally agree with everyone saying there is no point hitting the horse 5 mins after the rear, and especially if she was eating at the time, as she will learn that food means being hit which is never a good thing. I'd be seriously cross as to be fair the YO had no real need to go in with this horse if your friend was there, and probably shouldnt of interfered. I would say though that it would be better to go catch the young'un (if possible obviously) and bring her to the bucket instead of just shaking it, might make her less excitable and then safer to be around at grub time!!!

polyphonic

Visit site
i have a rule, discipline my horse as i do! once a friend of a friend BELTED flint after he bit her, and i did advise her to move out of his way otherwise he will. he's not agressive just pulls clothes etc but caught her skin, now i dont leave anything around flint unless i want it chewed pulled etc and i expect that other people respond the same way. i would be livid if my YO did that to my animal. needless to say this friedn of a friend was advised to get away from my horse unless they wanted a wack by me. explain to YO that you do not want your youngster to be smacked with a feed scoop, and to say how you would like YO to handle the situation in the future!

_Jazz_

Visit site
Oh Amy, thats not silly
Lets not over react by hitting our horses later on - as some people on here appear to advocate .......
smirk.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
It wouldn't bother me as long as they didn't go overboard or do it for no good reason!!!

Horses are BIG animals and need to learn respect. Thats to EVERYONE and not just their owners!!

My friend turns my horse out for me everyday and she has full permission to discipline my horse if she feels my horse was misbehaving!!!

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
Kelly the yo took it upon herself to go in , my friend was going to put the hay beside the fence and put the hard feed down onto the hay, but yo just took it upon herself to take the hay and go into the field and chuck the hard feed about , its not just a case of my friend not going to put it in herself lol she was doing the stable out when the yo took the hay out .

annaellie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Really well said
grin.gif

My question to anyone that disagrees is
' How would you feel if someone came along to your yard this afternoon and punished your horse because he/she mis behaved this morning?'

[/ QUOTE ] Yes if my horse reared up at someone i would expect them to discipline it but no not if it was a few mins or longer after the horse had done it

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But... however feeble a horse's owner may be... if they are feeble that is... WHY exactly did the YO have to do anything? Unless you have asked the YO to help with training your horse, then it simply isn't their place to take it upon themselves to start trying to teach your horse a lesson.
And surely nobody here thinks that hitting a horse that has reared, after it's had food put in front of it, and somebody has had time to climb out over a fence, is going to teach it any sort of useful lesson?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...not sure I agree with you there. A horse has to be safe to be handled full stop, regardless of doing the handling, or when...or why for that matter.
Agree that hitting the horse after the event is pointless, but in those circumstances the animal in question was behaving badly and needed reprimanding.

I can unserstand why the OP is upset...but it's better that a youngster is taught repect than have it grow into a much larger, much stronger 3/4 year old with no manners and an attitude problem!

polyphonic

Visit site
and to be honest you wont find me going in with other peoples horses unless there is a very good reason too. leave it to friend or owner. and im afraid amy she has my sympathy. i do not think YO is right to smack said youngster after the incidnet has taken place.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
As the whole story is 3rd hand now, perhaps we should just leave it at that. The OP was not at the yard, she had it told to her by a friend, (who I can't work out why she did not just give the bl00dy horse the feed in the first place) and has no real knowledge of the timescales between the rear and the whack on the arse.
Simple - don't let anyone else feed the horse. I would be cross if someone whacked my horse, but I would probably ask them about it before getting really mad.

lexiedhb

Visit site
Yes foalie needs to be taught respect, or all hell will break loose when its 3, but hitting it 5 mins after its been naughty, and while its eating really isnt teaching it anything AT ALL!!

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
OK ... The reasons being that im peeved off is ....

YO should not have hit horse after 5 mins !

Dont really mind a horse being punished if it was naughty ( possibly debatable when it isnt her horse :p sitting on the fence with that one )

Flint you are exactly right by the way.

I have forgotten what the rest of the points where, I have a 2 yr old distracting me here

Status
Not open for further replies.