Rant WARNING ** .....How dare she ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinypony

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can unserstand why the OP is upset...but it's better that a youngster is taught repect than have it grow into a much larger, much stronger 3/4 year old with no manners and an attitude problem!

[/ QUOTE ]
I think we're in total agreement on that one. But I don't think that is what happened here. The YO taught this horse no useful lessons at all.
If a horse on a yard is a problem, then everyone who handles it has to co-operate on sorting it. If you don't use a common approach you can make the problem worse.
I didn't take this as a thread on how to stop this foal misbehaving at feed time, so I'm just commenting on the situation described.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Hmmm

I would say that as a YO she has every right to discipline the horses in her care/on her yard, and has am idea of what she is doing, hence the reason she runs a yard (I will probably get a barrage of abuse for saying that, but it is how I feel – my YO is in ‘Locum Parentis’ of my horse, or whatever the phrase is) I don’t think that any sane horseperson would give a horse a belt for no good reason. If your baby was rearing and her behaviour was as such that your friend warned her before she went into the field with her I would say that it is a case of spoiled youngster needing to be taught manners and how to be fed. Incidentally, at 11 months old the foal is a toddler (correct me if I am wrong, but I prefer horses that I can sit on!) and manners should be installed before they get too big for their boots.

Foal is clearly not bothered – you didn’t mention that he is now spooking at feed scoops and terrified of humans, so I would take it as someone trying to help you with the upbringing of your horse (and probably did you a favour) You also didn’t mention that the foal kicked YO into next week after receiving the whack – so she clearly wasn’t that affected by her belt!

Sorry about the lack of sympathy but I would have done the same thing as your YO! Teach them manners young and it saves a whole lot of hassle when they are yobby 4 year olds, and then you start saying how “the horse is too much for me he is so naughty and I cant cope” and then sell the youngster on for someone else to deal with, breaking your heart in the process (I have seen it lots of times, 2 of mine came that way) You have said that you are not strong enough to handle her – I know that the smallest person can handle the biggest horse if the horse has manners and has been taught correctly. Being young is no excuse for being an ASBO foal.

polyphonic

Visit site
do as i do as i say. my horse isn't a youngster and can be bolshy and a right handful (part of flint now) and wacking him only upsets him even more (previous owner used this tatic, mmmmm no wonder she sold him on!) unless there is a valid reason for YO to be in the field no offence she was asking for trouble waving a feed scoop around with a field of horses!

fizz-tally

Visit site
it would be simple if it was my horse,yo would now be wearing said scoop for teeth
grin.gif

having had foals they do need to be kept in line,but as with children you do it the second it happens.

sherwood'

Visit site
well if it was me i wud be raging too that someone else took it upon themselves to hit my horse- no way!

And u i think u r quite right feeding it- there is no goodness isn the grass and it is a growing youngster who needs the feed to keep her healthy.

Kelly1982

Visit site
So did your friend actually see the whole incident then if she was doing the stable??

And why did the YO have access to her feeds in the first place?? Surely that should of been your friends job.

filly190

Visit site
I consider what she did is correct, foals need teaching at a young age, a wack with a feed scoop is perfectly acceptable.

I have a yearling and she gets a sharp, quick reminder every now and again. I can only say the quicker they learn manners the better. If you dig out your horse books, they all advice this.

It is much better to teach foals not to do things now, then wait until they get bigger and let them win.

fizz-tally

Visit site
my yo would never ever hit a liveries horse,it is not up to him to decided how a livery deals with their horse.
you pay them for a service, which doesnt include them treating the horse like their own!

lexiedhb

Visit site
I think we all agree that yes manners are needed, and yes maybe even a belt is appropriate if given at the RIGHT time, not 5mins later, as it was in this case!!!!!!! Also could foalie of kicked YO into next week post whacking as she had already climbed over the fence............ I would also agree that YO's have the right to discipline horses in their care but as this foal clearly has other "carers" the YO should of just left them to it, unless she has been asked for advise etc!! I think any DIY livery would be shocked to find their YO disciplining their horse, as theroretically they have no need to be dealing with them!

not_with_it

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Dont really mind a horse being punished if it was naughty ( possibly debatable when it isnt her horse :p sitting on the fence with that one )

[/ QUOTE ]

If a horse showed agressive behaviour towards me it would be told off no matter who's horse it is. I am a firm believer that horses should have manners and respect people. They are far too big not to.

polyphonic

Visit site
and in anycase what ever happened to a sharp smack on the shoulder followed by a stern NO! i do not believe any book tells you to hit a youngster with a feed scoop, a while after the incident on the rump! i seriously have a problem with that type of discipline.

dieseldog

Visit site
Has anyone read FMM's post????

I think everyone agrees that if the foal got whacked 5 mins after the event it was pretty pointless and that foals that aren't given boundaries will grow up into horrible bolshy horses.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i do not believe any book tells you to hit a youngster with a feed scoop

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - sometimes you just got to use whatever's at hand....
wink.gif
tongue.gif

not_with_it

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
my yo would never ever hit a liveries horse,it is not up to him to decided how a livery deals with their horse.
you pay them for a service, which doesnt include them treating the horse like their own!

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you think it is acceptable for a YO to deal with a naughty horse and possibly get injured just because they cant teach them manners?

My YO is welcome to discipline my horse if she is being naughty and I would be mortified if I found out my horse had played up.

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm

I would say that as a YO she has every right to discipline the horses in her care/on her yard, and has am idea of what she is doing, hence the reason she runs a yard (I will probably get a barrage of abuse for saying that, but it is how I feel – my YO is in ‘Locum Parentis’ of my horse, or whatever the phrase is) I don’t think that any sane horseperson would give a horse a belt for no good reason. If your baby was rearing and her behaviour was as such that your friend warned her before she went into the field with her I would say that it is a case of spoiled youngster needing to be taught manners and how to be fed. Incidentally, at 11 months old the foal is a toddler (correct me if I am wrong, but I prefer horses that I can sit on!) and manners should be installed before they get too big for their boots.

Foal is clearly not bothered – you didn’t mention that he is now spooking at feed scoops and terrified of humans, so I would take it as someone trying to help you with the upbringing of your horse (and probably did you a favour) You also didn’t mention that the foal kicked YO into next week after receiving the whack – so she clearly wasn’t that affected by her belt!

Sorry about the lack of sympathy but I would have done the same thing as your YO! Teach them manners young and it saves a whole lot of hassle when they are yobby 4 year olds, and then you start saying how “the horse is too much for me he is so naughty and I cant cope” and then sell the youngster on for someone else to deal with, breaking your heart in the process (I have seen it lots of times, 2 of mine came that way) You have said that you are not strong enough to handle her – I know that the smallest person can handle the biggest horse if the horse has manners and has been taught correctly. Being young is no excuse for being an ASBO foal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but tosh ... yo has NO RIGHT whatsoever for laying a hand on her . ( scoop to be exact )

My yo and I get on well , she just does not know enough about youngstock, its a small yard so therefor she did not really have a "livery yard in mind" anyhoos im not going into details about how i know this and blah blah .

The fact of the matter is ,she hit her after the incident occured ( not straight away ) managed to jump out of the field reach over and whack her with the scoop . YOU DONT DO THAT .... you may well stay in the field and shoooo her away and shout at her and scold her that way but you do not reach over the fence while shes eating and decide to whack her one !

reason being I didnt mention that she is now spooking at anything is because it only happened this morning and i havent been out anywhere near her and shes still in the field , thats a bit silly. I dont know if she kicked out or not but the yo was over the other side of the fence .... What happens if she did kick out and hit the fence damaging her self ???? whos to blame then ? who pays for the vet bills ???

ME or the other half ??? Don t think so

The foal will be taught manners BUT LET ME AND THE OTHER OWNER TEACH HER THAT not the yo !!

and breathe !!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My YO is welcome to discipline my horse if she is being naughty

[/ QUOTE ]
As is mine.

I really can't see why people are getting their knickers in such a twist, and can only assume they don't really have any experience of handling youngsters - and the curved balls that they constantly throw you.

Chex

Visit site
I don't think its the YOs place to teach manners - it is the owners. I wouldn't be happy if my YO whacked Chex, but it is a totally DIY yard, so wouldn't expect it. I warn people not to chase Chex in the field, or hit him, because he will kick! And he has impeccable manners, its just his one quirky thing. If he dared kick me when I was handling he's be in sooo much trouble!! Anyway, not sure what my point is
crazy.gif

fizz-tally

Visit site
unless told they can the yo had no right to hit the youngster.
in all the time i have known my yo[going on 8 years] i have seen him handle big bolshy horses who kick.bite etc, not once have i seen him wack any of them
smile.gif

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
AAARRGGHHH .... SHE WASNT given responsiblty , read my other posts please , My friend who owns half was cleaning out her stable, yo took it upon herself to throw her feed and hay , when oh realised this she went out and she was already in said field !

polyphonic

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
AAARRGGHHH .... SHE WASNT given responsiblty , read my other posts please , My friend who owns half was cleaning out her stable, yo took it upon herself to throw her feed and hay , when oh realised this she went out and she was already in said field !

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd leave it it on here and speak to YO. people have funny ways and think differently to people. each to their own but i fully understand you on this. just advise her not to handle your youngster unless its an emergency. that way its you and the person who owns her who have full control over her discipline.

not_with_it

Visit site
Completly agree Amymay.

I worked on a yard with big youngsters and didnt think twice about smacking someone elses horse if I was handling it and it was being naughty.
Horses are a lot bigger than us and can do a lot of damage. They need to learn manners.

This is not a reply to the OP, I do not agree with hitting the horse after it has misbehaved. Timing is crutial.

Status
Not open for further replies.