Rant!

EllieBeast

Visit site
Ok, sorry this isnt aimed at anyone on here, although some may disagree completely with what i have to say.
Why on earth do so many people have something against those who use Dutch gags? why is this bit so hated?
on sunday, as i walked past someone on the way to the SJ ring (at a show) i heard someone comment that 'that person obviously cant ride - her horse is in a gag'. WTF????
My horse is schooled/ hacked etc in one of these -
http://www.longmelfordsaddlery.co.uk/shop/media/mullen_loose.jpg
and only jumped in this -
http://www.longmelfordsaddlery.co.uk/shop/media/mull_dutch_gag_3rings.jpg (with roundings on the first and second ring)

how on earth does that make me any less of a rider than anyone else? i challenge anyone to get on my mare and jump her in full control (without damaging her mouth!!) in a snaffle!
yes, i can ride her, and stop her in a snaffle, but it is far more comfortable for her and me to wear a bit with a little more poll pressure, so that the slightest touch will bring her back to me, rather than hauling at her mouth with a snaffle.
my instructor says that she has never seen my horse so happy with her mouth as she is in my current choice of bits, and i dont expect to be judged by random strangers by the tack my horse wears. i know that many regard this bit as a 'fad' or 'fashion', but i didnt start riding horses to look 'cool' - because of course freezing your bum off in the winter, and shovelling horse sh!t is attractive.....
i have owned my horse for 4.5 years - longer than any other person has had her in her life, what right does anyone have to tell me that i don't know her well enough to choose what is right for her? she is my only horse, she is a pet and a friend, not an object or machine, i would NEVER do anything to intentionally upset or cause pain to her, so why on earth would i use a bit that she wouldent be happy in? - she is extremely happy in her bit, the mouthpiece suits her to the ground, and the roundings make the poll pressure pretty low, she doesnt object. why do i get this stick, when those who wear a pelham get nothing? it is also a strong bit, is it not?
Rant over, sorry if i have inadvertantly offended anyone, if i have - it certainly wasnt intended.
Sarah xXx

Parkranger

Visit site
I know someone who rides in a gag and knows how to ride in it - I bloody hate people who make assumptions to why you're doing what you're doing with your horse.

I agree that you're better off using a bit like that than sawing at her mouth with a snaffle..........what's happened today to annoy you about it ;-) x

siennamiller

Visit site
I agree, some people just like to interfere but sweetie who cares. Shes your horse and you can ride her in whatever suits her
Just ignore them ( they are probably rubbish riders anyway
wink.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif
)

Ecila

www.freewebs.com
I see nothing wrong with it! Its a Happy mouth for gods sake! I dont ride my horses in gags purely cause they dont need them but if they did im sure i would! One has a hanging waterford for control! I wouldnt worry cause people would only bitch if you couldnt stop either! You can't win!!

EllieBeast

Visit site
i dunno! i suppose i am in a rubbish and negative mood already (results day tomorrow!). i just get annoyed really. no other bit seem to get as much stick! i cannot help which bit suits her best, this one just workes perfectly, she is really on great form at the mo, and i dont see why people have to interfere!
tongue.gif

sorry, i know its pointless - but i needed to vent about something today!
Sarah xXx

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I don't see why people get so het up about dutch gags when as you said, people in harsher bits which are also used when people don't need them are rarely critisized and they are usually the ones commenting on people in gags....!

I jump in one of these....
Pelham
And have been critisized for using one when in fact its the only bit she goes well in!

And I hunt in one of these....
Military bit
Which again I have been critisized for using, but I'd like to see anyone of them hold her in anything less
smirk.gif

Hattikins

Visit site
Dont worry about it, i have had loads of stick for riding my boy in a cheltenham gag, to me half the people i come across despise it and tell me so-but at the end of the day, he loves it, hes happy in it, im happy i have control in it and he is only ridden in it to jump and nothing else-if i was in a snaffle i would be waving goodbye as i charged into the deep blue yonder without a hope in hell of stopping.

if it works for u then stick to it, at the end of the day u know best
wink.gif

EllieBeast

Visit site
exactly, why do people interfere when they havent a clue what your horse is like? i am happy, my horse is happy. why on earth should that affect anyone else? and i defy anyone to say she isnt happy in it (see my pics on the 2nd pg of gallery if proof is needed).
Sarah xXx

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Only you know whats best for your horse because you know her well, everyone else can stick it and should bloody well keep their noses out!!!!

And breathe
tongue.gif

*Huggles* and cyber chocolate to you
grin.gif
Good luck with the results tomorrow!
grin.gif

Patchwork

Visit site
Ditto everyone else - also GOOD LUCK TOMORROW (results-wise). I've got A2s and I'm alternating between 'the world's going to end if I don't get into my first choice uni' and 'I'm bound to fail but who cares anyway?'
crazy.gif

parsley

Visit site
It is REALLY annoying and hurtful when you overhear things like this but I think the often people make comments like this not because they are critisising as such but because they want to seem knowledgable - then they can both nod and feel superior together. I suspect that often they don't want the person in question to hear (unless there is a personal grudge). You have a right to be angry at being judged but as you say - it is none of their business - and therefore you don't need to dwell on thier comments or take them into account.

I hope it all goes alright tommorow - I think I will go in later to avoid being pelted with rotten tomatoes by cross students
grin.gif

Oaksflight

Visit site
Ignore them chicken, I used to jump Hal in one (with just one set of reins, no roundings, whoops!) but found he's got no bend in it, so went back to a snaffle. I have a fight on my hands with him in a snaffle, so he's back in the gag for jumping until I find something strong enough that he can bend in. It doesn't make you or me, or anyone else, any less of a rider. In an ideal world everyone might like a horse that goes in a snaffle, but at the end of the day, horses get excited by jumping, and when you've got beasts like ours, it's difficult to hold them unless you've got the muscles of hulk hogan! Good luck with results by the way!
grin.gif
x

EllieBeast

Visit site
thanks Kat! look, how evil am i! she obviously doesnt want to jump that table with such a harsh bit in her mouth!
b44.jpg

*quickly stuffs cyber choc down gullet as fast as possible*
thankies! Good luck Patchwork, i'm going out to get lathered in the evening whatever the outcome!
Sarah xXx

eekmon

Visit site
OOhh! I am a baddy too coz I ride in one and have done for years ( not a fashion victim! ) My horse will not be ridden in a curb and is v strong! I also think some people on here are very anti Dutch Gags ( why? ) Should I be anti curbs 'cause mine will not be ridden in one? I am not! ( wait for the abuse) ANY bit in the wrong hands can be potentionally bad!
shocked.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
ooooh, you horrid person! Look at her, ears pinned to the back of her head, hollowing, really resisting you isn't she
wink.gif

Why aren't you coming to Weezy's party on saturday young lady???
mad.gif
mad.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

EllieBeast

Visit site
Thanks Parsley! i know that it is the best tack for her - if they had had a conversation about it with me, i wouldent mind, as they would be acquiring the factsa, but just assuming that i was incapeable seems harsh to me!
lol @ the tomatoes!! rain coat needed? nah by the time results are out, theres no need for anger!

thanks Soph, your right, holding beasts like ours in snaffle is no mean feat! - it didnt really get to me at the time, but on reflection, (damn me and my thinking, i knew it was bad for me!!) it just seemed so unfair! Good luck to you too, i hope all works out the way you want it too.
Sarah xXx

spooks

Visit site
i think parsleys got it when she said these morons probably wanted to sound knowledgable at your expense. you know what ellie goes best in and every time ive seen her (and thats a few now) she looks perfectly happy. treat these idiots with the contempt they deserve! next time anyone says anything like that just smile sweetly at them and say 'keep talking,one day your'll say something intelligent!'

EllieBeast

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
'keep talking,one day your'll say something intelligent!'

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!! i love it! she does enjoy her jumping, bless her (even when i am having a go at my PC instructor
blush.gif
)
is Ash taking Otts to PC tomorrow? i wont be there due to results.
Sarah xXx

spooks

Visit site
yeh she is taking him, just hope he behaves as he hasnt been ridden much due to losing a shoe. i have finally found a decent farrier who has sorted his feet out and they look much better, he doesnt stumble round like an old drunk now lol. good luck for tomorrow. are you at the rally next week? if so will see you there and we can have a good bitch about ignorants prats! lol

EllieBeast

Visit site
LOL, sounds good! yes am at next weeks Rally. Just out of interest, who is the new Farrier? (pm if u like)
Good luck to Ash, hope she enjoys herself, and that it doesnt rain on you!!
Sarah xXx

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Of course, this time I WILL remember to take my camera with me!!
blush.gif
tongue.gif

Only 3 days to go, sooo excited
grin.gif
grin.gif

Have you got MSN? Can you PM me your address if you have please, I've been meaning to try and get it for ages
laugh.gif

spooks

Visit site
guy called jamie gregory, hes an ex apprentice of my usual farrier who has more work then he knows what to do with at the moment, he put me onto jamie, when he came out he looked at ots feet and said does he trip up a lot and ots always trips up! anyway hes put shoes on his fronts with side clips as his feet are crap and also toe rolls i think he said they were, the horse hasnt tripped once since. he lives out bury way to.

Ginn

Visit site
Haven't read all the replies yet so sorry if this has already been said:

But imo a bit is only as strong as the hands on the end of it and I'd much rather see a horse ridden softly in a strong bit then ridden with hard hands and being pulled around in the mouth for the sake of wearing a snaffle. I also beleive that each horse and rider make an individual partnership and must use what is right for them.

EB - I think you're well within your right to rant about this, afterall, these bits were once invented for a reason and not fashion. Its a sad reflection on horsey society that that is what they are now most often regarded as. Yes is p*sses me off to see such bits inappropriately used but that doesn't mean they don't have a place. Whats more, the people who made the comment stated in your original post are just plain ignorant for being blinded by their own single mindedness!