Rant!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Problem is you get tarnished with the same brush as kids and adults who do not have a clue!

Ginn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have a fight on my hands with him in a snaffle, so he's back in the gag for jumping until I find something strong enough that he can bend in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a thought but what about sticking a second set of reins on the snaffle ring so that you can ride off that and thus achieve a better bend but your brakes are also there if you need them? Like I say - just a thought as it worked with one horse I used to exercise.

EllieBeast

Visit site
i know, but people shouldent assume. people dont get this treatment for wearing pelhams. is this because it is a more traditional bit? oh well, i know that it works for us.
Sarah xXx

Oaksflight

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a fight on my hands with him in a snaffle, so he's back in the gag for jumping until I find something strong enough that he can bend in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a thought but what about sticking a second set of reins on the snaffle ring so that you can ride off that and thus achieve a better bend but your brakes are also there if you need them? Like I say - just a thought as it worked with one horse I used to exercise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about this earlier actually. It will mean jumping with double reins (argh!) but if it works, it works. I have ridden him with one set on the snaffle ring, it didn't really work as well as just his normal snaffle for his way of going thought. Once Hal is fighting fit again, will definately have a go with two sets, and with roundings too. Thanks x

Onyxia

Visit site
Are you happy? Is your horse?
Yes?
Then count to 10 and ignore them.Yes there are people who think they look good but so what? your not one of them.

EllieBeast

Visit site
thanks Jen - my horse would soon let me know if she were over-bitted (big style!). and she is more than happy in this. i must learn to stop beiong so sensitive to others issues!
Sarah xXx

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I do exactly the same as you, school in a snaffle and on a strong day jump in a dutch gag but have the 3 ring not 4, i'd rather be going around axcountry course in control than having to pull! NOTE Not that I always pull on the mouth but you know what I mean it an expression. Ignore them, bet they are only jealous!

siennamum

Visit site
This'll be Sienna really hating her dutch gag as well then......
grin.gif

433897043hsyeVn_ph.jpg

Having the benefit of years I would have had a go back I think, cheeky buggers.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Both of my horses were in dutch gags when I bought them. Dolly is now ridden in a snaffle but Mac is still ridden in the gag and I have no intention of taking him out of it. He is generally hacked on the big ring, but when we have taken him cross country, he is ridden on the bottom 2 rings with roundings. Both of my horses are happy and to me, that is all that is important.

Rosyryan

Visit site
What is it about some "horsey" people that they think that they are at liberty to comment about the way in which others deal with their neds tack-wise etc? As long as the ned is comfortable and the rider is safe what's the big deal? I ride our "forward-going" mare in a KK ultra vienna with a kineton noseband, it's great she's happy and comfortable in her mouth and i'm more relaxed because I've got brakes! Better to have a bit that is effective than some person sawing their horses mouth and developing huge biceps!

frannieuk

Visit site
I used to ride my girl in a 3 ring, and up until last year she loved it, and i too was subject to critscism (sp) - I found it very demoralising and would never dream of saying something like to that people who obviously know how there horse goes best. However, a friends daughter has a 6yo that she has put into a 4 ring on the lowest ring and is now wondering why he is starting to rear - I have tactfully suggested that the bit may be something to do with it as she holds onto his head. Also I help arrange a very small local pony jumping show and I hate it when we have 8yo kids coming into to jump the 2' class and they're in their 3 rings and their spurs - it drives me nuts, what happened to learniung to ride from your legs and seat into your hands??? Having said all this, I emphasise that I have nothing against gags etc and cannot believe that people think they have the right to critiscise when your horse is obviously happy in her mouth - they simply show themselves up.

Knowledgable people get irritated by seeing horses wrongly bitted and uncomfortable, not by horses in fashionable/unfashionable mouthwear, whether it be a snaffle or 4 ring gag.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Take no notice of them.

I think that it's not a hatred of dutch gags, though. I think it's that it has become a fashion to use that bit, regardless of whether it is the right one and it's a backlash at people following the fashion.

Obviously it is for you and your horse. Doesn't mean it's ok for people to be indiscrete with their comments

matthew

Visit site
People will probably shout me down for this but my horse wentbrilliantly in a gag -and it was also convienient, i hacked out on the snaffle ring and then put it down on to the 2nd rting when we were showjumping if he was getting a bit strong-i prefer poll pressure and think it is kinder than killing a horses mouth!