Re-current colic thread update

BuzzyBea

Visit site
For all those that kindly offered advice on my recent thread about our boy's recurrent colic I thought I should give you an update.

As a last 'at home' measure we stopped all hard feed last Monday (6.1.15.) He had mild colic the following day but this didn't surprise me as he would have still had food in his system. He was then colic free which gave us great hope...until yesterday.

My daughter called me at work saying he was really bad so I left work - again - to be there. He was at his worst :( Tried walking him but his back legs kept buckling and he went down and kept trying to roll - we can usually stop him but no chance yesterday. When he wasn't thrashing he was lying prostrate and grunting.

While we were waiting for the vet to come my daughter and I prepared ourselves for the worst.

He brightened a little when the vet came and once he had buscopan in him he settled for a short while but then began scraping again and eventually went down although was still and not thrashing. Vet gave him a sedative so we put him back in his stable.

Talked eveything through with the vet and agreed that there was nothing non-invasive left to try. He left at that point for us to talk eveything through. We had a couple of hours of heartbreaking crying and after a huge amount of soul searching we agreed to go for a scope as a final treatment (although there is nothing at all to suggest that he has ulcers) and if that failed then to put him to sleep. He has suffered long enough.

Our vet doesn't have a scope so the earliest we could get him seen locally was Thursday. After more discussion we decided we needed him to be in the best place possible so took him back up to Rossdales last night where he was quickly made comfortable. The surgeon came and spoke to us at length and we have agreed to have him scoped this morning and if nothing comes up we will most likely go for surgery.

He is the most amazing, kind and gentle soul and he deserves this last shot. Once in surgery we have agreed that they should let him go if there is nothing positive that can be done for him.

ozpoz

Visit site
I am sorry - it is so distressing to be in this situation. I really hope it all goes well for him,fingers crossed. x

BuzzyBea

Visit site
Thank you so much xx

I'm working from home today but am finding it hard to concentrate and get much done.

Had hoped to hear from Rossdales by now about the scope but know that they will call when they are ready. My daughter and I are going from very positive thoughts to the very worst ones. Just feel totally drained right now :(

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Bless you. I'll keep everything crossed for you

Colic is soo scary. My mare suffered for 4 yrs. Twice a Year. We believe it was the clover in the field and she's been fine.for 2 yrs, since we moved yards

X

Shavings

Visit site
sadly i have no words that can make this situation all better

but big BIG hugs to you and your daughter, will be thinking of you at this difficult time

hope every thing goes well, i my self am here for you if you need a listening ear as i am sure many other HHO will be as well

xxx

BuzzyBea

Visit site
Bless you all thank you.

Surgeon just called to say, as expected scope showed nothing :(

Only option now is surgery. The surgeon is contacting our insurance company for written confirmation that they will pay just for our own peace of mind. He will then call back to confirm when it will happen. Could be any time from tomorrow afternoon until Monday as it is elective rather than emergency.

Can't believe we are in this situation :(

The surgeon understands that he needs to be as confident as possible that any treatment he carries out has a high chance of survival and recovery, if not he simply won't wake him up...

3OldPonies

Visit site
Bless you all thank you.

Surgeon just called to say, as expected scope showed nothing :(

Only option now is surgery. The surgeon is contacting our insurance company for written confirmation that they will pay just for our own peace of mind. He will then call back to confirm when it will happen. Could be any time from tomorrow afternoon until Monday as it is elective rather than emergency.

Can't believe we are in this situation :(

The surgeon understands that he needs to be as confident as possible that any treatment he carries out has a high chance of survival and recovery, if not he simply won't wake him up...

Gosh, I couldn't read and run. Am sending you the biggest hugest good luck vibes that there are. So hope that all turns out OK for all concerned.

OWLIE185

Visit site
What I can tell you is that your horse is in very good and safe caring hands at Rossdales. This must be a great worry for you and I hope that everything goes well for your horse and that it makes a full recovery.

frostyfingers

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear that you're no nearer resolving it. I hope the surgery provides the answers for you and him - colic is a horrid thing, there are so many variations and possibilities. Fingers crossed they can deal with it for you.

onemoretime

Visit site
My horse had a camera put in a small incision in his side to enable the vets to have a look what was going on inside him. It is far less invasive than full surgery. Perhaps your vets feel that this type of surgery is not suitable for your horse though. All the best and big hugs I know how terrible this is to go through I have recently been there with a very sad outcome on a lovely young horse.

spike123

Visit site
everything crossed for your boy. a lady at our yard went through a similar thing last year. Her horse is a normandy cob and had a problem with the make up of the intestine and too big a space between that and I think it was the spleen which meant the intestine kept moving. It did come right in time but she spent many a night worrying about her. I really hope you have some positive news soon

PorkChop

Visit site
How horrible for you both, there is nothing I can say to make you feel better or to stop you worrying, I have everything crossed for a good outcome x