Re-naming a Pony - Advice please..

RainbowDash

Visit site
Hi all,

I've owned my little pony Todley since mid January. I don't particularly like the name he came with - he doesn't react to it, doesn't come running down from the field if it's called etc. In fact he's pretty much indifferent to it.

I've been toying with the idea of changing it. I tried him today with a few names i'd come up with and one in particular he seemed to like/recognise - he pricked his ears and walked over to me in the stable after I said it.

Now i'm thinking about changing his name - stable name is easy enough but is it simple to change his name on the passport/chip etc? or isn't it worth the hassle.

Thanks all :D

Here he is:

tod.jpg

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
He is gorgeous! I don't see anything wrong with changing a horses name, But then I'll happily walk under a ladder too :D

I'd give them a call. I do know someone who changed horses name on passport and it was fairly simple, but think they had to pay if I remember rightly.

:)

Capriole

Visit site
If you want to change his stable name go right ahead!

(I am firmly in the no its not bad luck-camp, I think thats superstitious nonsense :p)

team barney

Visit site
If he is reacting positively to a new name and ignoring his old name change it :) I think he has made that choice easy for you, he clearly want a new name and has found one that appeals to him!!!

Don't know about changing the name on a passport, but I imagine if wouldn't be too difficult, and even if it is you could always just change his stable name :)

I am curious, what is the potential new name?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I had to change the name on my horse's passport for competing as she was registered with BE under a different name and the 2 names had to match perfectly. It was easy, she has a BHS passport and at the time it was about £30 IIRC, but that was nearly 8 years ago now!:eek:

Personally I wouldn't change a horse's name but I can't justify why I feel that way so go ahead :D

RainbowDash

Visit site
If he is reacting positively to a new name and ignoring his old name change it :) I think he has made that choice easy for you, he clearly want a new name and has found one that appeals to him!!!

Don't know about changing the name on a passport, but I imagine if wouldn't be too difficult, and even if it is you could always just change his stable name :)

I am curious, what is the potential new name?

Hi,

Please don't laugh - but he likes 'Robert' - I did try him with names similar to the one he has but no he liked 'Robert'.

Perhaps it's how I pronounce it? - maybe because it sounds more positive than his current name??

I'm going to ask one of the stable 'lads' to try it and see if he gets a good reaction too.

:D

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
Hi,

Please don't laugh - but he likes 'Robert' - I did try him with names similar to the one he has but no he liked 'Robert'.

Perhaps it's how I pronounce it? - maybe because it sounds more positive than his current name??

I'm going to ask one of the stable 'lads' to try it and see if he gets a good reaction too.

:D My dads name was Robert (although mostly known as Bob) so that name is a great name :) If he likes it, then why not.

team barney

Visit site
Hi,

No laughing, Robert is a good name, and he looks like a Robert too. I like horses with 'human' names :)