Reactions that make you just think 'er, what?!'

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Just needing a little vent!

Owner who stables her pony next to Jenny keeps a bag of hard feed outside the stable. Jenny has got out twice now - luckily only for a few minutes each time - and guzzled. We have realised she can open the bolt herself so needs the kick bolt on ALL THE TIME, even if Izzy is just filling a water bucket for a minute. (One of the times she got out we were away and a staff member did not secure her stable well enough.) YO has spoken to her and today I saw her too and asked her if she'd be able to find somewhere else for her feed. She said 'it's not my problem if your pony escapes!' Of course she is right but it is hardly the most helpful reply when a pony is being put at risk. And it is generally bad practice anyway to leave sacks of feed where horses and ponies could potentially get to them! At least that was always my understanding.

I walked away, took a few deep breaths, and then came back with one of my own lockable feed bins for her to use. I could kick off but to be honest I just want my ponies safe!

Lucky788

Visit site
People are so frustrating!

Not sure if this is any help but the horse next to me has an equi ping to stop him undoing his bolt he was an experienced escapee!

be positive

Visit site
Ive never known a YO that would allow someone to store a bag of feed right outside a stable.

I certainly wouldn't, all feed is stored out of sight in a secure building, leaving any feed outside encourages vermin and it seems extremely lazy if they cannot be bothered to go and get feed when required, the YM should be telling not asking!

holeymoley

Visit site
That’s nuts. Irresponsible for the reasons you’ve discovered but having feed lying about in all places just attracts vermin.

Not the same, a slightly funny reaction to someone when I said my horse couldn’t have haylage and she said ‘yeah you can see the sugar on it’.... WHAT?! I walked away from that one as I didn’t even know where to start with that. Could’ve been there for a while.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I don't object to people wanting to keep feed near their stables - heaven knows enough yards have problems with thieving, but you'd keep it in a metal feed bin to protect it from other horses / rats / passing dragons etc... Bizarre.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Glad you found a resolution but I agree, it shouldn't have been your job to sort! I've never been on a yard where you could leave a feed sack randomly hanging around 😖

Nari

Visit site
Mixed views on this. Yes it should be stored in a way that doesn't encourage vermin, but it isn't her problem that your pony can undo doors. I'm glad a solution has been found with the feed, and maybe it would be worth looking at an animal proof bolt for your stable door.

skint1

Visit site
I'm glad the feed is now stored safely- but you were completely correct to be concerned and her reaction was certainly odd. Our yard is very laid back but even we would not be allowed to just dump feed outside our stables!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Not the most empathetic reaction but it's definitely the YO's problem to sort - both the bolt problem and the leaving feed lying around to attract vermin problem!