Reality check...

Grinchmass

Visit site
3k? Seriously? Is there a reason they have let that poor horse get into thar state?
Sorry but he doesnt sound like much of a school master at the minute whilst hes skin and bone - in all seriousnes whats he going to be like when hes fit and feeling well?

be positive

Visit site
I know a million times less than AA but I would say he has hinds splayed out and straight under him, he is hurting somewhere.

Amymay, that hoerse isn't conformationally half decent though, is he?

He is half decent, it is the other half that gives concern, I also thought from the photo that he is very unlikely to be sound, he may trot up and appear to be but there is likely to be an issue causing such major muscle loss and unlevelness in his quarters, I think vetting would be a waste of money, best to move on and put him out of your mind.

Fun Times

Visit site
I've just gone back and looked at the most recent photos and it actually breaks my heart to see a horse brought to this and still being sold as if there is nothing wrong, like he is just meant to bear it and carry on. You don't need to be an equine expert to see that poor lad is far from o.k. I actually feel disgusted by the dealer's approach to this sale.

TickyTavey

Visit site
What a sorry horse. I can see why he's tugging at your heart strings. I think you've made the right decision to pass him by though. Just to add, I don't think 3k much for what you want, but way too much for this poor soul though :-(

be positive

Visit site
I think everyone who is slating the sales livery yard may be being unfair, we do not know the whole story other than the owner bought a new horse and turned this one away, he was then sent to sales livery, it may well be that he was sent there looking dreadful and now looks better, the owner is possibly pushing for a quick sale to keep costs down, it can take months to get a horse up to weight and looking well once they have dropped off muscle, especially if they have an underlying problem, those months will eat into the value of any sale.

The yard should have probably sent the horse back if it arrived looking poor but they may have thought it would pick up quickly once living in and in work, the owner may not be to blame but without knowing the whole story it is not fair to blame the dealer totally, the responsibility is still with the owner to keep an eye on what is going on while the horse is in livery .

Fun Times

Visit site
I guess I am just surprised that a reputable dealer would be happy to put their name to a horse that looks that awful. Most of the decent dealers I know would not have presented him for sale unless and until his condition had significantly improved.

Grinchmass

Visit site
I think everyone who is slating the sales livery yard may be being unfair, we do not know the whole story other than the owner bought a new horse and turned this one away, he was then sent to sales livery, it may well be that he was sent there looking dreadful and now looks better, the owner is possibly pushing for a quick sale to keep costs down, it can take months to get a horse up to weight and looking well once they have dropped off muscle, especially if they have an underlying problem, those months will eat into the value of any sale.

The yard should have probably sent the horse back if it arrived looking poor but they may have thought it would pick up quickly once living in and in work, the owner may not be to blame but without knowing the whole story it is not fair to blame the dealer totally, the responsibility is still with the owner to keep an eye on what is going on while the horse is in livery .

About slating the sales yard - do you thin it is acceptable for a reputable sakes yard to take a horse in this condition on? They're obviously not too worried about their reputation - which speaks volumes in itself

be positive

Visit site
About slating the sales yard - do you thin it is acceptable for a reputable sakes yard to take a horse in this condition on? They're obviously not too worried about their reputation - which speaks volumes in itself

Probably not but we really don't know the whole situation, I have been to see horses looking as bad, lame, totally not as described over the years and some to the other extreme being obese, as for their reputation I don't know who they are but they may now be between a rock and a hard place financially and have to try and sell in order to get paid, if they have kept him for a couple of months the bill will be running up and the owner may be behind in paying.
I wouldn't sell a horse in that condition and luckily I have never been sent one that poor but I have had them arrive lame, with sore backs, crap feet and with various other undeclared issues that required more time to fix than the owners were really prepared to pay for, I became much more cautious about taking sales liveries unless they were known to me as it can be expensive to invest in a horse with an owner unwilling to pay for the work, do you send it back and risk losing a months livery or keep going?? not always an easy clear cut decision, not everyone is as honest as the owners on here.

claracanter

Visit site
I got really engrossed in this thread and have read the whole thing. OP I think walking away is the right thing but I feel for the poor horse. I also followed your other thread about the dressage horse.Good luck in your search for a new horse and do please keep us all posted;)

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Thanks again for all the advice offered on this thread. In honesty I don't think his unlevelness behind is as bad as the pic portrays (it is just a snapshot in time with a somewhat fidgety horse) however I agree something didn't look quite right when I loose schooled him earlier and whilst I'm gutted that he won't be coming home with me I know it is the right decision. I just wish I'd walked away sooner as I'm now worrying where he may end up.

With regard to the yard, I wouldn't like to pass comment on their general conduct as I can only talk for the experience I have had with this one horse. Most others were out on the occasions I viewed the yard and those in had rugs on. I would absolutely hate for this thread to become something other than it was intended to be.

touchstone

Visit site
He looks like he has something seriously wrong with him to me poor lad. Heartbreaking às it is I think you have to walk away and are doing the right thing by not buying.