Recent lesson on my Tb cc welcome...

Vindaloo

Visit site
Hmmm, have deliberated about doing this for long enough but since I am pretty much alone out here I thought i'd pop some pics on so that you can all see what i'm up to and can pull me apart....

Brief history, Casper is a 6yo TB gelding. Had been re-schooled for a few months before I got my sticky mitts on him (after his racing career) and i'm currently trying to bring him on. He is my first TB and i'm in awe of him, would love some feeback and ideas for taking him forward.

I know there are more BTV pics than I would like, he was previously schooled in draw reins so am trying to work through this. I am also a shocker for round shoulders, heels up by my ears, oh and just about all the bad stuff you can imagine. However, I want to improve so please, any tips are most welcome.

048.jpg

038.jpg

032.jpg

031.jpg

054.jpg

Since I am so totally rubbish at this picture posting thing I daresay there will be lots of pics all of the same thing and all too big.

I apologise in advance if this is the case and if anyone wants to let me know how to do this sort of thing properly I am all ears, well eyes.....

Thanks very much

Sheep

Visit site
Can't offer much CC but he looks absolutely lovely and from the looks of his ears, he's really listening to you.

Looks like you are doing a good job with him :) I'd never have guessed that he was an ex racer, he looks like he's developing a lovely, round shape.

Vindaloo

Visit site
Can't offer much CC but he looks absolutely lovely and from the looks of his ears, he's really listening to you.

Looks like you are doing a good job with him :) I'd never have guessed that he was an ex racer, he looks like he's developing a lovely, round shape.

Ah, you know, he really does listen. He's a real sweetie and I do love him to bits. I am fortunate in that I have met an American lady out here who is helping us out (loads) but I have no idea how long for. I've never trained an ex racer and am so worried about doing the wrong thing with him.

I very much appreciate any help and advice.

Thank you very much.

Ladylina83

Visit site
Well someone else asked for cc earlier and I said about the rein not carrying one to the elbow , your elbow to bit line is pretty much spot one every time , don't beat yourself up about the perceived bad bits they seem good enough to not be that bad lol

PitPony

Visit site
I think your riding is rubbish and I should have him!!!!! :)
He is gorgeous...and I think you suit him with your riding style.
I would just keep things simple and be relaxed...he looks like he wants to learn and do well for you which is half the battle! Good luck!

SophieLouBee

Visit site
Overall your position is really great, I have seen, much, much worse people who thought they were fine!

First thing, look up! Look where you are going to get to not where you're at, helps with forward impulsion, and you know where you are going to ask for a transition/change of direction, giving him more chance to accept your aids and respond.

In trot you look great, but I see the heels creeping up and the shoulders rounding in the canter pic. Relax, and instead of getting your heels in his side, use your seat and lower leg to get him to go forwards. Looking up (again :p) will help you to stop rounding those shoulders, if anything, imagine leaning slightly back not slightly forwards too.

Hope this helps, looks like you are doing a great job :)

Vindaloo

Visit site
Hi SLB, you are bang on. I am staring down the whole time. I hadn't even noticed!!! Could this be why in the transitions upwards (more in canter) I am getting a head up and rather bounce on the spot movement rather than a forward and up?

Right tomorrow I am going to KEEP MY DARN HEAD UP. I am sitting too much on the fork do you think? I try not to but my old habit was leaning too far back, so i've clearly over done it trying to stop that and gone the other way.

Thanks very much, that gives me loads to work on.

icyfreya

Visit site
Don't have any advice but i think he is really really gorgeous, and you have fantastic position! stop worrying! haha i'd do anything for a position as good as yours :rolleyes: Good luck with him :)

trina1982

Visit site
Hi SLB, you are bang on. I am staring down the whole time. I hadn't even noticed!!! Could this be why in the transitions upwards (more in canter) I am getting a head up and rather bounce on the spot movement rather than a forward and up?

Right tomorrow I am going to KEEP MY DARN HEAD UP. I am sitting too much on the fork do you think? I try not to but my old habit was leaning too far back, so i've clearly over done it trying to stop that and gone the other way.

Thanks very much, that gives me loads to work on.

First of all, i think you have a lovely position. Lots to like!

You asked about your fork, and that was my main observation. You are sitting a little on your fork but it isn't because you're leaning too far forward (i think you're about right) but because you have a hollow in your back, tilting your pelvis. You might well (like me) have tight psoas muscles that tend to pull your knee up and your back forward (especially if you are a bendy person by nature). If you can find someone to help you with this, it really is a key part to a good stable position.

Good luck, and i think you're doing a smashing job.

Trina x

Vindaloo

Visit site
First of all, i think you have a lovely position. Lots to like!

You asked about your fork, and that was my main observation. You are sitting a little on your fork but it isn't because you're leaning too far forward (i think you're about right) but because you have a hollow in your back, tilting your pelvis. You might well (like me) have tight psoas muscles that tend to pull your knee up and your back forward (especially if you are a bendy person by nature). If you can find someone to help you with this, it really is a key part to a good stable position.

Good luck, and i think you're doing a smashing job.

Trina x

Trina, that makes a lot of sense. I can so identify with what you are saying. I am fairly bendy and YES!!!! up comes my knee, you can see it in some of the pics can't you.

So, should I try to draw my pelvis up? I have tried this but end up tucking my bum under and then feel too much on my seat bones. Oh bl**dy hell this riding lark is hard s*dding work isn't it?

I do have yoga lessons and will show her your message to see if there are some exercises we can work on out of the saddle.

Cheers for the comments. I'm made up, there's lots to work on and i'm definitely going to post again once i've worked on it a bit. Just as long as you don't all start charging me for lessons..... I'd need a lottery win I think.

Vindaloo

Visit site
I think your riding is rubbish and I should have him!!!!! :)
He is gorgeous...and I think you suit him with your riding style.
I would just keep things simple and be relaxed...he looks like he wants to learn and do well for you which is half the battle! Good luck!

Ha! Thanks Pitpony. I'd never part with him willingly BUT if you could afford the transport etc from over here i'd seriously think about gifting him to you. My biggest worry is not being able to get him home when we finally leave India.

I dream of getting him home to the UK and out in a nice big field full of grass. Selling him is just not something I can bear to think of.

Vindaloo

Visit site
Spring feather, I've had a quick glance through that link and i'm going to have a proper read tomorrow. It's almost 1.00 am and i'm going to be in trouble with hubby for being late to be now.

Thanks very much for sharing.

Night all and thanks again.

Topstripe

Visit site
He is simply gorgeous. You look like your riding him lovely and soft. We all beat ourselves up, us riders, that we rubbish...but don't you look super on him and look like you are doing very well at re-training...I can'f offer any help as I have full Irish Drafts (can't see them on a race track LOL!) just carry on what your doing, looks good to me!

trina1982

Visit site
Glad i have inspired you in the same way i was inspired when i discovered my current instructor! She's a biomechanics coach and ride with your mind instructer and has made a huge impact on my riding position. Best of all she has a riding simulator so she can really get her hands on you to help you out (even in canter :D)

Your yoga teacher will be very familiar with neutral spine, and thats what you want to achieve on the horse. These are the psoas muscles...
Iliopsoas%20drawing.jpg

Picture taken from this blog (scroll down fto the bottom for a bit about psoas, very interesting)...
http://freelanceinstructorsdiary.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html

You can see how massively important they are, but a heck of a lot of riders are totally unaware of them (i was one of them!). They are your core (along with the abs). I love this stuff, fascinates me!

So, onto you.....

I have my own 'fixes' for my own problem. Your best bet would be to consult a professional because i don't believe that 1)people interpret the same things in the same way (especially online) 2)my own fixes are personal to my own deep rooted problems/flaws:eek: 3)i'm not at all qualified to give advice that could potentially mess your back up if i got it wrong!

If you are ever anywhere near east anglia in the uk, i can recommend a simulator session with my instructor. Happy to supply her website for you.

Good luck!
Trina x