Recommend a dressage girth?

Drea16

Visit site
I am after a dressage girth for my welsh D. He is ridden in a GFS monarch saddle and currently using a wintec girth which is on the large side so looking for something smaller and a bit nicer! He's not normally the sensitive sort.
It needs to be black ( leather preferably) - budget is £100.
Would love a fairfax but out of my price range! Recommendations?

Carefreegirl

Visit site
We have a prolite, same company as Fairfax but £90 if I remember rightly. She went so well in it we also bought a long girth for her jumping saddle.

HayleyUK

Visit site
I've just bought an Ideal Affinity F2 - seems to suit my forward girth grooved barrel bodied mare! It was sub £100 from Saddles Direct.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I've just bought an Ideal Affinity F2 - seems to suit my forward girth grooved barrel bodied mare! It was sub £100 from Saddles Direct.

This would also be my recommendation for your budget, as I was going to buy one until I trialled the Stubben Equisoft.

acorn92x

Visit site
I used a Prolite girth and it rubbed my horse so badly she ended up having to have a week off while the sores healed thanks to the horrible, hard material. Awful things. I've got a Fairfax now (Brought second hand for £100 from an equine car boot sale although you see them all the time on eBay) which I love but have used a Professionals Choice ventech girth (Although it's not leather) prior to that which was brilliant. I think I paid about £60 for that so you'd walk away with plenty of change :)

Newlands

Visit site
What size do you need? I may pop mine back on eBay as ideally need bigger, I just got excited and impatient :(

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have the Prolite Fairfax and I found it slipped desperately until I let it get dirty. A trainer I was with a few weeks ago told me she had a pupil with the same problem with it, they just don't seem at all stable on some horses. Also very plasticky and really not worth nearly £100 :(

ycbm

Visit site
I was at a biomechanics day not long ago, and apparently the research is very clear. Whatever girth you use, you should have the buckles as close to the bottom of the saddle flap as possible, so maybe buy the longest you can get away with?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have the Prolite Fairfax and I found it slipped desperately until I let it get dirty. A trainer I was with a few weeks ago told me she had a pupil with the same problem with it, they just don't seem at all stable on some horses. Also very plasticky and really not worth nearly £100 :(

Whereas I find my prolite gets hard if I let it get dirty :lol:

Prolite narrow gauge for my section d with forward girth groove. She had a professional choice before but prefers the prolite, I think it's better because the buckles are so well padded. I have a fairfax for millie, not convinced it was worth the extra £ but got it before the prolite ones were available.

ihatework

Visit site

You are a WOW user aren't you? I've had 'problems' in girthing these saddles and have come to the conclusion that elasticated type girths don't work very well with them (or certainly not with my horse) - I think the 'give' in the air panels plus elastic in girths gives too much movement overall. I had stability and rubbing issues with a number of expensive girths.

OP - the ideal infinity girth is a lovely one, much nicer leather than the fairfax IMO

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
You are a WOW user aren't you? I've had 'problems' in girthing these saddles and have come to the conclusion that elasticated type girths don't work very well with them (or certainly not with my horse) - I think the 'give' in the air panels plus elastic in girths gives too much movement overall. I had stability and rubbing issues with a number of expensive girths.

OP - the ideal infinity girth is a lovely one, much nicer leather than the fairfax IMO

Yes, I use WOWs but I've always had double ended elasticated girths in leather or waffle and never had a problem. It's specific to this girth, which looks almost identical to the leather Jaguar I had on him, only longer.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site

My wow fitter told me that elasticated girths are not recommended by wow hq for this reason... but he did agree that my pro choice one worked very well. Just doesn't suit little cob like it suited millie.