Recommend me some reins

DressageCob

Visit site
Hello!

I am buying a new bridle and want new reins to match (bratty, I know, but my existing reins are on their last legs so will look tatty!)

I currently use plain leather reins with half rubber. They are ok but maybe a bit too thin. I hate the full thickness rubber reins.

Can anyone recommend a rubber rein or rein with good grip which is thinner than the standard rubber rein? I was looking at the Passier Soft Rubber rein, but I have never seen it in person so don't know whether it is what I'm after. So if anyone can vouch for it that would be grand.

Bonus points if it is in stock as Classic Dressage!

Thanks

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
They were on my list as possibilities, but I thought I'd find the little stops irritating. I shall cross them off!

The stops are what I love most as it really helps keep your reins even, but the rubber has just come away from the leather and broken up badly...

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hello!

I am buying a new bridle and want new reins to match (bratty, I know, but my existing reins are on their last legs so will look tatty!)

I currently use plain leather reins with half rubber. They are ok but maybe a bit too thin. I hate the full thickness rubber reins.

Can anyone recommend a rubber rein or rein with good grip which is thinner than the standard rubber rein? I was looking at the Passier Soft Rubber rein, but I have never seen it in person so don't know whether it is what I'm after. So if anyone can vouch for it that would be grand.

Bonus points if it is in stock as Classic Dressage!

Thanks

I use the rubber reins where there is no leather through the middle of the rubber. They are thinner and very flexible. Lots of people make them, i currently have aDecathlon pair and two Shires pairs but the more upmarket brands make them too.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I have some Henry James Saddlery reins, lovely and soft, thin and I've had them a couple of years now using them all the time and they haven;t stretched at all. I have the eventer ones though an earlier model but they do a few variations.

https://www.henryjamessaddlery.co.uk/collections/reins

I think these will be what I replace mine with, I adore my HJ bridle the leather is gorgeous.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I use leather reins with stops every 3", I've had 2 pairs bespoke from sabre so the stops are exactly where I want them. Good grip, comfortable in smaller hands and soooooo useful for keeping your reins the same length which really highlights straightness issues. I dont think I'll ever go back to rubber reins for Flatwork.

DressageCob

Visit site
The Sabre eventa reins look quite interesting. But seem to have mixed reviews.

I hadn't thought about using the stops to make sure my reins haven't lengthened. That's quite useful. I just think they would be annoying if not perfectly spaced for my hands! I have man hands (size 8 gloves!), but have got used to thin reins so hate the thick rubber ones.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Sometimes your horse feels straight but the reins tell a different story ;) having them 3" apart instead of the usual 6" is more versatile I find.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I really like these https://m.kramer.co.uk/Horse/Bridles-Accessories/Reins/Soft-Leather-Grip-Reins-with-Soft-Stops

I’d been eyeing up the schockemoehl version at every show for the best part of a year but absolutely couldn’t justify the cost of them so bought these ones instead with the logic that they were cheap enough to write off if they weren’t that great. I was chuffed to bits when they arrived and I realised they are literally identical to the more expensive ones (compared with a friends pair).

soloequestrian

Visit site
I have a pair with stops sewn inside the leather so they are smoother than normal stopper reins but you can still feel them. I think I got them on eBay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOFT-Fle...hash=item1c405af5d7:m:mAmLIkWdMN1G3SnaXbmK2mg). The company weren't impressive - the first set came with some dodgy stitches and they got shirty with me for asking for a replacement, but the reins themselves have lasted really well and feel good.

Cragrat

Visit site
I have a pair with stops sewn inside the leather so they are smoother than normal stopper reins but you can still feel them. I think I got them on eBay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOFT-Fle...hash=item1c405af5d7:m:mAmLIkWdMN1G3SnaXbmK2mg). The company weren't impressive - the first set came with some dodgy stitches and they got shirty with me for asking for a replacement, but the reins themselves have lasted really well and feel good.

What a fantastic idea! Not heard of these before, but now I am tempted - I hate normal stoppered reins with vengeance, but these look great!

AFB

Visit site
I have some Henry James Saddlery reins, lovely and soft, thin and I've had them a couple of years now using them all the time and they haven;t stretched at all. I have the eventer ones though an earlier model but they do a few variations.

https://www.henryjamessaddlery.co.uk/collections/reins

I'd also go HJ, I'm not sure which pair I have but they're lovely and take no breaking in (I hate stiff new reins) - the stoppers are a godsend and have really highlighted and made me aware of keeping them even.

rextherobber

Visit site
I really like these https://m.kramer.co.uk/Horse/Bridles-Accessories/Reins/Soft-Leather-Grip-Reins-with-Soft-Stops

I’d been eyeing up the schockemoehl version at every show for the best part of a year but absolutely couldn’t justify the cost of them so bought these ones instead with the logic that they were cheap enough to write off if they weren’t that great. I was chuffed to bits when they arrived and I realised they are literally identical to the more expensive ones (compared with a friends pair).
Oooh - thank you for this! I have also been lusting after the Schockemohle ones. I ordered the eBay ones, full size, but they were really short, and the quality wasn't great. Have ordered from Kramer before and the quality has always been good. Arrrgh - they only do them in black!!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Oooh - thank you for this! I have also been lusting after the Schockemohle ones. I ordered the eBay ones, full size, but they were really short, and the quality wasn't great. Have ordered from Kramer before and the quality has always been good. Arrrgh - they only do them in black!!

I would honestly guess they are made in the same factory as even the branding stamp is in the same place. If I was being super picky I’d say they were maybe a tad stiffer to start with but I just oiled them and they softened up completely.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I use the Eventa-style rubber reins (without the leather running through the middle) and they're lovely - all soft and floppy. I also don't like the normal rubber reins due to them being bulky. I like the half-grip ones, but find that they wear really quickly. I used to use continental reins, but realised that I needed a pair of extra long ones as H has a giraffe neck at times, and we like slopping along on a long rein when out and about (not on roads, obvs), so I thought I'd try the Heritage extra-full Eventa ones. Love love love them!